Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 4th Global War on Terror - Deja vu all over again!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 4th Global War on Terror - Deja vu all over again!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-we...ned-since-911/

Keep in mind this is written on a humor website, and should only be taken so seriously, but consider point #6 in this article and think for a moment:

In a weird way, didn't the terrorists win? How ridiculous has life gotten in the last 12 years, and consider how relatively easy it was to completely alter the way we live and how easy it is to get us to argue and ***** with each other.

Sure, it cost them their lives and put us all on a VERY EXPENSIVE manhunt that eventually killed them all (several times over... we've killed their second-in-command at least two dozen times by now)... but if their intent was to make us all **** on our lives, they've kind of succeeded.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Keep in mind this is written on a humor website, and should only be taken so seriously, but consider point #6 in this article and think for a moment:

In a weird way, didn't the terrorists win? How ridiculous has life gotten in the last 12 years, and consider how relatively easy it was to completely alter the way we live and how easy it is to get us to argue and ***** with each other.

Sure, it cost them their lives and put us all on a VERY EXPENSIVE manhunt that eventually killed them all (several times over... we've killed their second-in-command at least two dozen times by now)... but if their intent was to make us all **** on our lives, they've kind of succeeded.
      Right on the nose. The purpose of terrorism is to magnify the danger in the minds of potential victims. Because of the threat, every American is now treated (rudely) as a potential terrorist every time they fly. Individually, we face far greater dangers and threats to our lives every time we wake up and head out the door.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I rarely disagree with you, but I sincerely doubt (100% perhaps even) their mere intent is to make us wait a few minutes longer in line at the airport nor spend more in defense of this country. I will never be one of those yahoos that equates Islam with hate (lived there, befriended people there, loved my time there actually and will argue the vast, vast, vast majority of Muslims do not wish us harm), but the yuks that really want to do us harm have far more sinister and widespread intentions than causing us slight discomfort. They have expressly dedicated themselves to wiping Israel from the planet first and second destroying the way of life of Western citizenry.

They have won nothing in any grand scheme of things. Have we gone overboard to any degree? On a micro level probably, but on a larger scale this is not a minor threat. Were it not for their incompetence coupled with our resolve 9/11 would have already happened 2,3 times over somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          Guy Burgess, Donald McLean, Kim Philby, Anthony Blunt and John Cairncross. Those guys did far more than go to "a couple of meetings" in college.
          The Cambridge Five, most likely (unless someone verified Cairncross when I wasn't paying attention). Irony is there is a sixth Brit who may have been the most damaging of all, though he didn't attend Cambridge. His antics officially remain unproven but enough has been written about it that if it's not true I'll shoot myself in the face. I'm that sure of it. Chapman Pincher has a few superb books on the topic.

A rough primer that critiques both sides: http://www.quadrant.org.au/magazine/...f-roger-hollis
          Last edited by XYZ; 09-13-2013, 12:18 AM.
          I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
            The Cambridge Five, most likely (unless someone verified Cairncross when I wasn't paying attention). Irony is there is a sixth Brit who may have been the most damaging of all, though he didn't attend Cambridge. His antics officially remain unproven but enough has been written about it that if it's not true I'll shoot myself in the face. I'm that sure of it. Chapman Pincher has a few superb books on the topic.

A rough primer that critiques both sides: http://www.quadrant.org.au/magazine/...f-roger-hollis
            Anti-anti-communists had a point, no question. But there was a threat. A guy who sat behind FDR at Yalta passed secrets to a Soviet courier for heavens sake. And leave us not forget Julius and Ethel. Were there excesses during the McCarthy era? Certainly. In retrospect, some of it was not only hysterical, but plain dumb. But the "Hollywood Ten," much beloved even to this day, were all communists. And they were under party discipline during the HCUA hearings. John Reed (lionized in Reds) was on the Comintern payroll to the tune of around a million bucks. A king's ransom in those days. Armand Hammer, CEO of Occidental Petroleum, was the communist paymaster in America. The CPUSA was way more than "democracy in a hurry."
            Way more.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 09-13-2013, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              I rarely disagree with you, but I sincerely doubt (100% perhaps even) their mere intent is to make us wait a few minutes longer in line at the airport nor spend more in defense of this country. I will never be one of those yahoos that equates Islam with hate (lived there, befriended people there, loved my time there actually and will argue the vast, vast, vast majority of Muslims do not wish us harm), but the yuks that really want to do us harm have far more sinister and widespread intentions than causing us slight discomfort. They have expressly dedicated themselves to wiping Israel from the planet first and second destroying the way of life of Western citizenry.

