Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

I think Rutgers is a good addition, both academically and marketing-wise... When all this shuffling started, they were always linked to the B1G... Although not quite on the academic level of Northwestern, they compare favorably to what the rest of the B1G can offer... Just like Northwestern, there is a trade off in academics/research and sports....

Maryland, I'm just not familiar with what they can offer academically... I know as far as Mid-Atlantic schools go, they are not Duke, Virginia, or UNC when it comes to learning among major conference schools... Even in-state I believe Georgetown and John's Hopkins easily top them... But they do bring a decent sports following...

I've got to wonder what the ripple effects of this move will be now... Just gotta wait and see I guess....
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      I think Rutgers is a good addition, both academically and marketing-wise... When all this shuffling started, they were always linked to the B1G... Although not quite on the academic level of Northwestern, they compare favorably to what the rest of the B1G can offer... Just like Northwestern, there is a trade off in academics/research and sports....

Maryland, I'm just not familiar with what they can offer academically... I know as far as Mid-Atlantic schools go, they are not Duke, Virginia, or UNC when it comes to learning among major conference schools... Even in-state I believe Georgetown and John's Hopkins easily top them... But they do bring a decent sports following...

I've got to wonder what the ripple effects of this move will be now... Just gotta wait and see I guess....
      Georgetown is in DC and plays FCS football (badly). JHU is a Division III school.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
        Rutgers does have over 55,000 students, it's not as if they are some obscure east coast liberal arts college.
        I don't think most people would realize that Rutgers is The State University of New Jersey.

Here we can call them Rutgers, tSUNJ....

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          I don't think most people would realize that Rutgers is The State University of New Jersey.

Here we can call them Rutgers, tSUNJ....
          That's their full official name, it even says so on their official seal:

*****http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Rutgers%2C_The_State_University_of_New_Jersey_logo .png******

So, regardless of what happens with the Big Tewelve, I think RtSUoNJ should be mocked for having such a cumbersome, marketing-driven name.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Virginia Tech is still officially Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

*****http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/23/Virginiatechseal.svg/200px-Virginiatechseal.svg.png******
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Academically, Maryland and Rutgers are about even, and Nebraska is the only B1G team they compare favorably with. They're both about on par with Indiana/Purdue/Iowa/Minnesota/Michigan State.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                How long before we get "Maryland/Rutgers adding D1 hockey?" threads?
                Rutger's in New Jersey! Rutger's in New Jersey!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Georgetown is in DC (I think that was already covered). Hopkins is a private university and great at what they do (med, eng, business) but not on most "in state" students radar. University of Maryland is a good school, the only in state school I bothered to apply to. There aren't many public schools to choose from in Maryland (College Park, UMBC, Towson, Salisbury). Maryland isn't a Michigan, Northwestern or Penn State. But certainly it is as good a Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, tOSU.
                  Or, as the engineering professor giving potential students tours back in 2000 put it, "we hope to be right up there with the Stanfords and the Michigans".

I'm surprised that Maryland is willing to give up the basketball rivalries with Duke and UNC.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

I may be wrong, but I thought for a conference to offer a sanctioned sport at least 50% of the conference schools must have it. Could this mess up the BTHC?
                    Better dead than Red

Comment

From a sports position, the question is do the schools raise the average of the B1Gs sports? Perhaps not. But here's an interesting take on just how the B1G might reposition these schools. That is to say...the magic that could happen when you combine the B1G and the east coast. This from a PSU perspective that would have the best insights into such an issue:

Rutgers, Maryland attractive to Big Ten for good reasons:

It only matters that the Big Ten is arriving. And whatever can be said about the nadir that was reached in Big Ten football this season, the brand and its major names carry a pedigree and a heritage that will immediately create a buzz even in largely pro sports areas. Don't think so? Wait and see.

Jim Delany knows what he's doing. And what he's doing is making money. When Michigan and Ohio State and Nebraska and Penn State start showing up on a regular basis in Piscataway and College Park, suddenly major-college football will have arrived. It will then be a legit contender for the local sports dollar – especially when Penn State and Ohio State fans are driving in.

Nothing like it has ever happened in Eastern major metros. Name-brand college football has not been part of the landscape here on a regular basis since Red Blaik was running the great Army teams up and down the I-95 corridor (before there was an I-95 corridor). It will be fascinating to watch.

Effects on Penn State? I can think of one major one right away: Two of the Nittany Lions' major recruiting gardens will be tougher to cultivate.

It used to be that Larry Johnson and Ron Vanderlinden had no real competition for kids in Jersey and Maryland and the Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach areas of Virginia. ACC and Big East football cannot compete with the Big Ten as a lure – even when the massive Midwestern conference is in its down years. The Big Ten simply matters more. Huge stadiums full of 80-, 90-, 100,000 people have profound impacts on recruits. The ACC and Big East simply don't have that.

Rutgers and Maryland have been ******** by their conferences, not their regions. Theirs are two of the most fertile talent stocks in the North.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefoo...active_to.html
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                        Most people in Michigan do: anytime, anywhere, any sport!
                        that's why we don't give a **** about the whole state of Michigan.

Except when it comes to golfing and leisure

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          The real key for who getss added to the Big Ten is research money, not football.

(Yes, research pulls in more money than football, the CIC is a huge deal, and you'd better be an AAU school if you want into the Big Ten. Nebraska is insanely lucky that they didn't get the boot from the AAU earlier.)

Name two "gettable" schools that would be better than Rutgers and Maryland. I'll give you a hint, this link should let you know who the eligible candidates are.
                          The absence of Boston College tells me this "organization" is a joke!!
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ski View Post
                            I may be wrong, but I thought for a conference to offer a sanctioned sport at least 50% of the conference schools must have it. Could this mess up the BTHC?
                            That popped into my mind as well. The Big Ten should just do the only thing that makes sense - require all new schools to use their first 85 million in BTN revenue to fully fund a hockey program and arena
                            Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              The absence of Boston College tells me this "organization" is a joke!!
                              Better yet: BU is in there.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ski View Post
                                I thought it was six schools, but I could certainly be wrong. In the same vein though, Maryland and Rutgers will add two Men's Lacrosse programs, bringing the total in the B1G to five, so (if I'm right) only one more would be needed to sanction a conference in what is quickly becoming the most attractive spring sport.
                                SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                                UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                                Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                                Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                                UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                                UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X