This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 5: The Hank Greenberg edition

Rule 5 pick Jeff Kobernus has been returned to the Nationals.

I don't know what we're going to do with that last outfield spot, with Castellanos already with Toledo, and Garcia out for a little bit with an ankle issue. We've got Hunter, Jackson, Dirks, and probably Don Kelly. Tuiasosopo has never shown that he can hit. The guy's a career .540 OPS at the major league level.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Virgil Trucks has died.

EDIT: and yes, he was already on my list.
      Last edited by Hammer; 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Porcello has won the #5 spot in the rotation. Smyly to the pen. That also might take Darrin Downs off the major league roster, as that would make 3 lefties in the bullpen.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Forbes values the Tigers at $643 million. Any still not convinced this franchise is on the market shortly after Mr. Illitch leaves us? Do we understand the urgency to win now?

God, that was fun...

Comment

Well I just got back from lakeland.
            First, if Bruce Rondon is on your fantasy team, like he was on mine, drop him quick.

Yesterday he was great, today, awful. He can't hold runners on and today philadelphia's minor leaguers ran wild on him.He had no clue on first base. Second, well he has no command, so he walks a lot of guys. He's wild high a lot of the time. Then of course his velocity was off today by 5 or 6 mph.

As far as everyone else. Kelly has improved a lot. He carried the team two of the last three days with lot's of big hits, and good fielding plays. He's on the big club and berry went down today.

Verlander was fair today, but had quite a number of runners on base,( guys who had no business being there) and had to be taken out on pitch count because he couldn't get thru 6 under 100 pitches. it was not a great outing. Hamels on the other hand, had a great outing. Avila got hurt again day before yesterday, but played today. I wonder who is going to be the real back up catcher. I can't see victor doing it.

I liked Downs. he gets people out. I hope they keep him up. I know it's a long shot, but he gets people out vs letting them get hits. this is a good thing. Coke pitched yesterday and was lights out, the only tiger pitcher we saw who was. Porcello was ok, but he left several balls up against the Marlins and even they could hit them. I think smiley will be in the rotation in a month or so.

Overall had fun, but there is no way I'm paying to watch BP. no. way. and the tickets for spring training games are in no way cheap any longer. Also, The Marlins prices for everything from parking to water were much higher than the tigers. They share a stadium with the Cards, and it's no where as good as Joker Marchant.

I was very unimpressed with the tigers hitting today. Let's hope the regular season is better.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Rondon to the minors.

God, that was fun...

Comment

One cut left: Worth or Santiago. My guess is that Worth goes to Toledo, given that he has an option left.

3 lefties in the pen, BTW. Downs made it, too.

God, that was fun...

Comment

It's Santiago. It was a simple option-and-contract move. Worth had an option. Santiago had a contract.

Here's the roster:

Catchers:
                  Alex Avila
                  Brayan Pena

Infield:
                  Prince Fielder
                  Omar Infante
                  Jhonny Peralta
                  Miguel Cabrera
                  Ramon Santiago
                  Victor Martinez

Outfield:
                  Torii Hunter
                  Austin Jackson
                  Andy Dirks
                  Matt Tuiasosopo
                  Don Kelly

Starting pitchers:
                  Justin Verlander
                  Max Scherzer
                  Doug Fister
                  Annibal Sanchez
                  Rick Porcello

Bullpen:
                  Brayan Villareal
                  Al Albuquerque
                  Octavio Dotel
                  Phil Coke
                  Darrin Downs
                  Drew Smyly
                  Joaquin Benoit

God, that was fun...

Comment

Posting on phone, so can't link, but Verlander just signed a five-year extension. Basically it's a 5yr/$140 million extension.

Comment

I'm real surprised Tuiasosopo made the club. he's big and he hits the ball hard... sometimes. I'd have kept berry.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        I'm real surprised Tuiasosopo made the club. he's big and he hits the ball hard... sometimes. I'd have kept berry.
                        Neither one of them has shown that they can hit at any level. Berry was injured too often to make the team this spring. Either way, I'm not going to have a fit about the 5th outfielder on this team. OTOH, I am concerned about the outfield depth outside of our starting three. Our backup outfielders are Don Kelly and Matt Tuiasosopo.

God, that was fun...

Comment

To expand a bit, Tuiasosopo is a career .171 hitter at the major league level, OPS of .540.

Berry hit .219 after August 1, with an anemic OBP of .261, OPS of .558.

We're choosing between rotten chicken and spoiled hamburger here. *shrug*

For the record, Don Kelly was worse than both of them last season.

If one of our starting three gets hurt, it's probably the Nick Castellanos show, sooner than we wanted.

God, that was fun...

Comment

In the games I saw, kelly was head and shoulders better than most of the other outfielders. With the exception of jackson and hunter, kaline says he is the best on the club and he has cut down his swing so he hits better.

At least Berry can run. It gives us a chance to pinch run at times and we need that speed badly.T + 7 is one dimensional and more of what we already have.
                            I forgot his name, but we have a kid that is an up and coming SS. problem is he can't hit. Fun to watch him though, and I'm still wondering who is back up catcher.

Comment

***** http://www.philadelphiarams.com/archives/goal_light.gif******

MIGGY!!!

Don't mind me. I'm just getting the toys out for tomorrow. Now I gotta go find Giant Tiger, and I think we're ready to go.

God, that was fun...

Comment

There. I think we're all ready to go now.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X