Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Unassisted Human Breaking Sound Barrier (Live)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Unassisted Human Breaking Sound Barrier (Live)

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Missed the longest freefall by 17 seconds.
    I could not understand why he popped the chute that early. It's not like he was close to the ground at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      I could not understand why he popped the chute that early. It's not like he was close to the ground at that point.
      There was an automatic chute opening in some cases; I'm not sure if that was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Well, that should easily be more than the speed of sound at the conditions that he passed through. At -18c Mach 1 is 320m/s
        http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/ is reporting the peak speed at Mach 1.24, well over the speed of sound. Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          There was an automatic chute opening in some cases; I'm not sure if that was one of them.
          His visor had fogged up because of a broken heater in his helmet. I'm sure that was a significant concern. It was not an automatic chute opening. A reserve (automatic) chute would have been much smaller.
          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

leave one record for Kittinger out of respect?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              leave one record for Kittinger out of respect?
              Speaking of Kittinger. I thought it was great that Kittinger was involved in this whole deal. Even better was what Felix said when someone asked him where he would be in 40 years: "Hopefully in the same position as Joe (Kittinger) helping someone break my record." Just tons of class from both of these guys.

Comment

http://www.brobible.com/life/article...eadcam-footage

There was a time I really thought I was in trouble. I had to decide to fight all the way down and I finally got stable. That spin became so violent it was hard to know how to get out of it. I was able to get it under control and break the speed of sound. I could feel myself break the speed of sound. I could feel the air building up and then I hit it.
                Thats pretty cool right there.

Comment

Working...
                X