• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greyeagle
    replied
    Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
    Idea for the ACC-Big Ten Challenge this season. The winner gets Maryland.

Problem solved.
    Which, of course, means.......Loser gets Rutgers!

Leave a comment:

• MountieBoyOz
    replied

Idea for the ACC-Big Ten Challenge this season. The winner gets Maryland.

Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
    Hadn't seen either the clip or the article. Greatly appreciate the link.

So, who are you going to believe?
    While the two comments are obviously inconsistent, it's not necessary to characterize one as truthful and the other as a lie. No doubt the Maryland Prez said more than he should have, sooner than he should have. But most likely a tentative deal has been struck for the divisions he described. On Delaney's side, I'm guessing that some formalities remain to be accomplished, so he went into stonewall mode. While that's frustrating from a fan perspective, it's probably the correct response until all parties involved have signed off on the arrangement.

Bottom Line? While there's a theoretical possibility the deal could unravel, it looks like Illinois is changing divisions.

Leave a comment:

• UCBadger
    replied

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    MUhawks628 said this also. Do you guys have a source for this? My initial reaction was that while this is a very reasonable prediction, I hadn't heard anything indicating that it was a done deal.
    From this ESPN report

When Maryland and Rutgers join, they will move into the Leaders Division occupied by Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue and Indiana, Loh (President of University of Maryland) told the board of regents. Illinois then would shift from the Leaders to the Legends Division. However, Delany (Big Ten Commissioner) said no decisions on divisions have been made, according to a source.

Italics added by me.

So, who are you going to believe?

Leave a comment:

• pgb-ohio
    replied

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    I can't remember which, but they are going to be in the same division. Illinois is jumping from where they are to the other one to make room.
    MUhawks628 said this also. Do you guys have a source for this? My initial reaction was that while this is a very reasonable prediction, I hadn't heard anything indicating that it was a done deal.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by duper View Post
    I wonder if Rutgers will be a Legend and Maryland a Leader, or vice versa?
    I can't remember which, but they are going to be in the same division. Illinois is jumping from where they are to the other one to make room.

Leave a comment:

• duper
    replied

I wonder if Rutgers will be a Legend and Maryland a Leader, or vice versa?

Leave a comment:

• kingdobbs
    replied

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Big East Schools may vote to dissolve league.

Hell, at this point in the game, they might as well, kill off the Big East instead of trying to get other schools to join in that really don't fit the Big East profile. You know, like being East of the Mississippi. Plus, with that spot being reserved in the BCS bowls for the best of the Group of Five that's been tossed around, other schools may not want to sell all out just to get into a BCS league when all they gotta do is just be better than everybody else in 5 other leagues.

Plus, they kill off the league now with Rutgers leaving, the Basketball schools could work together to put together a new basketball and other sports conference pretty easy without having to worry about the football schools anymore.
    Well, it's a move that makes sense if either UConn or Louisville exit the league for another (for whatever reason, Cincy and USF aren't as big of linchpins) in the coming days. There's no reason for UCF to be associated with Georgetown and vice versa. At this point, of the newbies to the Big East portfolio within the past year, Temple is the only one that's actually become invested in it.

Some would say it was the split that should've happened a number of years ago, but given the ten year hindsight map, the 2003-2013 Big East was actually pretty solid as an 8 FB/16 BB league. But without football schools that were pulling their weight on one or both sides of the league (everyone except for Rutgers and USF, basically), the marriage makes no more sense, especially because most of the football-side replacements are serious anchors on the basketball side of things.

An all-sports league of Temple, Memphis, Cincinnati, SMU, Houston, UCF and USF, and any combination of UConn or Louisville that isn't gone to a "Power 5" will have pretty decent hoops, and will at least be the best non-power conference in football (especially if it can convince Boise, SDSU or any other western school they're better off in a "best of the rest" league). I would see this league angling for UMass, East Carolina, and maybe someone like Tulsa; not ideal by any stretch, but any port in a storm.

Likewise, an all-sports-but-football league of the 7 current Big East Catholics, plus Xavier, Butler, and Dayton would be a 3-4 bid basketball league from year to year. I could also see someone like St. Louis or Siena liking this league.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Big East Schools may vote to dissolve league.

Hell, at this point in the game, they might as well, kill off the Big East instead of trying to get other schools to join in that really don't fit the Big East profile. You know, like being East of the Mississippi. Plus, with that spot being reserved in the BCS bowls for the best of the Group of Five that's been tossed around, other schools may not want to sell all out just to get into a BCS league when all they gotta do is just be better than everybody else in 5 other leagues.

Plus, they kill off the league now with Rutgers leaving, the Basketball schools could work together to put together a new basketball and other sports conference pretty easy without having to worry about the football schools anymore.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    He does such a great job with his blog, it's awesome having him as a Hawkeye fan!
    Yeah, we know.

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied
    Originally posted by Clifton View Post
    He does such a great job with his blog, it's awesome having him as a Hawkeye fan!

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied
    Hahahaha!!! Risk for the Win!!

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Clifton
    replied

Delanay's REAL Motivation revealed!

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Agreed, the current division names are an ongoing embarrassment. I'm not sure that you've got the final line-up figured out, although your guess is certainly reasonable. But the necessary reconfiguration gives us a real opportunity to get rid of the L words, which would be a very good thing.
    On probation / not on probation?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X