X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Insert Random Retread Of A Plot

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I tweetered and FB'd: Nic Cage turned DOWN a role?!?!?!?!?!?!
    On a whim, I saw Kick ***, and it was the first time since Leaving Las Vegas that I didn't laugh at one of his performances. A year later, having been forced to watch The Sorcerer's Apprentice on PPV during a family holiday, I thought Cage actually did fine for a predictable Disney fantasy film. He could've easily dialed the camp knob up to 13, but did not.

Now I see he's doing a movie with Hayden "Then...You're My...En-e-my" Christensen due out next year. Back to the usual crapfests, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      You've gotta be kidding me:

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...173540688.html

This is totally a Cage movie, he should've taken it.
      It has both elements of a classic Nick Cage movie: all the dialogue is either whispered or yelled, and everything is on fire.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

On a whim, I saw Kick ***, and it was the first time since Leaving Las Vegas that I didn't laugh at one of his performances. A year later, having been forced to watch The Sorcerer's Apprentice on PPV during a family holiday, I thought Cage actually did fine for a predictable Disney fantasy film. He could've easily dialed the camp knob up to 13, but did not.

Now I see he's doing a movie with Hayden "Then...You're My...En-e-my" Christensen due out next year. Back to the usual crapfests, I guess.

He was awesome in Kick-Ass and that was his role.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Nicolas Cage is bad, and that's what has made him great.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Nicolas Cage is bad, and that's what has made him great.
            Exactly. He's not supposed to be a GOOD actor, and that does not keep me from enjoying movies he's in. Though, some of the recent ones are beyond what I'm willing to watch, like the one where he rides a motorcycle and is on fire.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Exactly. He's not supposed to be a GOOD actor, and that does not keep me from enjoying movies he's in. Though, some of the recent ones are beyond what I'm willing to watch, like the one where he rides a motorcycle and is on fire.

That would be Ghost Rider. The first one was okay, second one sucked arse.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

You've gotta be kidding me:

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...173540688.html

This is totally a Cage movie, he should've taken it.
                dafuq??

That would be Ghost Rider. The first one was okay, second one sucked arse.
                Yeah, the first one at least had a decent plot to it, that made some sense. It also had the yummy Eva Mendes for eye candy. The second one, all filmed pretty action scenes, but ummm... what the hell was going on with the plot? Not even a drunken gun toting monk could save that one.
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

The Car

Obviously one of the inspirations for Death Proof (which I love). Oh. My. God. This. Movie. Is. :censored: . Awesome.

A mysterious car kills people. It's up to the sheriff of the town to stop it. Made in the 70s. Low budget. Annnnnnnnd go.

It's actually not a HORRIBLE movie, as for general movie standards. I mean, it's no Ghost Shark or Thankskilling, that sort of thing. It tried to work somewhat within its limits, but obviously knew it wasn't going to be a blockbuster. :wink: But some parts...wow. Amazingly horribly awesome. This might end up on my "buy" list.

Comment

Barbarella: I have no idea what the hell I just saw. Every 5-10 minutes the convo would be (insert problem) and then followed by (oh, but we have this). No explanation afterwards. It's a truly terrible movie, but one that I feel everyone must watch so they appreciate a truly GOOD bad movie (since Barbarella is considered a "cult classic" and I'm guessing it's only for seeing Jane Fonda butt-naked, an argument I cannot defend against :lol: )

Megapirahna: If you have ADD and love MTV style editing/scene switches, this is for you. Stopped after 20 minutes. Gave me a :censored: headache. I swear every 30 seconds (at most) was a swipe/cut/etc switch to the next "scene."

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Barbarella: I have no idea what the hell I just saw. Every 5-10 minutes the convo would be (insert problem) and then followed by (oh, but we have this). No explanation afterwards. It's a truly terrible movie, but one that I feel everyone must watch so they appreciate a truly GOOD bad movie (since Barbarella is considered a "cult classic" and I'm guessing it's only for seeing Jane Fonda butt-naked, an argument I cannot defend against :lol: )

Megapirahna: If you have ADD and love MTV style editing/scene switches, this is for you. Stopped after 20 minutes. Gave me a :censored: headache. I swear every 30 seconds (at most) was a swipe/cut/etc switch to the next "scene."
                      I saw that one where it should be seen, at a drive in with two other terrible "scf-fi" movies. One was "Green Slime" forget the other.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        I saw that one where it should be seen, at a drive in with two other terrible "scf-fi" movies. One was "Green Slime" forget the other.
                        Sounds about right. Honestly, I only watched Barbarella because of the reputation. I have mixed feelings about the experience.

Comment

Dumb & Dumber To

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...cture/2861261/

"Daniels posted a goofy selfie with Jim Carrey of the two of them in costume as Lloyd and Harry from the set of their highly-anticipated-by-some sequel."

The first was probably the funniest movie experience I've ever had in a theater. I nearly wet myself at least once and had a few instances where I couldn't catch my breath. Didn't hurt that we smoked an ounce before we went, but still...

Daniels was so good in this movie.

The bathroom scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwcVJMvVWDA

The first time seeing that and not knowing it was coming... oh man.

Can't wait!

Sorta.
                          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-24-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

The Car

Obviously one of the inspirations for Death Proof (which I love). Oh. My. God. This. Movie. Is. :censored: . Awesome.

A mysterious car kills people. It's up to the sheriff of the town to stop it. Made in the 70s. Low budget. Annnnnnnnd go.

It's actually not a HORRIBLE movie, as for general movie standards. I mean, it's no Ghost Shark or Thankskilling, that sort of thing. It tried to work somewhat within its limits, but obviously knew it wasn't going to be a blockbuster. :wink: But some parts...wow. Amazingly horribly awesome. This might end up on my "buy" list.
                            IMHO it pales in comparison to "The Duel", Spielberg's second full-length made-for-TV movie.
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                              IMHO it pales in comparison to "The Duel", Spielberg's second full-length made-for-TV movie.
                              That is one that is now on my list, thanks to the suggestions made by Netflix.

Comment

Sweet Land (2005). Poignant period piece set in post WWI rural Minnesota in which a German woman is sent for an arranged marriage with a Norwegian farmer. Beautiful cinematography, a great story and wonderful performances including Ned Beaty, John Heard, Elizabeth Reaser (just freaking gorgeous), Alan Cumming and Tim Guinee. I had never heard of it until seeing it recommended on Netflix and glad I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X