X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geezer
    replied
    Re: The PPACA - Implementation Phase I

1. there's a shocker for you: Obamacare failed. Who could possibly have foreseen that train wreck coming?
    2. The pseudo-shutdown forced Obama to run over to the zoo last night and pull the plug on a live camera feed of a panda bear, in some kind of fit of spite. I thought it was funny that's the worst he could come up with. Reports of the sky falling may have been exaggerated.
    3. I really want a t-shirt or at least a badge that says, "ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEE."

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    It looks like PPACA needs a bigger IT budget. Under these circumstances, given what's at stake, does it really make sense to have US citizens be beta-testers??

It's the last point, while relatively minor, that seems particularly galling: you go to enroll but you can't even find out what doctors and hospitals are available in the network? How does that square with "if you like your doctor you can keep her" promise? What good is a plan that doesn't let you use your local hospital but requires you to travel 90 minutes to a hospital that has a reputation for providing sub-standard care instead?
    http://twitchy.com/2013/10/01/surpri...tes-dont-work/

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

It looks like PPACA needs a bigger IT budget. Under these circumstances, given what's at stake, does it really make sense to have US citizens be beta-testers??

There are two key technological flaws in ObamaCare. First is the "hub"—the software to link servers at the Treasury Department, the Internal Revenue Service, Homeland Security and state agencies to verify the income and health-insurance status of enrollees and ensure that they are eligible for subsidies. The other flaw is the "portal"—the federally run IT platform that is supposed to let consumers compare health plans and select one that best suits their needs.
    The Health and Human Services Department did not begin testing the chief pieces of this IT system until August. The testing found that states couldn't consistently link to the federal portal (a problem that persists in some states), and that the hub couldn't reliably verify if a person is eligible for a subsidy, or accurately calculate how much the applicant is eligible to receive. HHS prevented independent watchdogs, including its own inspector general, from examining the systems before they go live on Oct. 1. The result is a host of troublesome gaps and dangers.

The biggest risk involves data security...."navigators" to solicit applicants and help them input their personal information, such as income and Social Security numbers. The navigators were hastily hired and trained (they are still being hired) and were not given extensive background checks. The personal data for millions of people will be entrusted to these navigators—and to a computerized system that has been rushed into operation.

Another technological hurdle involves health-insurance subsidies. At least a half-dozen states, including Colorado and Oregon, have said that they won't offer full online enrollment through their exchanges because the federal hub that is supposed to link to help them determine the subsidies people are eligible for isn't working properly. A link to Medicaid agencies also isn't functioning. This link is necessary to ensure that someone applying for a subsidy under a health plan is not Medicaid-eligible under his state's rules.

If the hub can't verify this, the individual will get booted from the ObamaCare enrollment system and shifted to a call center for confirmation by an ObamaCare agent who is likely to be fielding a deluge of complaints. Some people will end up getting subsidies they weren't qualified for.

The subsidies will likely present other woes. For example, separate cost-sharing subsidies intended to reduce a person's out-of pocket costs are subject to the budget sequester. As a result, some of the reductions in co-insurance won't materialize. Patients won't know what they will owe for doctor visits, prescriptions or hospital stays. The Obama administration hasn't begun to address the issue.

As for medical care, the current ObamaCare software doesn't even try to take a serious stab at letting consumers match the health plans on the exchanges with their particular medical needs, or with their providers, at the point of enrollment.
    It's the last point, while relatively minor, that seems particularly galling: you go to enroll but you can't even find out what doctors and hospitals are available in the network? How does that square with "if you like your doctor you can keep her" promise? What good is a plan that doesn't let you use your local hospital but requires you to travel 90 minutes to a hospital that has a reputation for providing sub-standard care instead?

