Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    What the **** is grape salad?
    If I had to guess, it is either Cool Whip based or a Jello based. Probably standard church basement fare.
    I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      Stop ruining food with peppermint!

I'm not sure what kind of cookies I'll make yet. But I only make a couple batches, unlIke Jen who could feed small villages.
      mint = Christmas. I try to limit cookies to seasonally appropriate varieties (some exceptions, like PB Maple, which, have I mentioned, is the greatest cookie ever?). Mint, gingerbread, rum, seasonal shapes, etc. I'm pretty heavy on the mint this year, though. But I think there's enough different kinds so the mint haters will find something they like.

It's hard to think of other Christmas flavors. Anything eggnog I've tried has not been eggnogg-y enough for my taste. Almond extract reminds of me Christmas, but I absolutely detest it and refuse to use it.

and I only feed maybe half a village.
      Last edited by jen; 11-21-2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Acceptable xmas add ins are: nutmeg, vanilla, eggnog, gingerbread and if you're a coffee shop, caramel.

Also good old fashioned frosted sugar cookies.
        Last edited by JF_Gophers; 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Mint is not Christmas.
          The only thing at all that I can think of that is mint flavored that has an association with Christmas are candy canes, and they suck something fierce. I don't want my cookies to taste like toothpaste.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Mint is not Christmas.
            The only thing at all that I can think of that is mint flavored that has an association with Christmas are candy canes, and they suck something fierce. I don't want my cookies to taste like toothpaste.
            Mint is Christmas for me. And I'm the one making the cookies. Candy canes are mint, and my grandmother always made grasshoppers at Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
              Mint is Christmas for me. And I'm the one making the cookies. Candy canes are mint, and my grandmother always made grasshoppers at Christmas.
              Mint is most definitely Christmas, like you said with the candy canes. Those fruity ones are only new within the last couple decades, and they don't hold up to the peppermint ones. You go into any coffee shop, order their Christmas themed mocha, it's got peppermint syrup or crushed peppermint candies mixed in. Mint is a Christmas flavor all the way, right up there with gingerbread.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

One restaurant is doing away with tipping
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Sour cream and cream cheese are the dressing. You can google the standard recipe and I recommend it, it tastes awesome. My nephew makes it and he adds more crunch than the recipe calls for.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

the whole article, for reference. A lot of the choices are very strange. Minnesota gets grape salad because one person had it? They're trying a bit too hard to be on trend with some of these. Also there's mention of corn pudding (sorry, it belongs to Virginia).

Wisconsin got wild rice and mushrooms. I'd link wild rice more to Minnesota than Wisconsin.

Comment

Holy crap. I have just found out my mom is not only familiar with grape salad but has had a couple different preparations.

I feel like I'm seeing an ivory billed woodpecker. People swear they've seen them, people have pictures of them, but you just can't believe them until you see one for yourself.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Holy crap. I have just found out my mom is not only familiar with grape salad but has had a couple different preparations.

I feel like I'm seeing an ivory billed woodpecker. People swear they've seen them, people have pictures of them, but you just can't believe them until you see one for yourself.
                        We had grape salad yesterday and it was awesome. My nephew also made a crap rangoon dip that was the delicious, just packed with crab flavor. On the comical side, my wife forgot to put the sugar in the pumkin pie! She took a bite and exclaimed "This is the worst pumpkin pie I've ever had!!!" Everyone also agreed, but didn't say anything until she did, she was the last to sit down and eat it since she served the desserts up. Poor Honeybunches. Now I've got a long time zinger that matches my forgetting to put the drain plug in the boat prior to launch (it did not sink thank the good Lord, though it scared the bleep out of us as we tried to get back to the launch before it was too late).
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I found out my mom was lying. :/

I figured since she grew up in a church-centric family and small town in northern. Minnesota it was possible. What a jerk.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            My nephew also made a crap rangoon dip that was the delicious,
                            Gross?
                            Code:

Comment

almost there. 3 kinds of candy left, and only 1 cookie.

That ***** Martha Stewart's gingersnap palmiers were a huge failure again. Really tasty, but almost every single one broke in the middle (between the "ears") or puffed out weird and didn't hold shape. Couldn't donate them, so had to make an extra batch of peanut butter maple, since I was 24 cookies short.

brutti du buoni another failure. Tossed the batch after the texture turned out all wrong. oh well. I only made them because I had extra hazelnuts, so not a huge loss.
                              Last edited by jen; 12-02-2014, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Done. Final tally, not counting ones tossed in the garbage (or eaten): 1,456

30% donated to charity, 65% given to friends and family (and work), and 5% kept for family Christmas.

PHEW.

Final list with recipes:

Peanut Butter Maple (repeat)
                                Peppermint Candy Canes (repeat)
                                Maple Pecan Slices (repeat)
                                Gluten Free Molasses (new)
                                Peppermint Shortbread (new)
                                Gingerbread Snickerdoodles (new)
                                Grasshoppers (repeat)
                                Chocolate Cornflake Wreaths (new)
                                Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach (repeat)
                                Rum Pecan Praline Shortbread (new)
                                Mandelbrot (Zingerman's recipe... not online) (repeat)
                                Dark Chocolate Buttercrunch (repeat)
                                Peppermint Bark (repeat)
                                Cranberry Pecan Bark (repeat)
                                Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels (repeat)
                                Dark Chocolate Ginger Bark (repeat)
                                Rolo turtles (new)
                                Gluten Free Chocolate Chip - made with white chips and dried cherries (new)

My first batch of gluten free spread a lot and got pretty thin. One of the recipe commenters mentioned freezing the dough after rolling into into balls, and the baking straight from the freezer. That worked really well.

Pretty happy with how the rest turned out. I only broke ONE candy cane cookie, which I think is a world record.

Rolo turtles seem a little redneck-y, but man, are they easy to make and addictive.

Was up until 11:30 organizing last night - now to get them packaged up for the mail.
                                Last edited by jen; 12-05-2014, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X