They have won nothing in any grand scheme of things. Have we gone overboard to any degree? On a micro level probably, but on a larger scale this is not a minor threat. Were it not for their incompetence coupled with our resolve 9/11 would have already happened 2,3 times over somewhere else.
              I agree with you, too. One strategy would be to support secular governments in that part of the world. Governments that might be more authoritarian than we would prefer. But we would insist they be committed to modernity, separation of church and state and rights for all, including women. That kind of government would be in a position to strangle in the crib the Islamist nutcases. A government like the Pahlavis in Iran for instance. What? Never mind.

Comment

Anti-anti-communists had a point, no question. But there was a threat. A guy who sat behind FDR at Yalta passed secrets to a Soviet courier for heavens sake. And leave us not forget Julius and Ethel. Were there excesses during the McCarthy era? Certainly. In retrospect, some of it was not only hysterical, but plain dumb. But the "Hollywood Ten," much beloved even to this day, were all communists. And they were under party discipline during the HCUA hearings. John Reed (lionized in Reds was on the Comintern payroll to the tune of around a million bucks. A king's ransom in those days. Armand Hammer, CEO of Occidental Petroleum, was the communist paymaster in America. The CPUSA was way more than "democracy in a hurry."
                Way more.
                When it comes to humint the Russians are true artists. No one else is even worthy of comparison no less as assumption of equivalence.
                Last edited by XYZ; 09-13-2013, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                  When it comes to humint the Russians are true artists. No one else is even worthy of comparison no less as assumption of equivalence.
                  True. And our openness and their secretiveness (remember their lying bullsh*t about the Kursk?) makes a tough job even tougher. There was the scene in Dr. Strangelove where the Soviet ambassador told the president his source for some presumably secret information was the NYTimes.

They also have never been troubled by norms. The massacre in the Katyn Forest comes to mind. Or the Holodomor. As does the internment of a B-29 crew and plane, to allow them to completely copy the thing. The B-29, btw, was the costliest weapon of the war. More even than the bomb.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 09-13-2013, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Right on the nose. The purpose of terrorism is to magnify the danger in the minds of potential victims. Because of the threat, every American is now treated (rudely) as a potential terrorist every time they fly. Individually, we face far greater dangers and threats to our lives every time we wake up and head out the door.
                    I've always liked Dennis Miller's take on the subject. You really can't do anything about the truly bat**** crazy. All you can do is hope you're not around when they go off.

It's not a number capable of determination, but I've frequently wondered how many people are truly willing to strap a bomb to themselves and blow up a train, or fly a plane into a skyscraper. I think it's a lot smaller than our politicians, or the terrorist leaders, would like us to believe. And, of course, the beauty is they only get to do it once. The instinct for preservation is strong in the human race.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I find I don't have as much stamina for lynching darkies and planning for the annual April 20th ball as I used to. And goose stepping aggravates my arthritis.
                      Wait, you're a Sioux fan?
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Whoiux?

Comment

True. And our openness and their secretiveness (remember their lying bullsh*t about the Kursk?) makes a tough job even tougher. There was the scene in Dr. Strangelove where the Soviet ambassador told the president his source for some presumably secret information was the NYTimes.

They also have never been troubled by norms. The massacre in the Katyn Forest comes to mind. Or the Holodomor. As does the internment of a B-29 crew and plane, to allow them to completely copy the thing. The B-29, btw, was the costliest weapon of the war. More even than the bomb.
                          My age is beginning to show-how long did it take the Russians to admit they shot down KAL007 in 1983? I know they denied it for what seemed forever and then claimed it was a spy plane. I seem to recall a US Congressman was on board and was one of those 250+ lost.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Everyone is a Sioux fan. Whether they admit it is another thing.

Comment

Yes. The differences between our culture and theirs all happen to be things that help their humint proficiency while often hindering ours. Assuming, of course, we even made humint a priority, which we don't because we're painfully arrogant about a few things, but that's a whole different topic.

Comment

I find I don't have as much stamina for lynching darkies and planning for the annual April 20th ball as I used to. And goose stepping aggravates my arthritis.
                                Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                Whoiux?
                                Well, it couldn't be the Jouix.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X