Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

I was cool to Nebraska and have since warmed up. Perhaps it was the realization that football drives the bus.

I hope I warm up to Maryland and Rutgers. But I'm not sure that as the country's most coveted conference...that these are the schools you choose.
    Go Gophers!

Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

This chart is probably the top reason why Rutgers:

*****http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/09/19/us/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-NYCTV/fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-NYCTV-blog480.png******

The following article is a key resource to the issue:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...haos/?emc=eta1
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      I was cool to Nebraska and have since warmed up. Perhaps it was the realization that football drives the bus.

I hope I warm up to Maryland and Rutgers. But I'm not sure that as the country's most coveted conference...that these are the schools you choose.
      Given that Football is king to all things athletics department at schools, I wouldn't ever dream of saying that the Big Ten is anywhere near being the most coveted. I would argue that the SEC fits the bill there.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Given that Football is king to all things athletics department at schools, I wouldn't ever dream of saying that the Big Ten is anywhere near being the most coveted. I would argue that the SEC fits the bill there.
        Maybe from an academic etc. complete package perspective? Maybe. It's not like football players get an education in the SEC.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Any idea what the SEC Network brings to the table?

Football isn't King, money is, as always. Last I saw, the revenue in the SEC isn't evenly split, as it is in the B1G. So if you are not part of the top 4 SEC teams, the B1G may be a much better conference fit. It's why Texas was coveted by the B1G, but not the other way around, and why Nebraska was ready to bail so quickly on the Big 12. When Notre Dame is third in revenue in the state having their own TV deal- money is a big deal.

IMHO.

(edit- and that does not consider the dollars outside of sport that are worked together in the B1G)

Comment

The real key for who getss added to the Big Ten is research money, not football.

(Yes, research pulls in more money than football, the CIC is a huge deal, and you'd better be an AAU school if you want into the Big Ten. Nebraska is insanely lucky that they didn't get the boot from the AAU earlier.)

Name two "gettable" schools that would be better than Rutgers and Maryland. I'll give you a hint, this link should let you know who the eligible candidates are.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Maybe from an academic etc. complete package perspective? Maybe. It's not like football players get an education in the SEC.
              I wonder how much of an education their students in general receive.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                The real key for who getss added to the Big Ten is research money, not football.

(Yes, research pulls in more money than football, the CIC is a huge deal, and you'd better be an AAU school if you want into the Big Ten. Nebraska is insanely lucky that they didn't get the boot from the AAU earlier.)

Name two "gettable" schools that would be better than Rutgers and Maryland. I'll give you a hint, this link should let you know who the eligible candidates are.
                I did notice that THE is in front of Penn State but not Ohio State.

Maryland will have to pay $50 million to leave the ACC. This from a school that just cut 7 varsity sports for budgetary reasons.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

To back this up, a quick google fu search-

UM's atheltic revenue budget is somewhere around $120-130M (expenses are near there, but lower). Whereas the reseach budget is about 10x that.

Knowing that my first school is similar- $25M in athletics, +$100M in resarch.... well, I'm sure that the rest of the B1G schools are 5-10x research to athletic budget. Noting that altheltic$$> football$$.

Comment

I would have said Missouri, Virginia, BC, Syracuse and GTech. FSU would have been tempting but just way outside of scope in culture and scholastics. All schools with big names...Mizzou has the football program to match. Having said that, Missouri appears to have scholastics on par with Nebraska and GTech is a ways outside of the target region. The south is kind of a different animal in some ways. I thought BC and Syracuse were AAU schools.

I think Virginia would have been a top choice great scholastics big name school...but not tremendous athletics. In the end, I think I would have ended up with the top choices I had two years ago: Missouri and Maryland. If I was set on expanding east, I would have said Maryland and BC (or Syracuse). Most people here have never heard of Rutgers.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

WaPo reports MD joining B1G. Presser on BTN @ 2:30 pm.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        WaPo reports MD joining B1G. Presser on BTN @ 2:30 pm.
                        In spite of my other post...I would have much preferred the B1G stand pat. Who knows what options might have opened up...I get the next TV contracts coming up...but this is permanent. Its smelling a bit more like Delaney wants a legacy.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

I would have said Missouri, Virginia, BC, Syracuse and GTech. FSU would have been tempting but just way outside of scope in culture and scholastics. All schools with big names...Mizzou has the football program to match. Having said that, Missouri appears to have scholastics on par with Nebraska and GTech is a ways outside of the target region. The south is kind of a different animal in some ways. I thought BC and Syracuse were AAU schools.

I think Virginia would have been a top choice great scholastics big name school...but not tremendous athletics. In the end, I think I would have ended up with the top choices I had two years ago: Missouri and Maryland. If I was set on expanding east, I would have said Maryland and BC (or Syracuse). Most people here have never heard of Rutgers.
                          As far as the Big Ten is concerned, Syracuse is going to suffer the fate that Nebraska would have faced if the Big Ten had waited a year before inviting them: Syracuse voluntarily withdrew from the AAU in 2011. They won't ever get a Big Ten invite.

Edited to Add: Of the schools you mentioned in your post, only Missouri, Maryland, Virginia, Rutgers and GTU are in the AAU.

Comment

How long before we get "Maryland/Rutgers adding D1 hockey?" threads?
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

In spite of my other post...I would have much preferred the B1G stand pat. Who knows what options might have opened up...I get the next TV contracts coming up...but this is permanent. Its smelling a bit more like Delaney wants a legacy.
                              Ideally, we would kick Nebraska out and add Notre Dame.

Comment

Working...
                              X