X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaveStPaul
    replied
    Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    That soup sounds good
    Ah, but did the beans get fully cooked? No they did not. I turned the cooker off when I went to bed -- it had been cooking for 12 hours -- still hard in the middle. I'll crank it back up this afternoon, see what a few more hours can do.

So there's my big lesson, I guess: even if the recipe says no soaking necessary, you should still soak yer beans.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

Tonight I have to bake the sweet potato casserole, throw together the apple-cranberry tart, assemble and bake manicotti, and frost cupcakes. I was out of town from Fri-Tue, so I mashed the potatoes ahead of time, and made the manicotti filling, frosting and cupcakes. Tart dough was already made. It worked out pretty well.

Making Choco-Buzz cake this weekend for a family birthday.

I finalized my Christmas cookie baking for next week.

Peanut Butter Maple
    White Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprints
    Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels
    Cranberry Christmas Canes
    Car-co-doodles
    Maple Pecan Slice-and-Bake
    Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach
    Gingersnap Palmiers
    Blueberry Pecan twirls
    Gingerbread biscotti
    Cranberry Bliss cookies
    Grasshopper cookies (my grandmother used to make grasshoppers every Christmas)
    Cranberry Apricot Oatmeal
    Fudgy Gingerbread Bars with Rum Glaze from the cookie contest
    Chocolate Rum snowballs

Dark Chocolate Buttercrunch, Cranberry Nut Bark, and Brandy Snaps come a bit later.

My grocery list for the weekend includes 9 pounds of butter.
    Last edited by jen; 11-27-2013, 10:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

I wish I could eat pecans - everyone else in the family does. They start off so buttery...and then, within a few minutes, my throat gets itchy, prickly, and annoying.

I have a mild allergy to pecans, walnuts, and cashews. Brazil nuts are actually the worst - I had a bit of trouble breathing for about an hour after the one time I tried one.

Oddly, no problem with almonds, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts. And of course, peanuts are not really nuts, they're legumes - no problem there either.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    MAN do I love pecan pie.

This crazy, overly-wordy, but helpful site http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/11/pecan-pie/ says to do it overnight. No fridge necessary.

On the non-Thanksgiving side of things, I'm trying my slow cooker for the 1st time today. I went with something simple: bean soup. All it has for ingredients is:

Dried beans
    Andouille sausage
    Celery
    Onion
    Thyme
    Chicken stock

Dump it all in, stir it up, and run for 7 1/2 hours. Half an hour before the end I add a big pile of chopped

Collard greens

We'll see how it turns out, and what can be different/improved the next time around. Also, it should give us dinner for tonight and tomorrow, freeing up at least a little pre-Thanksgiving running around time.
    That soup sounds good

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    MAN do I love pecan pie.

This crazy, overly-wordy, but helpful site http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/11/pecan-pie/ says to do it overnight. No fridge necessary.

On the non-Thanksgiving side of things, I'm trying my slow cooker for the 1st time today. I went with something simple: bean soup. All it has for ingredients is:

Dried beans
    Andouille sausage
    Celery
    Onion
    Thyme
    Chicken stock

Dump it all in, stir it up, and run for 7 1/2 hours. Half an hour before the end I add a big pile of chopped

Collard greens

We'll see how it turns out, and what can be different/improved the next time around. Also, it should give us dinner for tonight and tomorrow, freeing up at least a little pre-Thanksgiving running around time.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X