Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part III: October Surprise!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part III: October Surprise!

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Funny thing, in popular consciousness, they are primarily associated with the south (and rightly so, I suppose), yet at one time the state with the highest concentration of KKK members was Indiana!

Have you been to Indiana? It IS the South.

"The South" starts about 60 miles south, southeast and east of Chicago.

Comment

The MSM may be catching on to His Islamistness' lies, and we're not even talking about the whoppers he's told about Libya:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/20...e-gets-busted/

On the question of voter fraud and whether we should impose voter ID laws to combat it. We should remind ourselves of poll results on the question:

WaPo: 74% support voter ID (including 65% of blacks).

NYT 70% support for voter ID
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Well isn't THIS interesting. Turns out the only voter fraud to be found is being done by Republican hired firms!

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,7654954.story
        So since it's only being done by Republicans, I take it you're now on board with the ID laws?
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          On the question of voter fraud and whether we should impose voter ID laws to combat it. We should remind ourselves of poll results on the question:

WaPo: 74% support voter ID (including 65% of blacks).

NYT 70% support for voter ID
          I heard a great idea on the Voter ID issue this morning: we combine voter ID with organized transportation to the polling places for elderly, infirm, poor without cars, etc.

The pseudo-issue is that Voter ID laws are supposed to be somehow denying people the right to vote, and this proposal removes that distraction from consideration.

The Republicans shouldn't be complaining either, as the elderly have been trending their way in the past several years. In 2010 AARP received mail from its members about 78% against PPACA, only 22% in favor (no I don't have the link at my fingertips, it was in the Wall St Journal in the week preceding this one, I think). Besides, I love the idea, it would force both parties to speak to a broader constituency, neither party could take so many voters for granted if a lot more were being driven to vote.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I heard a great idea on the Voter ID issue this morning: we combine voter ID with organized transportation to the polling places for elderly, infirm, poor without cars, etc.

The pseudo-issue is that Voter ID laws are supposed to be somehow denying people the right to vote, and this proposal removes that distraction from consideration.

The Republicans shouldn't be complaining either, as the elderly have been trending their way in the past several years. In 2010 AARP received mail from its members about 78% against PPACA, only 22% in favor (no I don't have the link at my fingertips, it was in the Wall St Journal in the week preceding this one, I think). Besides, I love the idea, it would force both parties to speak to a broader constituency, neither party could take so many voters for granted if a lot more were being driven to vote.
            A couple of days after a lower court judge overturned the Pennsylvania law, the lead plaintiff (black, in her 90's, with questionable documentation) took a couple of busses to the DMV, and came out with an ID card. These doomsday figures of how many people will be "disinfranchised" are hysterical nonsense.

As to transporation to the polls: as long as voters are taken to the precincts in which they're registered, as opposed to being dumped by the busload at one central location, I've got no problem with it. There will come a time when most of us won't be voting at polls anymore. I don't.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
              These doomsday figures of how many people will be "disinfranchised" are hysterical nonsense.
              Perhaps they are disingenuous, perhaps they have bad memories of something somewhat similar and can't think straight as a result yet still are sincere in their concern, who's to say? That whole conversation is a sideshow and a distraction.

"We'll help you get the ID and we'll help you vote: restoring a sense of integrity in the process should be the ultimate goal of everyone concerned," I say! once you frame it in those terms, who could object to that end goal? the conversation then turns to "how" not "whether"

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Perhaps they are disingenuous, perhaps they have bad memories of something somewhat similar and can't think straight as a result yet still are sincere in their concern, who's to say? That whole conversation is a sideshow and a distraction. We'll help you get the ID and we'll help you vote: restoring a sense of integrity in the process should be the ultimate goal of everyone concerned, I'd say. once you frame it in those terms, who could object to the end goal?
                Answer? Liberal Democrats. The only demographic among about 3 dozen in the WaPo poll that was opposed to voter ID. In their heart of hearts, they KNOW how much good the present system does them. I'll say it again, if voter ID "suppresses" the votes of those who aren't entitled to vote, or aren't registered, or who are attempting to vote more than once or vote for somebody else--good.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

The Klan was not the personification of white trash in those days. Much more "mainstream." Lots of people looked upon membership as like being in the Elks. And it was very active in all sorts of northern states. Membership was pretty much a cross section of Protestant America. Very influential, backing successful candidates on all levels. Guy by the name of Stephenson (sp) became a huge national deal leading the Klan in Indiana. His considerable influence waned a bit when he was convicted of raping and murdering a young woman. Not exactly helpful to his message. There's archival footage of a million Klansmen marching in Washington.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 09-28-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I own guns, support gun rights, and Old Pio considers me a *******. What does that say about my views?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I own guns, support gun rights, and Old Pio considers me a *******. What does that say about my views?
                      ?? "There are more things on heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horation..." ??

[note: back then, the term 'philosophy' also included the concept of 'scientific theory']

Comment

?? "There are more things on heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horation..." ??

[note: back then, the term 'philosophy' also included the concept of 'scientific theory']
                        So?

Comment

Subscribed. Because your candidate sucks.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

True, true, and true. I'm from Indiana, and when my Minnesotan wife first visited, she really couldn't believe it. She said if she'd been parachuted in and forced to guess where she was, she would've guessed Kentucky at the absolute northern-most.
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

"The South" infects a lot of places that don't happen to be in Southern states. "Cincinnati is the capital of Kentucky."

Basically, it's everything in red, yellow or green below:

*****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qtb0HCUr2f8/UEpCjwCDdiI/AAAAAAAAA4o/Ck-g7zYuabY/s1600/fc31d62b56ec0d8b42e7bbb0f8fc621c.jpg******

I suspect you could just draw a map of poverty and low education and it would come out the same.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                                True, true, and true. I'm from Indiana, and when my Minnesotan wife first visited, she really couldn't believe it. She said if she'd been parachuted in and forced to guess where she was, she would've guessed Kentucky at the absolute northern-most.
                                Indiana is indeed firmly "Th-uh Sauth" (sic). My cousin and her husband live in the farm country around Ft. Wayne - serious Evangelical conservatives.

Ohio I think is a little different - there's the so-called "I-70 Corridor" and it's true that most people south of there are Kentucky or West Virginia at heart and in speech.

Don't know about Illinois, but given all the chatter back in 1861 about the southern half of Illinois joining up with the Confederacy, I assume (thereby making an *** out of 'u and 'me'), that it's similar.

Comment

Working...
                                X