Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Thx, Koho.
    Did you try the salsa?

Comment

San Fran restaurant owner gives zero sh-ts about being gluten-free
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

On the other hand, it sounds like he may have thrown a few choice gay slurs at one of those picky customers, and did that to back-pedal. I don't think anyone's a hero in this story.

Comment

Last night I decided to make home made Caesar salad dressing instead of using out of the bottle dressing. When I tasted it I just about jumped through the roof. How could such basic ingredients taste so freaking good? It was amazing. I was the first time I have ever made a home made emulsion. My mind is now open to making all sorts of dressings from scratch.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Last night I decided to make home made Caesar salad dressing instead of using out of the bottle dressing. When I tasted it I just about jumped through the roof. How could such basic ingredients taste so freaking good? It was amazing. I was the first time I have ever made a home made emulsion. My mind is now open to making all sorts of dressings from scratch.
            Yep, it makes a huge difference. I actually stopped buying bottled salad dressing earlier this year, because it's expensive, full of questionable preservatives and fillers, and rarely tastes good. Instead, in invested in a bulk-sized container of extra virgin olive oil, and a good bottle of balsamic vinegar aged with figs. That plus salt and pepper is my go-to for salad. On occasions when I want a creamy blue cheese or ranch, I just make a small amount at home.

Comment

British restaurant creates 8,000 calorie breakfast

They make you sign a waiver before attempting it. The only way I would even try is if I hadn't eaten for a week.
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

I've been having problems with bread not rising enough when I make it by hand. I picked up some brotforms from Amazon to help mold the dough and re-fed my sourdough starter. It was over the top of the container this morning, so I think it's good to go now. I also picked up a new baking stone (mine was a circle, which makes it hard to bake 2 loaves). Excited to bake a few loaves this weekend. There's a porter rye loaf I want to try, as well as Bouchon's multigrain.

Comment

Canning applesauce using Cortlands. I'm not an experienced canner--just keep it simple with no sugar and a little cinnamon. Any suggestions with recipe or possibly using different brand or mix of brands?

Comment

Canning applesauce using Cortlands. I'm not an experienced canner--just keep it simple with no sugar and a little cinnamon. Any suggestions with recipe or possibly using different brand or mix of brands?
                    using a pressure canner I hope
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      using a pressure canner I hope
                      No. Just water bath. Problem, other than time?

Comment

No. Just water bath. Problem, other than time?
                        I think you have to use a pressure canner for apple sauce but maybe I'm wrong. maybe you can do it with a regular water bath?
                        Just googled it, I guess you can water bath apple sauce. I remember my mom using a pressure canner on apple sauce but that was many many years ago so...
                        Last edited by walrus; 10-05-2014, 12:19 PM.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          I think you have to use a pressure canner for apple sauce but maybe I'm wrong. maybe you can do it with a regular water bath?
                          Just googled it, I guess you can water bath apple sauce. I remember my mom using a pressure canner on apple sauce but that was many many years ago so...
                          I think pressure cooker is the better and more efficient way. I'm way behind our moms, I'm afraid.

Comment

Soup season. I made chicken, sweet potato, and peanut stew earlier this week. I also threw in some butternut squash, substitiuted chickpeas for half the chicken, PB2 for the real PB, tomato sauce for diced tomatoes, and used all sweet potatoes. It's pretty good - wish it was a little thicker, but that's likely attributed to using PB2 instead of peanut butter, as well as the tomato sauce.

Only 3 weeks of the summer Farmer's Market left, so I need to make some more soups (there's a winter market, but it's a pain to go there). Carrot Lentil next week, I think.
                            Last edited by jen; 10-08-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

More bread adventures. I made a multigrain recipe from the Bouchon Bakery cookbook, and it nearly broke my mixer (I was surprised they suggested using a mixer, and not kneading by hand). The dough was very stiff, and it hardly rose at all. May try it by hand next time. I wonder if Thomas Keller would buy me a new mixer if I wrote to him.

The Porter Rye turned out well, but it's a pretty heavy bread. You can definitely taste the porter.

Comment

Doughnut icebox birthday cake

No baking required.

Comment

Working...
                                X