Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phone Calls - Harassing Charities

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I had a landline until about 2006 (also had a cell, but the landline is the number I used for any "business" or "non-personal/friend" calls).

I pulled all the stunts I mentioned, and then some, and I'm thinking there is some sort of central list (cue the tinfoil hats) that most callers use. I hadn't had a charity/other call since probably about 2003-04. And I never registered on those do not call lists.
    My Grandfather used to do those too when a credit card company would call.

CCco.: "Sir, we'd like to offer you one of our credit cards (or some other spiel).
    Grandfather: "I already have 52 of 'em, why do I need yours?"
    CCco: "What cards do you already have sir?"
    GFather: "Well, the Ace of Diamonds, the two of diamonds, the three of diamonds..."
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I would think that this is an all too common problem for families living with Alzheimer's. Wouldn't one of the large national support organizations have some workable solutions for dealing with these pieces of excrement?
      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Just be happy she doesn't know how to use e-mail. My grandparents are at least smart enough to call my dad before they do anything stupid, but would probably be bankrupt and have their identities stolen by a few dozen people if they would do all the stuff they don't realize are scams
        @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
        I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

Under the theory that if you're annoying enough they will remove your number, try blowing a ref's whistle in their ear. It seemed to solve crank calls when I was a kid.
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
            Under the theory that if you're annoying enough they will remove your number, try blowing a ref's whistle in their ear. It seemed to solve crank calls when I was a kid.
            Who did you stop calling?

I ended up doing some more research, finally found a customer service number. The lady on the phone said that she'd remove my number from their call list. They were telling me that I had made a pledge to a couple charities, and that's why I was being called. I told them that's a load of BS, and then the lady said she'd remove me from some donor obligation list, too. It's quite remarkable how my mom's name didn't come up that entire time.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I once had a conversation with one where I passed the phone to my sister, who passed it to her boyfriend, who passed it back to me, at which point I played this into the phone for 10 minutes.

Another one asked for my dad. I set down the phone, put together my clarinet, answered in a gruffer voice, let them get 30 seconds into their spiel, then hit 'em with the PK ditty into the receiver.
              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                ****** src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:155416" width="480" height="400" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" flashVars="autoPlay=false&dist=http://www.southparkstudios.com&orig=" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000">

Originally posted by Jon

Comment

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Does not apply to charities or politicians. As stated in the original post, and a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                      Does not apply to charities or politicians. As stated in the original post, and a few others.
                      Wait, what?

Originally posted by Jon

Comment

This will fix 'em
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          It applies if a charity is using a 3rd party to make the calls for them, as stated in the original web page, and a few others.

Comment

Working...
                          X