Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elections 2012.2 - Congressional and Gubernatorial

Originally posted by Alton View Post
    Well, yeah, you are right. I guess I was using my own rules for that--I don't think of Sanders as an "I" because the Democrats don't ever run a candidate against him. The Democrats actually ran a candidate in Maine (she got 13 percent of the vote), so that was technically a 3-person race.
    The National Democratic Committee did not endorse the (D) running for senate in Maine, and did not spend any money supporting her. They did spend money attacking the Republican candidate after the Rs started propping up the D candidate to take votes from King and ran attack adds against King.

Comment

I would have liked a better showing in the House out of the Dems, but you have only so many resources to spread around and clealry the emphasis was rightly on the White House and Senate. Both of which went pretty well. Looks like they picked off some low hanging fruit (Allen West, etc) but need to turn that vaunted ground game on next election to get the 17 or so seats they'll need to send The Boner packing.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        I would have liked a better showing in the House out of the Dems, but you have only so many resources to spread around and clealry the emphasis was rightly on the White House and Senate. Both of which went pretty well. Looks like they picked off some low hanging fruit (Allen West, etc) but need to turn that vaunted ground game on next election to get the 17 or so seats they'll need to send The Boner packing.
        I guess you haven't looked at state maps very carefully. Even in the states carried by [redacted] Obama, you see small dots of blue inside a sea of red. The concentrated populations in urban centers are enough for him to carry the state, while at the same time the more widespread suburban and exurban districts continue to return strong Republican majorities to the House.

I can just envision you in 15 years when you own some real property and have children; I have no doubt whatsoever you will be singing a very different tune than you do now when you have nothing tangible at risk of confiscation and you care about no one but yourself. Wait until someone comes along demanding you give them money you can't afford and depriving your kids of a better future. Believe me, I will take no satisfaction in that whatsoever.
        Last edited by FreshFish; 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
          Pay attention [!] the parties are essentially equally corrupt and deserving of criticism. All of which I've made perfectly clear over the last months.
          Yes. Very well put. It's corporate welfare for one set of cronies or corporate welfare for a different set of cronies, either way it's corporate welfare for someone.

It's government handouts for one group of sycophants or tax breaks for a different group of sychophants; either way sycophants are being rewarded at the expense of the common good.

Those of us who merely want to live our lives in peace, work hard, save for the future, raise our children to become responsible, competent, self-supporting adults, have no one to represent us from either major party.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            I guess you haven't looked at state maps very carefully. Even in the states carried by [redacted] Obama, you see small dots of blue inside a sea of red. The concentrated populations in urban centers are enough for him to carry the state, while at the same time the more widespread suburban and exurban districts continue to return strong Republican majorities to the House.

I can just envision you in 15 years when you own some real property and have children; I have no doubt whatsoever you will be singing a very different tune than you do now when you have nothing tangible at risk of confiscation and you care about no one but yourself. Wait until someone comes along demanding you give them money you can't afford and depriving your kids of a better future. Believe me, I will take no satisfaction in that whatsoever.
            I think you're miscalculating my age, income, and family situation there Fishy. There is something fundamental which it appears that you just don't get. Few, if any, people actually believe that continued upper income tax cuts does anything for the economy. That is a 30 year old, failed economic theory that I would kindly suggest you let go of. The people you speak of, under 50 with families, are Obama supporters. Its the older , whiny, late 50's to early 70's generation who can't seem to come to grips with the fact that they can no longer steal everything that's not nailed down as they aren't the driving force electorally that they once were.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

I think you're miscalculating my age, income, and family situation there Fishy. There is something fundamental which it appears that you just don't get. Few, if any, people actually believe that continued upper income tax cuts does anything for the economy. That is a 30 year old, failed economic theory that I would kindly suggest you let go of. The people you speak of, under 50 with families, are Obama supporters. Its the older , whiny, late 50's to early 70's generation who can't seem to come to grips with the fact that they can no longer steal everything that's not nailed down as they aren't the driving force electorally that they once were.
              taxing upper income certainly doesn't do anything positive for the economy, but hey, maybe if we tax the top more, all our troubles will go away.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

I'll go a step further than Rover and just ask....What the hell are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  taxing upper income certainly doesn't do anything positive for the economy, but hey, maybe if we tax the top more, all our troubles will go away.
                  Taxes aren't there to do something positive for the economy Brainless Guy. That's not the point. The point is any gubmint needs tax revenue to function. Sitting around and whining about that fact is stupid. That's how it works. If you can invent a system where national defense, healthcare and schooling don't cost anything, throw out a proposal for us. Otherwise, get with the times and start being realistic.

Comment

Nice to see Jeff Flake win the Senate seat in Arizona pretty comfortably. At least I can be proud that my Senator is a good fiscal conservative. Admittedly in a sea of fiscal irresponsibility that he probably can't stem.
                    Originally posted by Priceless
                    Good to see you're so reasonable.
                    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                    Very well, said.
                    Originally posted by Rover
                    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

We didn't stop raising taxes till Bush II. Reagan raised them. Bush I raised them. Clinton raised them. The economy went into the toilet when we threw out a balanced approach to budgeting. Balance is the key. And I totally agree we need a cap on Fed Spending based on GDP. But, that would be a percentage right? Why is it ok to use a percentage there but not a percentage to compare my tax rate with Mitt Romney??????????

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                      Nice to see Jeff Flake win the Senate seat in Arizona pretty comfortably. At least I can be proud that my Senator is a good fiscal conservative. Admittedly in a sea of fiscal irresponsibility that he probably can't stem.
                      Fiscal Conservatives don't sign Grover's pledge.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        It's clear that many see the top as a limitless source of revenue. Probably the biggest single financial fallacy in the entire campaign.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          We didn't stop raising taxes till Bush II. Reagan raised them. Bush I raised them. Clinton raised them. The economy went into the toilet when we threw out a balanced approach to budgeting. Balance is the key. And I totally agree we need a cap on Fed Spending based on GDP. But, that would be a percentage right? Why is it ok to use a percentage there but not a percentage to compare my tax rate with Mitt Romney??????????

Fiscal Conservatives don't sign Grover's pledge.
                          Some of us judge people on their record, others apparently not.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            It's clear that many see the top as a limitless source of revenue. Probably the biggest single financial fallacy in the entire campaign.
                            I hope you didn't pay a lot for this strawman, Bob!

Not sure why going back to Clinton era top level tax rates will cause such a problem (which, for the record, is what's actually being proposed).

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                              That's why the rich here have some of the lowest taxes on the entire planet.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I hope you didn't pay a lot for this strawman, Bob!

Not sure why going back to Clinton era top level tax rates will cause such a problem (which, for the record, is what's actually being proposed).
                                You miss my point. Certain folks have made hugely outsized claims as to how much revenue can come from that slice of the population. Nowhere even close.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X