X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    Can you imagine what the unis would look like? 8O
    Like someone stepped a few dozen ketchup and mustard packets?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Rutgers has a decent middle-of-the-pack ACHA Division 1 program, but no campus arena so I would not expect them to be looking to join the B1G, unless they find their Terry Pegula
      http://www.rutgershockey.com/ Their main arena is about 5-10 minutes north of campus by car or bus, not far at all, but not a Big Ten-caliber facility. Maybe D3 caliber.

http://www.umterpshockey.com/ Don't know as much about their arena.
      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Saw the press conference. Loh, UMD (Maryland) president, positioned this as being primarily done for financial reasons (to ensure they could salvage some sport programs) and academic reasons...primarily the CIC.
        kinda weird to hear the truth, huh?
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Rutgers has a decent middle-of-the-pack ACHA Division 1 program, but no campus arena so I would not expect them to be looking to join the B1G, unless they find their Terry Pegula
            Apparently when they built the RAC (Rutgers Athletic Center) originally they had plans to install an ice sheet but it was dropped due to costs. It will be interesting to see how this move effects this for several reasons:
            1) The RAC is old and they are working on either doing major renovations to it or building a new arena. If a new arena comes up they could probably justify the extra cost of ice making equipment.
            2) Rutgers will go from a school who's athletic department was operating with a $20 million deficit to a likely surplus just from TV and bowl revenue alone. This sudden infusion of cash from these sources along with increases in ticket sales and alumni donations might spur some new athletic programs.
            3)Rutgers would be at a major recruiting advantage considering that they are within a 3 hour drive of NYC, Long Island, Philly, Baltimore, and DC. (While it may not be quite the talent pool that Minnesota or BC have it isn't bad)
            4) They would be a natural rival for Penn State in hockey.

Combine all this with the fact they would be in a very dominant conference from the get go and adding a hockey program for them would make a lot more sense than almost any other Big Ten school with the possible exclusion of Illinois.

Comment

I'm sure this works out well for all concerned. But watching yesterday's Maryland/B1G press conference, I heard...Maryland's president Loh subdued as he explained the athletic program really needed the money and the school would greatly be helped by B1G academics. From Delany, I heard how he grew up in Jersey and loved the area, went to school south of DC and loved the area...and spent a year in DC loved the area...and was lucky to get Maryland. To me the drama sounded like:

A troubled smoker girl in her senior year who doesn't seem like she has much of a future...being proposed to by a preppy rich older jock.

When asked by her drop out friends what Mary sees in him...she hesitantly says 'well, I guess I'm not sure what else to do...and he's really smart'. When the jock is asked by his buddies 'man, what do you see in her?' He says 'dude..are you kidding me...do you see how well that girl is put together?'

Not saying this is the situation...but rather what it sounded like listening to the two parties.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Just when you think college conference alignments aren't going to get any more hideous, you see something like this happen. Blech!
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

How long until the Big Televentybillon$$ Network starts demanding more from tv service providers for their channel? Mostly, how long until my cable bill goes up more? Isn't it enough to pay $texas for football, basketball or hockey tickets?

Also, as seen on 60 minutes this week, Michigan's Athletic Department is in the black. Where does all the extra money go? I want to know who is getting rich on this money grab ('cause let's face it, that's what the Bigger Ten(14) conference expansion is). I love college sports for the traditions, the rivalries, the atmospheres. I'm sad that the college game is becoming more like the pros (with the exception of players getting paid for all the money schools make off of them).
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                    How long until the Big Televentybillon$$ Network starts demanding more from tv service providers for their channel? Mostly, how long until my cable bill goes up more? Isn't it enough to pay $texas for football, basketball or hockey tickets?

Also, as seen on 60 minutes this week, Michigan's Athletic Department is in the black. Where does all the extra money go? I want to know who is getting rich on this money grab ('cause let's face it, that's what the Bigger Ten(14) conference expansion is). I love college sports for the traditions, the rivalries, the atmospheres. I'm sad that the college game is becoming more like the pros (with the exception of players getting paid for all the money schools make off of them).
                    Being that most involved are public institutions, if the money is going somewhere funny, it's only a matter of time before something slips out due to tF.O.I.A. or something similar....
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Rutgers is officially official. Press conference on BTN at 2:45 CST.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Nobody is doing anything with the Izod Center right now. It's old and not all that close, but it could be a stopgap if, in theory, Rutgers were to want to make the step up and get a DI program going before they had a local arena available. (Or the Prudential Center, or the minor league arena in Trenton, or even a share at Baker Rink for that matter.)
                        Cornell University Men's Hockey
                        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          Nobody is doing anything with the Izod Center right now. It's old and not all that close, but it could be a stopgap if, in theory, Rutgers were to want to make the step up and get a DI program going before they had a local arena available. (Or the Prudential Center, or the minor league arena in Trenton, or even a share at Baker Rink for that matter.)
                          I'll stress this again. Rutgers wants to either renovate or replace the RAC. The best time to attempt to add hockey would be when this occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                            I'll stress this again. Rutgers wants to either renovate or replace the RAC. The best time to attempt to add hockey would be when this occurs.
                            Right, I know that, but renovating or (especially) replacing a multi-sport arena is a multi-year project (for which, as far as I'm aware, they haven't yet started fundraising). I just meant that if they were interested in adding hockey and wanted to speed up the timetable for adding the program to a point sooner than when the RAC would be renovated or replaced, there are decent interim options.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

I read somewhere that they dumped a quarter billion into their non-revenue sports, including an indoor rowing facility, which is something I didn't know existed until a couple days ago.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Have you tried D-III?? Less caffeine, more fun.
                                That's not a bad idea. I do believe there's some decent D III in WI. I'll have to check it out. I'm also sliding towards women's D1 hockey, that hasn't been screwed up yet by the big whatever.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X