Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part III: October Surprise!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part III: October Surprise!

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Is there any plausible explanation other than voter fraud?
    Someone hacking the voting machines.

(Granted, if they did, they'd certainly want to avoid a red flag like more total votes than registered voters, but on the other hand, as your post shows, it could be a stunningly audacious ploy that would count on the lock-step "voter fraud" chorus, especially since they would be predisposed to believe it to give some evidence underlying the ID laws.)

If not for the consequences of being caught, I think it would be illuminating to hack the vote somewhere in a completely absurd manner. e.g. give Romney a 1,000,000,000 to 0 win over Obama in a precinct.
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      You're not supposed to be able to vote in any precinct unless you are already on the registration rolls (or do same-day registration). In either case, your explanation does not work: the question remains, how can you have more votes cast than there are registered voters, absent vote fraud? *

* Question rephrased thanks to jerphisch's perceptive observation...though I suppose one could argue that voter ID law won't prevent this kind of fraud.

Funny, people have to show ID in order to register to vote, you know...why not just provide the voter ID card at registration? Anyone who's ever been to a local AAA office knows how quickly and easily one can obtain a picture ID.

it was not uncommon in Chicago in certain precincts in the 1960s for the ballot box to contain pre-marked ballots at the outset of the voting day. Allegations of something similar happened in Bridgeport CT in 2010; several of the polling places "ran out" of ballots during the day and they brought in some more in the evening..."don't worry about how to fill out the ballot; we've already taken care of that for you."
      You need to tell that to both the judge and the governor of PA because the difficulty in obtaining a picture ID is why 1) a judge delayed the law, and 2) PA gubmint has decided in the last week to up their efforts in getting people an ID, realizing that prior efforts weren't getting the job done.

While in theory ID's are available, making 90 year olds wait at the DMV for four hours because the state didn't staff them enough to handle the volume is a problem, especially with upcoming deadlines to register, etc.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

The lower court in PA decides to delay roll-out of the ID law until after the election.

Unfortunately, the judge also ruled that the ads telling people that ID will be required can continue to run. So the speculation is that will keep people without ID away, even though they can legally vote.

Hmmm. How soon till we can toss Corbett out on his ***?
        Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
          If not for the consequences of being caught, I think it would be illuminating to hack the vote somewhere in a completely absurd manner. e.g. give Romney a 1,000,000,000 to 0 win over Obama in a precinct.
          I'm surprised somebody like Anonymous hasn't done this already.

RCP NTU moves NC back to Romney.

On the Senate RCP has been relentlessly moving to the Dems. The NTU is still 52-48, where's it's been for three weeks, but the "all but TU" map now reads 47-43, with the 10 toss-ups almost evenly divided (6 D, 4 R). A big wave could move the Senate as far as 53-47 Republican or 57-43 Democratic. That's a huge number of contested races this close to Election Day.
          Last edited by Kepler; 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Oh, yeah? Well fook him and fook you!

http://houseofsunny.tv/2012/09/30/ob...of-our-future/
            Last edited by Old Pio; 10-02-2012, 04:55 PM.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Political Kombat.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post

That's great!

Comment

Funny, people have to show ID in order to register to vote, you know...why not just provide the voter ID card at registration? Anyone who's ever been to a local AAA office knows how quickly and easily one can obtain a picture ID.
                  AAA, student, credit cards, and other IDs are not acceptable under the new laws.

Also, you don't have to show ID to register in many states, merely proof of residence, such as a mortgage, a utility bill, etc. Most people will show an ID, but there are other forms that are acceptable.

Comment

MO moves from Leans Romney to Toss-up. I can't believe the Romney-Akin juggernaut hasn't closed the deal.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Bull****. If Missouri is within half a dozen points on election day, I'll be stunned.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        Bull****. If Missouri is within half a dozen points on election day, I'll be stunned.
                        I will be too, but polling is polling.
                        Cornell University

Comment

As always, numbers are meaningless, trends are not.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            AAA, student, credit cards, and other IDs are not acceptable under the new laws.

Also, you don't have to show ID to register in many states, merely proof of residence, such as a mortgage, a utility bill, etc. Most people will show an ID, but there are other forms that are acceptable.
                            It seems there is plenty of room for reasonable compromise here. The perception in some quarters, which seems reasonable to me, is that there are indisputable instances of election fraud. Even if it is not "widespread," if people feel strongly that their votes are being diluted unfairly, we have a problem.

Set aside "my team" vs "their team" for a moment, and think big picture...aren't we all better off feeling like someone won "fair and square"?

even if the incidents are isolated, they resonate. Excise the extremes for a moment. Set aside the "deliberate attempt to disenfranchise" nonsense for a little while and be rational. It seems we all agree every US citizen has the right to vote...at most once.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              I will be too, but polling is polling.
                              I saw a headline today where something like 43% of people disagree with you. Did not read on to find out if those are all the 43% of the people that are reality-denying Republicans still imagining a miracle upset. But basically they think the polls are not polls, but made up crap.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

...aren't we all better off feeling like someone won "fair and square"?
                                Sure, but why does the cure for the GOP perception that there's voter fraud involve the potential disenfranchising of lots of minority and poor voters? That's still trading one perceived problem for another.

Is it better to risk fraud to make sure every citizen gets to vote? Or is it better to curtail fraud at the risk of legitimate voters being denied their rights?

It's no different than people's perceptions of the criminal justice system. Is it better to let 1000 guilty men go free to make sure an innocent man stays out of prison? Or do we trample the rights of the innocent to make sure the guilty stay locked up?

It's a philosophical difference, and you won't convince me that the problem of fraud - real or perceived - is anywhere near severe enough to warrant the proposed solutions.
                                Last edited by unofan; 10-02-2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X