X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 5: The Hank Greenberg edition

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Rafi Soriano has opted out of his contract with the Yankees. A very good option at closer there. Pricey, but well worth it on its face, IMO.
    The one hurdle would appear to be that Soriano wants a long-term deal(at least by relief pitcher standards), and it appears the Tigers want more of a stop-gap solution until one of their prospects is ready. Also, Soriano's option was for $14 million, so there's your starting point. Even with Valverde's $9M coming off the books, that's quite a step up in salary.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

I'm not sure anyone's going to give him $14. I forget what Rivera made last year. I could see $11-12 for 3-4 years, though. And if Rondon or someone else gets ready, Soriano can be traded. Let's face it. A top-flight closer is not going to be cheap.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I'm not sure anyone's going to give him $14. I forget what Rivera made last year. I could see $11-12 for 3-4 years, though. And if Rondon or someone else gets ready, Soriano can be traded. Let's face it. A top-flight closer is not going to be cheap.
        Yes it will be. no question, and add the other costs up too. I doubt he can be traded with that salary unless you are willing to pick up 30-50% of it.

Alcedes Escobar would be a good player to get as well, but KC might not let him go, and having signed Peralta I doubt they do much at ss.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So, the Tigers have decided to cut ties with: Valverde, Laird, Raburn, Kelly (unless he signs a minor league deal) and Young. (Inge is with Oakland.)

Laird is a bit of a surprise considering we do not have another catcher in the works. Anyone scan to see who else is out there?

Boesch is being offered a contract, as was Dotel and Peralta.

There are 7 eligible for arbitration: Porcello, Fister, Coke, Scherzer, Jackson, Avila and Boesch. All will be offered.

Sanchez is a FA and is a target. According to Henning, an outfielder w/ a bat, like Pagan, Hunter may be targets also, instead of a big name closer, since they want Rondon to do that in two seasons.

It will be interesting if they keep Berry also, once this is settled. Dirks, Boesch, Jackson and Garcia, if he is kept with the big club are already in the outfield, plus a FA. Castellanos doesn't sound like he'll be ready yet.

Comment

They seem to think Holaday can be the backup catcher. I'm not convinced of that.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

OPPS!!!

*****http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548485_10100902569216075_1055979887_n.jpg******

With special thanks to MNS for sharing that on Facebook.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Well it appears a closer is not in the cards, but we'll see. I wonder about Victorino. His production is way off, and I wonder if he will be a good fit in the clubhouse.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/a...s_det&c_id=det

Comment

How about Torii Hunter?

God, that was fun...

Comment

How about Torii Hunter?
                    The radio guys like Tori Hunter a lot, and he can hit in the American league, but it would be fairly expensive and he's pretty old. Pagan is a free agent now, could be got cheaper, and he's quite a bit younger.
                    we'll see. A lot of talk now about if they are keeping Berry. If they have speed in the outfield already they might keep him as a late game sub but I'd be surprised. They need someone that can play multiple positions. You wonder if Smiley is going to be in the pen. They do need a left hander out there, but they need a left handed starter too.
                    Doesn't look, from early results in arizona, that Castellanos will be ready for the big leagues next year.

Comment

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 5: The Hank Greenberg edition

Sure, he's 37, but he could probably be had for about $7/year. As for Berry, he's a #4 outfielder/late inning PR at best. Again, there's a reason he didn't get to the majors until 28. Hunter would be excellent either for insurance if Garcia is not ready come next April, or to play a corner spot and platoon Dirks and Garcia.

As for Smyly, they might have to put him in the rotation to open the season by default.

God, that was fun...

Comment

News reported today that the Tigers are leading in the race to sign Hunter.

Comment

Someone help me feel better about this Torii Hunter signing. Dude's a career average hitter, and almost as old as I am. And I've been known at "geezer" for 6 years already.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Tigers sign Torii Hunter. 2 years, $26 mil.

God, that was fun...

Comment

What would we have to give up to rescue Giancarlo Stanton from the Jeffrey Loria Everything Must Go Liquidation Spectacular?
                              Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                                What would we have to give up to rescue Giancarlo Stanton from the Jeffrey Loria Everything Must Go Liquidation Spectacular?
                                Now THAT would be a worthwhile pursuit.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X