Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Or, as the engineering professor giving potential students tours back in 2000 put it, "we hope to be right up there with the Stanfords and the Michigans".
    Since when is Michigan up there with the Stanfords?
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
      That's their full official name, it even says so on their official seal:

*****http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Rutgers%2C_The_State_University_of_New_Jersey_logo .png******

So, regardless of what happens with the Big Tewelve, I think RtSUoNJ should be mocked for having such a cumbersome, marketing-driven name.
      interesting that there are more letters in RtSUoNJ than Rutgers. For sure, RtSUoNJ has to be mocking.

heck, RtSUoNJ is more like a password.

Comment

Is Rutgers official?
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          interesting that there are more letters in RtSUoNJ than Rutgers. For sure, RtSUoNJ has to be mocking.

heck, RtSUoNJ is more like a password.
          It probably is used by quite a few as a password, perhaps with 1766 tacked on if numbers are required.

BTW, the same number of letters, not more.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If you look at it cross-eyed, RtSUoNJ's seal looks like something out of an eye puzzle book. Trippy.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              interesting that there are more letters in RtSUoNJ than Rutgers.
              It's been a long time since I learned to count, so maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it's the same number of letters.
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

It's been a long time since I learned to count, so maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it's the same number of letters.
                What 1766 letters? Seems about right.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

MD and RU will be Leaders, Illinois becoming a Legend.

Year 2 and those division names are no less ridiculous.

Comment

Maybe he meant more different letters since Rutgers has two Rs.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Hey, Rutgers would already have an instate rival if they added hockey!

...but they are MORE than welcome to not add it, if that means the Big Tfourthirtwelevten Hockey Conference never plays a game
                      Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Better yet: BU is in there.
                        BU to the B1G would be awesome!! We could win some football games right off the bat
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

wow- the caps make a nice optical illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
                            that's why we don't give a **** about the whole state of Michigan.

Except when it comes to golfing and leisure
                            Now my version, "I don't give a **** for the whole state of Ohio, 'cause I'm from Maryland" won't be nearly as amusing.

Since when is Michigan up there with the Stanfords?
                            Hey, not my quote, it was the engineering professor's quote. And as far as undergrad engineering, both are consistently ranked in the top 10. At the time, I believe Maryland's engineering school was ranked #23.

With Maryland joining, they will now claim the "ugly helmet" title. Also, I think we should add Maine to the B1G. 3 UMs will not be enough.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

I don't like this move at all, primarily for selfish reasons. I like that the Big Ten is (was now I suppose) THE conference of the Midwest. There ain't nothin Midwest about Jersey and crab cakes. It's not even an attractive addition on either end. Maryland isn't what they used to be in basketball and the football team, well that's its own animal. Rutgers is... Rutgers. I just don't find that to be an enticing team.

If it was up to me the Big Ten would have stopped at 12, or if it needed to expand they should've added Pitt and Syracuse last year. The next move is 16, and they probably won't be leaving soon. I'm not sure who the next two could be. The Kansas school? Possibly but Kansas and ksu are attached at the hip. Steal Missouri from the SEC after we shut them out last year? Seems like a long shot.

I thought the Big Ten came out of realignment on top after the first wave by staying at 12. By waiting to go to 14 theyre stuck with leftovers and ended up on the losing end.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                I don't like this move at all, primarily for selfish reasons. I like that the Big Ten is (was now I suppose) THE conference of the Midwest. There ain't nothin Midwest about Jersey and crab cakes. It's not even an attractive addition on either end. Maryland isn't what they used to be in basketball and the football team, well that's its own animal. Rutgers is... Rutgers. I just don't find that to be an enticing team.

If it was up to me the Big Ten would have stopped at 12, or if it needed to expand they should've added Pitt and Syracuse last year. The next move is 16, and they probably won't be leaving soon. I'm not sure who the next two could be. The Kansas school? Possibly but Kansas and ksu are attached at the hip. Steal Missouri from the SEC after we shut them out last year? Seems like a long shot.

I thought the Big Ten came out of realignment on top after the first wave by staying at 12. By waiting to go to 14 theyre stuck with leftovers and ended up on the losing end.
                                It's all about marketing now. Take off your "how competitive they are at football" glasses and look at the big picture for the Big 10 Network (huge moneymaker and shared revenue, what a concept) and the overall appeal of the schools academically and in all sports not just football and basketball.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X