Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

    Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Most people here have never heard of Rutgers.
    I wouldn't say that's true.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Most people here have never heard of Rutgers.
      Most people in NYC have. That's all that matters.
      the state of hockey is good

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

        Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        How long before we get "Maryland/Rutgers adding D1 hockey?" threads?
        At the least, we should alter our rankings for the likelihood of other Big Ten/Televen/Tweln/FourTen schools adding a hockey program.

        Currently, Wisconsin tops my list.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

        BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


        At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

        Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

          Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I wouldn't say that's true.
          Well a difference of opinion then. I would definitely say more are familiar with Marlyand, BC, Missouri and frankly about any other school under consideration for the B1G than Rutgers. But that's my opinion.
          Go Gophers!

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

            Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Most people in NYC have. That's all that matters.
            To people in NYC it does. There are other people living in other parts of the country and frankly, in B1G country.

            I suppose I could be persuaded if I knew they were a household name in Pennsylvania and DC/Baltamore...but not so sure about that. As a sports fan, not in favor of this. We'll often be adding Rutgers in the place of Michigan, Ohio St, and other rivals and B1G powerhouse schools.
            Go Gophers!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              At the least, we should alter our rankings for the likelihood of other Big Ten/Televen/Tweln/FourTen schools adding a hockey program.

              Currently, Wisconsin tops my list.

              That would be so cool. Already have the facility.

              Think they'll do it?

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                Article in the Bergen Record (Friend of the People it Serves): http://www.northjersey.com/news/educ...e_Big_Ten.html
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

                Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                  Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  I suppose I could be persuaded if I knew they were a household name in Pennsylvania and DC/Baltamore...but not so sure about that. As a sports fan, not in favor of this. We'll often be adding Rutgers in the place of Michigan, Ohio St, and other rivals and B1G powerhouse schools.
                  It certainly is; as a NJ native, they have a much better academic reputation in the region than any of the existing Big Ten schools. I think this move sucks for Rutgers precisely for that reason - they're NOT Big Midwestern State Sports Factory, and I don't know why they aspire to be.
                  Cornell University Men's Hockey
                  NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                    Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    It certainly is; as a NJ native, they have a much better academic reputation in the region than any of the existing Big Ten schools. I think this move sucks for Rutgers precisely for that reason - they're NOT Big Midwestern State Sports Factory, and I don't know why they aspire to be.
                    Maybe the players from Don Bosco will stay in state (this from an SJR grad).
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

                    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                      Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      To people in NYC it does. There are other people living in other parts of the country and frankly, in B1G country.

                      I suppose I could be persuaded if I knew they were a household name in Pennsylvania and DC/Baltamore...but not so sure about that. As a sports fan, not in favor of this. We'll often be adding Rutgers in the place of Michigan, Ohio St, and other rivals and B1G powerhouse schools.
                      Rutgers does have over 55,000 students, it's not as if they are some obscure east coast liberal arts college.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                        I think this is a good move overall. I would assume they're going for 16 so two more to go.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

                        Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                          Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          I suppose I could be persuaded if I knew they were a household name in Pennsylvania and DC/Baltamore...but not so sure about that.
                          People in Baltimore have heard of Rutgers. Our (Baltimore Ravens fans) favorite running back, Ray Rice, played football there.

                          As a part time Terps fan, I don't like this. I will no longer be able to cheer for Merry-land. Except when they play tOSU. I will always cheer against tOSU.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.



                          Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                            Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            People in Baltimore have heard of Rutgers. Our (Baltimore Ravens fans) favorite running back, Ray Rice, played football there.

                            As a part time Terps fan, I don't like this. I will no longer be able to cheer for Merry-land. Except when they play tOSU. I will always cheer against tOSU.
                            According to AAU, its OSU and tPSU.

                            The McCourty brothers also went to Rutgers, The State University.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                            ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

                            Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                            I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                              Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              I will always cheer against tOSU.
                              Most people in Michigan do: anytime, anywhere, any sport!
                              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

                              Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Big Ten Expansion: Maryland and Rutgers

                                And here I thought the media's speculation that four 16 team super conferences was not going to occur. Maybe it will
                                tUMD Hockey

                                "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X