This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ObamaRama 8

traditionally American presidents don't bow to monarchs. the bow signifies subservience to the monarch. We do not bow to our President or elected officials for the same reason. Bowing is a gesture of being a subject. Free people are not subject. Ironically - considering Obama bowed to the Saudi King, most Muslims only bow to God - not to each other.
    Last edited by huskyfan; 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Slow news day?
      Agreed. This is much ado about nothing.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        traditionally American presidents don't bow to monarchs. the bow signifies subservience to the monarch. We do not bow to our President or elected officials for the same reason. Bowing is a gesture of being a subject. Free people are not subject. Ironically - considering Obama bowed to the Saudi King, most Muslims only bow to God - not to each other.
        Sure, fine, I'm good with that. He's just done things way worse, IMHO, such as that horrible response to the Fort Hood shootings. Doing fist bumps and shout outs professional Native Americans and only then, "by the way, 50 people were gunned down today, etc. etc." Horrible.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I'm not terribly cranked. its little stuff. protocol. we Americans aren't big on it. Some other nations are though and we can send the wrong message. this kind of stuff should be falling off a log for the White House.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Countries without a free press will show Obama exactly how they want to, regardless of his actions. Those with a free press aren't liable to make mountains of molehills. I just don't think it matters.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

It's the Outrage of the Day. Anybody who listens to sports radio is familiar with it.

Come to think of it, 90% of the contents of all political threads is.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                Your opinion of that would hold water if every culture had that norm, problem is that they don't, and different cultures put different associations with actions. If the President is going to visit other countries, he should be culturally aware, even if the populace he governs is uncomfortable that other people maybe different than them.

Comment

Obama has evidently changed his mind on making the purchase of health insurance mandatory:

http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/20...-health-i.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Obama has evidently changed his mind on making the purchase of health insurance mandatory:

http://www.weaselzippers.net/blog/20...-health-i.html
                    I'm sure you misheard or misunderstood. The toadies on here will set you straight
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      Sure, fine, I'm good with that. He's just done things way worse, IMHO, such as that horrible response to the Fort Hood shootings. Doing fist bumps and shout outs professional Native Americans and only then, "by the way, 50 people were gunned down today, etc. etc." Horrible.
                      agreed.

and btw - I think we've got enough evidence now that Obama isn't "the most blindingly intelligent" person to ever be President...a slight paraphrase from the media (remember he didn't realize that Austrian's speak German, not this Austrian language he mentioned, if it were Bush he would have been crucified for that gaff). this guy is so far over his head it would be funny if there wasn't so much at stake. It's like we elected a college professor as President. well-read and smart, yes, any knowledge of economics, or theories that work in practice? No.

oh wait, let's investigate the USCHO board now, who are these users who speak ill of chairman Barack? we need their emails, physical addresses, employer names, etc.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                        Your opinion of that would hold water if every culture had that norm, problem is that they don't, and different cultures put different associations with actions. If the President is going to visit other countries, he should be culturally aware, even if the populace he governs is uncomfortable that other people maybe different than them.
                        hmm, would this mean that other world leaders should be cognizant of American Culture and wear jeans, t-shirt, and eat at Mcdonalds when they are here? give high-fives maybe?

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          agreed.

and btw - I think we've got enough evidence now that Obama isn't "the most blindingly intelligent" person to ever be President...a slight paraphrase from the media (remember he didn't realize that Austrian's speak German, not this Austrian language he mentioned, if it were Bush he would have been crucified for that gaff). this guy is so far over his head it would be funny if there wasn't so much at stake. It's like we elected a college professor as President. well-read and smart, yes, any knowledge of economics, or theories that work in practice? No.

oh wait, let's investigate the USCHO board now, who are these users who speak ill of chairman Barack? we need their emails, physical addresses, employer names, etc.
                          Democrats place a high value on "being smart" as a measure of how good a president is. Conversely, they think most Republican presidents are "too stupid," Eisenhower, Reagan, Ford, Bush II were all varously attacked because of their alleged lack of brain power. Bush II, we were told, was as dumb as a bag of doorknobs, but his college boards and grades at Yale were higher than John Kerry's. Hmmm.

