This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 5: The Hank Greenberg edition

Depends on what the new owner wants to buy, and what the Ilitches want to sell. I would imagine that the new owners would want some of the parking revenue as well. As for the other stuff, not likely.

If the Tigers would hit the market, the Ilitch family would likely realize about a half-billion dollar gain on the transaction. They paid about $140 mil for the team in '92, and should easily clear $650, given what the Astros just went for, and the Dodgers' obscene price this last off-season. That's....gonna be pretty hard to turn down.

EDIT: According to Crain's, Ilitch paid $82 mil for the team in 1992.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      Level of expectations, my friend.
      If winning the World Series is the only acceptable outcome, then I'm very happy that I barely pay attention to the Tigers, relatively speaking. The odds of actually winning are very thin, even with one of the highest payrolls in baseball.

But, hey- it's just a game to me, I guess.

Comment

With the circumstances around this team, there has to be a sense of urgency here. We only get chances like this once in a generation or so. It's been a while since '84.

Per the Detroit News, Leyland will return next year. Announcement soon.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Options picked up on Peralta and Dotel. I had heard they were leaning that way on Peralta for one more year.

I have a tough time imagining a new owner coming in and dumping half the team's salary in his opening press conference. Sports teams are terrible investments if you're just looking to eke out a profit. Nobody is going to sell off the parts of a winning team to make a little bit of money, unless maybe Mitt Romney buys them. Now long-term, there's no guarantee he'll spend at Ilitch levels, and almost definitely not at Ilitch Death Watch levels, but I think it will be more gradual as this current core ages out, and gets replaced with cheaper, lesser options.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

I suspect that a fire sale would happen before the team gets sold, making it more lucrative for a potential owner.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I hadn't even considered him vs. Joe West. That would be epic. There would never be a dull moment again.

I'll say this. We'd never have to worry about the Tigers being cheap. They might spend $200 mil exactly the wrong way, but they'll spend it nevertheless.
              He'd probably hire Ozzie and his circus, too.

Oh, and without much adieu, I'll post this to spare a long drawn out post about FA possibilities:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0104/210300325

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                Options picked up on Peralta and Dotel. I had heard they were leaning that way on Peralta for one more year.

I have a tough time imagining a new owner coming in and dumping half the team's salary in his opening press conference. Sports teams are terrible investments if you're just looking to eke out a profit. Nobody is going to sell off the parts of a winning team to make a little bit of money, unless maybe Mitt Romney buys them. Now long-term, there's no guarantee he'll spend at Ilitch levels, and almost definitely not at Ilitch Death Watch levels, but I think it will be more gradual as this current core ages out, and gets replaced with cheaper, lesser options.
                Being that Romney is a politician and say, Wayne Huizenga is a sports team owner cut out of a similar cloth, I'll give your liberal leanings a pass.

Comment

No politics here please, gentlemen.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I suspect that a fire sale would happen before the team gets sold, making it more lucrative for a potential owner.
                    What Davidson's wife did to the Pistons was bad enough. "Uh, you're not allowed to make changes. Just watch the half of the core you didn't trade get older and suck more."
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

A terrible team makes them more lucrative? Even with all they spent this year, they made it back and then some. They drew over 3 million in attendance. At an average of $40 a ticket, which seems pretty conservative, they covered payroll with just ticket sales. Factor in all the other revenue they get, minus operating costs, and you're left with a much bigger chunk of change than you're ever going to get from a revenue-sharing check.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

So, now that we have hypothetically killed off Ilitch and have the Tigers sold off in pieces like Richard Gere would have done in Pretty Woman, can we get back to what chances the team has next season if they do not add any impact free agents?

We know that, by signing Peralta and Dotel, the check book may be a little skimpy. No Andrus IMO, or signing Sanchez since he decided to actually become the pitcher DD traded for at the end of the season. There are some aged outfielders as mentioned in the News articles, and by the sound of it, Young won't be back. Boesch is still on the roster, so of course the projection is, trade a package of players for that impact stud. No guarantee that VMart will be the hitting machine he was, either.

So, out side of what appears to be a sound rotation, there are many questions to this roster.

Oh, and pay no attention to that little temper tantrum Henning had in the paper today, scolding fans about Leyland. He's turning into Joe Falls, minus the rambling stories about his cats and thanksgiving dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          So, now that we have hypothetically killed off Ilitch and have the Tigers sold off in pieces like Richard Gere would have done in Pretty Woman, can we get back to what chances the team has next season if they do not add any impact free agents?

We know that, by signing Peralta and Dotel, the check book may be a little skimpy. No Andrus IMO, or signing Sanchez since he decided to actually become the pitcher DD traded for at the end of the season. There are some aged outfielders as mentioned in the News articles, and by the sound of it, Young won't be back. Boesch is still on the roster, so of course the projection is, trade a package of players for that impact stud. No guarantee that VMart will be the hitting machine he was, either.

So, out side of what appears to be a sound rotation, there are many questions to this roster.

Oh, and pay no attention to that little temper tantrum Henning had in the paper today, scolding fans about Leyland. He's turning into Joe Falls, minus the rambling stories about his cats and thanksgiving dinner.
                          Good article.
                          the one thing that really grinds me is trading a great prospect for a rent a player this year. Now we have gotten Infante for Turner and sanchez is likely gone. If I was DD i'd run the price up on the red sox real high. That means to me Porcello is back or they think smiley is good enough as well. Risky if you ask me.
                          I wonder if we have anyone else with a great arm in mind to bring up.

I'm suspicious of Pagan. He's an NL hitter so his numbers are inflated, but yes he can run and field; but Swisher, no thanks. He hit ok, but he won't in Comerica.

Agree a closer is real important. I like Soriano, I hope we get him. We need another BP arm besides him.

if you could get a top line guy who's not too old for left field that would be good, we'll see.. And please, no Cody Ross.I think DD might go for someone who is in the last year of his contract. rightly or wrongly.

Overall it's do able depending on the money Dd gets to spend. I'm optimistic, but it was tough watching us lose 4 st.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Better pipe dream: Mark Cuban.

Now wipe the monitor off and carry on.
                            Giggity!!!

He wouldn't be a bad option to be a new owner, but who else out there would be on the market who would have the pockets deep enough buy a MLB team, and would want to blow that kind of dough on a sports team in Detroit??
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Soria just had Tommy John this past spring. The A's just picked up their option on Grant Balfour, so there goes that. We've got to see who actually gets to FA first. Same thing with corner outfielders.

Any SS upgrade is going to have to come in the form of a trade. Stephen Drew and his .210 average might be the best one on the FA market.

As for Sanchez, I'm all for it, but keep in mind that it's going to cost upwards of $10 mil/year for 5+ years, for what we would have as a #4 starter.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Rafi Soriano has opted out of his contract with the Yankees. A very good option at closer there. Pricey, but well worth it on its face, IMO.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X