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Color me confused (not hard, just played 18 holes of a sport some call "golf"). If House CR#1 was to fund all of the US Gov't but not PPACA, then how does it get funded (authorized, yes. But you need an actual appropriation to spend federal $$) if there is no appropriation bill for FY 2014??
    The vast majority of Obama care spending is mandatory, not discretionary. And the parts that were discretionary were already spent (like advertising for the new exchanges)

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Yup. Obamacare goes into effect regardless. Its already been funded.
    Color me confused (not hard, just played 18 holes of a sport some call "golf"). If House CR#1 was to fund all of the US Gov't but not PPACA, then how does it get funded (authorized, yes. But you need an actual appropriation to spend federal $$) if there is no appropriation bill for FY 2014??

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    If the government shuts down, is there any money to fund Obamacare (along with the rest of the Federal government)??
    Yup. Obamacare goes into effect regardless. Its already been funded.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

If the government shuts down, is there any money to fund Obamacare (along with the rest of the Federal government)??

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I swear, this has to be something from the Onion.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Funny!

Ron Johnson, like Mark Kirk, Kelly Ayotte, and Pat Toomey needs to start polishing up his resume for K street after the 2016 elections, because he's going to be out of a job.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In a special Sunday radio address, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) delivered a health tip to the American people, advising them to delay getting cancer for a year.

“We’re involved in a high-stakes fight over our freedom from centralized government control of our lives,” said Mr. Boehner, speaking on behalf of his House colleagues. “You can do your part by delaying getting cancer.”

He added that heart disease, emphysema, and diabetes were among a laundry list of conditions that would be “patriotic to avoid for a year.”

“If you delay getting any of these things for the next twelve months, together we will win this fight,” he said.

In closing, he reassured the American people that in the event of a government shutdown, members of Congress’ health benefits would remain intact: “We want to be in tip-top shape to continue to do the excellent job we’re doing for you.”

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Great article destroying conservative lies about healthcare:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/eic...care-will-work
    Senator Ron Johnson from Wisconsin, who I saw on Morning Joe this morning, should read that article. He made sure to tell everyone this morning that Obamacare was the Apocalypse.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Great article destroying conservative lies about healthcare:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/eic...care-will-work

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Here's the spin from Tea Party Patriots:

Senate Votes to Fund Obamacare
    25 Republicans just voted to fund Obamacare.

The cloture vote to end debate on the House passed Continuing Resolution happened just moments ago. 25 Republicans voted in favor of ending debate, even though they knew that it would result in Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid attaching an amendment to that would allow funding for Obamacare. These 25 Republicans were relying on 5 Democrats to switch over on final passage, rather than relying on themselves to draw a line in the sand and demand a 60 vote threshold to fund Obamacare.

They will try to tell you that on final passage of the bill they voted against Obamacare, but the simple truth is - their vote for cloture was a vote to fund Obamacare. Simple logic would have told them that if they voted on cloture and allowed Harry Reid to strip the defunding measure out of the bill that it would easily pass on a 51 vote simple majority.

Senators Ted Cruz and Mike Lee along with a few others have been leading the charge for the American people for the past 6 weeks to stop Obamacare. They have worked tirelessly to stand up for the American people and they have proven that the majority of the "ruling elite" Republicans are not listening to their constituents.

Special thanks to the following for listening to the American People: Crapo (R-ID), Cruz (R-TX), Enzi (R-WY), Fischer (R-NE), Grassley (R-IA), Heller (R-NV), Inhofe (R-OK), Lee (R-UT), Moran (R-KS), Paul (R-KY), Portman (R-OH), Risch (R-ID), Roberts (R-KS), Rubio (R-FL), Scott (R-SC), Sessions (R-AL), Shelby (R-AL), Toomey (R-PA), Vitter (R-LA).

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Well this is comical.

Apparently Kentucky WANTS and NEEDS Obamacare.

Knock me over with a feather.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/27/op..._20130927&_r=0

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Pretty even take from CNBC siting actual business owners and not craven snivelling pundits.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101068005

Leave a comment:

Working...
X