Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

If donuts aren't deep-fried, they're just round little cakes. Enough with the "baked donuts". That's CAKE. In a different shape. There. I said it.

Comment

When do I have to refrigerate baked goods that contain cream cheese? I see stuff that has cream cheese in it out in room temp all the time, but it seems to me it should be chilled.

Comment

Good Eats now on Netflix. 25 episodes. Hopefully more to come.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Good Eats now on Netflix. 25 episodes. Hopefully more to come.
          There was a time when almost every episode was available on YouTube. I'm guessing Food Network's lawyers have shut that down by now.

Comment

I may or may not have them all.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I swore I wasn't going to freeze apples this year, but.... my mom mentioned maybe an apple tart or two might be nice for Thanksgiving. And since there's good apples available right now (at least 4 orchards at the market) and there won't be at Thanksgiving, really, I had no choice, right? At least I didn't buy a bushel. There are so many kinds to choose from. I got Cortland and Secor (??? not Secord had never heard of them before, but they're apparently tart). What do people put in their pies, etc? I don't like baked apples, so I have no idea what people prefer, but it seems a mix of sweet and tart would be ideal to cover the bases.

and I made these brownies yesterday. Very good, but not sure if they're better than these, which are my go-to for plain brownies.

btw, am I the only one that hates Honeycrisp? People get so effing excited about those and I think they're disgusting.
              Last edited by jen; 10-26-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                btw, am I the only one that hates Honeycrisp? People get so effing excited about those and I think they're disgusting.
                Nope, I don't like them either.

Comment

Granny smith is OK for pie but my all time favorite in pie is Macoun. YUM!! I can't eat apples raw- allergy- but love them cooked.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                    I like them well enough, but prefer some other apples. As for the new hybrids that have been put out there, like Honeycrisp, I prefer the SweeTango.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/what-is...+AlbertBurneko

Love it. Especially this passage:
                      Cutting back on refined carbohydrates, booze, and calories is smart; subsequently attributing your improved health to the elimination of wheat gluten from your diet is dumb. If adopting a no-throwing-yourself-off-of-tall-precipices lifestyle improves your health, it's because colliding with the earth at a high velocity is bad for you—not because you have a congenital sensitivity to wind.
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        I know a couple people who have actual gluten allergies. If they eat wheat, they all have different reactions, but they're all pretty severe. The one woman gets nauseous, my hockey buddy looks like he's on the verge of going paraphylactic (sp?) shock, and my s-i-l gets pretty ill but I don't know if she's going full reversal or not.

While I've not gone gluten free, I have seriously reduced all of my refined sugars intake, reducing the amount of wheat, standard sugar, and HFCS. The result? I've dropped a ton of weight, but it's becuase those things happen to be present in high calorie foods, not the absence of gluten itself.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

A lengthy reflection about our relationship with food and cooking and what it tells us about ourselves, in this week's New Yorker.

Most of the energy that we put into our thinking about food, I realized, isn’t about food; it’s about anxiety. Food makes us anxious. The infinite range of choices and possible self-expressions means that there are so many ways to go wrong. You can make people ill, and you can make yourself look absurd. People feel judged by their food choices, and they are right to feel that, because they are.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Corn cookies from the Goddess of All that is Good, Christina Tosi. Easy to make. I really like the texture of these, a little chewy, but still crunchy, and a little salty, but sweet. Not overwhelmingly corn-y. The process is a lot like her Blueberry and Cream cookies (with the long creaming time), which are also excellent.

Comment

A story about the last ten years' of research about food and health: it turns out that fat intake isn't really so bad for you after all.

The most hopeful path lies in a different direction: An enormous trove of research over the past decade has shown that a low-carbohydrate regime consistently outperforms any other diet in improving health. Diabetics, for instance, can most effectively stabilize their blood glucose on a low-carb diet; heart-disease victims are able to raise their “good” HDL cholesterol while lowering their triglycerides. And at least two-dozen well-controlled diet trials, involving thousands of subjects, have shown that limiting carbohydrates leads to greater weight loss than does cutting fat.
                              That story in turn links to a story in The New England Journal of Medicine that provides further details.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                A story about the last ten years' of research about food and health: it turns out that fat intake isn't really so bad for you after all.

That story in turn links to a story in The New England Journal of Medicine that provides further details.
                                That's what I've been doing since February this year, in addition to exercise and keeping my calories in check; I'm down 110lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X