On the other hand, Jimmy Carter was a nookuler engineer, and presidents Gore, Dukakis and Mondale were all much smarter than their Repubican rivals. The genius Jimmy Carter wound up scheduling the WH tennis court, while that old dummy Ronald Reagan brought down the Soviet Union. Give me that kind of stupid every time.
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 11-15-2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            Democrats place a high value on "being smart" as a measure of how good a president is. Conversely, they think most Republican presidents are "too stupid," Eisenhower, Reagan, Ford, Bush II were all varously attacked because of their alleged lack of brain power. Bush II, we were told, was a dumb as a bag of doorknobs, but his college boards and grades a Yale were higher than John Kerry's. Hmmm.

On the other hand, Jimmy Carter was a nookuler engineer, and presidents Gore, Dukakis and Mondale were all much smarter than their Repubican rivals. The genius Jimmy Carter wound up scheduling the WH tennis court, while that old dummy Ronald Reagan brought down the Soviet Union. Give me that kind of stupid every time.
                            yes. and meanwhile, Antonin Scalia is just a hot-head, while Ruth bader is "cerebral"

it's just exasperating. Cause I'd love to see someone from the left debate a guy like Scalia, Thomas, Alito or going back to history Buckley, Reagan, Ike, I think they'd be resorting to name-calling quicker than they'd care to admit. good grief.

I can't imagine in any world referring to Ike as less than a genius but then again I never thought we'd live in a world where so many people think bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki is evil incarnate while the empirical evidence shows we would have lost close to 500,000 soldiers (doubling our total for the entire war to that point) with a land invasion of Japan.

Comment

yes. and meanwhile, Antonin Scalia is just a hot-head, while Ruth bader is "cerebral"

it's just exasperating. Cause I'd love to see someone from the left debate a guy like Scalia, Thomas, Alito or going back to history Buckley, Reagan, Ike, I think they'd be resorting to name-calling quicker than they'd care to admit. good grief.

I can't imagine in any world referring to Ike as less than a genius but then again I never thought we'd live in a world where so many people think bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki is evil incarnate while the empirical evidence shows we would have lost close to 500,000 soldiers (doubling our total for the entire war to that point) with a land invasion of Japan.
                              One time Buckley was asked why Bobby Kennedy rejected debating with him.
                              Buckley replied: "Why does bologna reject the grinder?"

Historian Steven Ambrose said of Eisenhower: he had an interesting entry on his resume--beat Hitler.

Truman issued the Potsdam Declaration, calling for the immediate surrender of Japan and promising a "rain of ruin," if they did not. Their response? They said they would "mokusatsu" the president's demand, which means to ignore.
                              They didn't ignore it for long. I said earlier today it is unbelievable that Obama had no answer for the A-bomb question. It is always asked. And if we would lose 500K killed in an invasion of Honshu, how many Japanese civilians would have died? At least that many.

This is a war they started, attacking us while their representatives in DC were "negotiating" with us.

The Bataan death march, summary beheadings of POW's to give their little samurai warriors sword practice, eating the livers of captured air crew and live fire experiments with American POW's at Harbin. These are some, but not all, of the war crimes they committed.

They have pretty much renounced and apologized for their actions (not for Pearl Harbor and the treatment of American POW's). About 10 times more Americans held prisoner by the Japanese died than did their counterparts in German captivity. Even so, I'm willing to let bygones be bygones. But an American president, any American president, must have an answer for that question and it must be an answer that doesn't equivocate or ***** foot around the necessities of war.

Comment

Have you ever heard Scalia speak? He is quite possibly the most arrogant man alive. He thinks he is above everyone else.

That said, he is an amazing legal scholar that I don't usually agree with.
                                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                                X