Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

    Why does everything have to do with marketing and the almighty freaking dollar? Why does the big whatever need more money than some small states? The big whatever is a non-profit org. Boosters shovel money into the furnaces of these schools like there's no tomorrow. This is so stupid. Now if the big whatever was going to dole out millions to the non-hockey schools to help them fire up a program, well, that would be money well spent, they are expanding the horizons of the schools and growing new sports. Like that's ever going to happen.

    How many tv's in Maryland are going to turn on the big whatever conference to watch UW play OSU in hockey? Maybe 10? How about NW play Indiana in field hockey? Will I want to watch "The Journey" about Rutgers football? Hell no.

    So the next move will be to get west coast exposure. The pac whatever sucked up all the viable options. I'm sure Delaney wil coax someone out of the pac whatever.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

      Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Why does everything have to do with marketing and the almighty freaking dollar? Why does the big whatever need more money than some small states? The big whatever is a non-profit org. Boosters shovel money into the furnaces of these schools like there's no tomorrow. This is so stupid. Now if the big whatever was going to dole out millions to the non-hockey schools to help them fire up a program, well, that would be money well spent, they are expanding the horizons of the schools and growing new sports. Like that's ever going to happen.

      How many tv's in Maryland are going to turn on the big whatever conference to watch UW play OSU in hockey? Maybe 10? How about NW play Indiana in field hockey? Will I want to watch "The Journey" about Rutgers football? Hell no.

      So the next move will be to get west coast exposure. The pac whatever sucked up all the viable options. I'm sure Delaney wil coax someone out of the pac whatever.
      Have you tried D-III?? Less caffeine, more fun.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

      ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

      Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

      I want to live forever. So far, so good.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

        Maryland is about the Big10 Washington DC alumni base... nothing more, nothing less. To be honest, given the way DC is, even without the ACC already existing this doesn't sound as nutty as one would make it out to be. I think it would be easier with all the transplants for Maryland fans to have rivalries with those groups. The only conference foes that are well represented around here are Virginia and VTech grads.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

        Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey


        NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          It's all about marketing now. Take off your "how competitive they are at football" glasses and look at the big picture for the Big 10 Network (huge moneymaker and shared revenue, what a concept) and the overall appeal of the schools academically and in all sports not just football and basketball.
          Is that a big enough boost to nullify the fact that each school now gets a further watered down share of the network? What about any potential research money that might start going to Maryland or Rutgers because now they have to share that (considerably larger, much more important) pie as well?
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

          BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


          At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

          Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

            Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            With Maryland joining, they will now claim the "ugly helmet" title. Also, I think we should add Maine to the B1G. 3 UMs will not be enough.
            You still have the ugly hemet title -- sorry. And since when is Maryland called UM? It's Duluth whom they will be confused with if anyone.
            sigpic

            Let's Go 'Tute!

            Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

            2012 Poser Of The Year

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

              Does this move (these moves) begin in the 2013-2014 season? Or when?
              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

              Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                Does this move (these moves) begin in the 2013-2014 season? Or when?
                July 1, 2014
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

                Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                  Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                  Does this move (these moves) begin in the 2013-2014 season? Or when?
                  Maryland's membership date is effective July 1, 2014, so they will begin competition in the 2014-15 season, per Maryland's press release.
                  UConn -- Clarkson

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                    Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                    Maryland's membership date is effective July 1, 2014, so they will begin competition in the 2014-15 season, per Maryland's press release.
                    Thanks, I just saw that on the BTN (the network that's going to make out so well from this move). I guess I've already bought into it.
                    Last edited by aygwm2; 11-19-2012, 06:56 PM.
                    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

                    Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                      Do Maryland or Rutgers have any established club hockey programs that could lead to D1 hockey?
                      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

                      Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                        Saw the press conference. Loh, UMD (Maryland) president, positioned this as being primarily done for financial reasons (to ensure they could salvage some sport programs) and academic reasons...primarily the CIC.
                        Go Gophers!

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                          Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                          Do Maryland or Rutgers have any established club hockey programs that could lead to D1 hockey?
                          Well.......
                          Maryland is ACHA 2. They tried ACHA 1 but they cannot recruit (ala Penn State, Delaware, Liberty, etc.). So the team pretty much did not do so well @ ACHA 1. They've dropped down to ACHA 2 and still struggle. What could be in their favor is that (I think) Cole Field House still has the piping for ice, but nothing has been through those pipes since the early 70's. The Gardens, Ice House in Laurel could be a stop gap (it's noworse than what Bentley uses), but no way is it up to B1G standards.

                          Not sure about Rutgers.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                          ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

                          Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                          I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                            Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Well.......
                            Maryland is ACHA 2. They tried ACHA 1 but they cannot recruit (ala Penn State, Delaware, Liberty, etc.). So the team pretty much did not do so well @ ACHA 1. They've dropped down to ACHA 2 and still struggle. What could be in their favor is that (I think) Cole Field House still has the piping for ice, but nothing has been through those pipes since the early 70's. The Gardens, Ice House in Laurel could be a stop gap (it's noworse than what Bentley uses), but no way is it up to B1G standards.

                            Not sure about Rutgers.
                            Rutgers has a decent middle-of-the-pack ACHA Division 1 program, but no campus arena so I would not expect them to be looking to join the B1G, unless they find their Terry Pegula
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                              I wonder if Mr. Under Armor is a hockey fan?

                              Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Why does everything have to do with marketing and the almighty freaking dollar?
                              You're either naive or this is a hell of a bit.

                              Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


                              And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

                              ~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                                Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                                I wonder if Mr. Under Armor is a hockey fan?
                                Can you imagine what the unis would look like? 8O
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X