X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/what-is...+AlbertBurneko

Love it. Especially this passage:
    Cutting back on refined carbohydrates, booze, and calories is smart; subsequently attributing your improved health to the elimination of wheat gluten from your diet is dumb. If adopting a no-throwing-yourself-off-of-tall-precipices lifestyle improves your health, it's because colliding with the earth at a high velocity is bad for you—not because you have a congenital sensitivity to wind.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by jen View Post
    btw, am I the only one that hates Honeycrisp? People get so effing excited about those and I think they're disgusting.
    I like them well enough, but prefer some other apples. As for the new hybrids that have been put out there, like Honeycrisp, I prefer the SweeTango.

Leave a comment:

• leswp1
    replied

Granny smith is OK for pie but my all time favorite in pie is Macoun. YUM!! I can't eat apples raw- allergy- but love them cooked.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by jen View Post
    btw, am I the only one that hates Honeycrisp? People get so effing excited about those and I think they're disgusting.
    Nope, I don't like them either.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

I swore I wasn't going to freeze apples this year, but.... my mom mentioned maybe an apple tart or two might be nice for Thanksgiving. And since there's good apples available right now (at least 4 orchards at the market) and there won't be at Thanksgiving, really, I had no choice, right? At least I didn't buy a bushel. There are so many kinds to choose from. I got Cortland and Secor (??? not Secord had never heard of them before, but they're apparently tart). What do people put in their pies, etc? I don't like baked apples, so I have no idea what people prefer, but it seems a mix of sweet and tart would be ideal to cover the bases.

and I made these brownies yesterday. Very good, but not sure if they're better than these, which are my go-to for plain brownies.

Last edited by jen; 10-26-2014, 07:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

I may or may not have them all.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Good Eats now on Netflix. 25 episodes. Hopefully more to come.
    There was a time when almost every episode was available on YouTube. I'm guessing Food Network's lawyers have shut that down by now.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Good Eats now on Netflix. 25 episodes. Hopefully more to come.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

When do I have to refrigerate baked goods that contain cream cheese? I see stuff that has cream cheese in it out in room temp all the time, but it seems to me it should be chilled.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

If donuts aren't deep-fried, they're just round little cakes. Enough with the "baked donuts". That's CAKE. In a different shape. There. I said it.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Doughnut icebox birthday cake

No baking required.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

More bread adventures. I made a multigrain recipe from the Bouchon Bakery cookbook, and it nearly broke my mixer (I was surprised they suggested using a mixer, and not kneading by hand). The dough was very stiff, and it hardly rose at all. May try it by hand next time. I wonder if Thomas Keller would buy me a new mixer if I wrote to him.

The Porter Rye turned out well, but it's a pretty heavy bread. You can definitely taste the porter.

Leave a comment:

• jen
    replied

Soup season. I made chicken, sweet potato, and peanut stew earlier this week. I also threw in some butternut squash, substitiuted chickpeas for half the chicken, PB2 for the real PB, tomato sauce for diced tomatoes, and used all sweet potatoes. It's pretty good - wish it was a little thicker, but that's likely attributed to using PB2 instead of peanut butter, as well as the tomato sauce.

Only 3 weeks of the summer Farmer's Market left, so I need to make some more soups (there's a winter market, but it's a pain to go there). Carrot Lentil next week, I think.
    Last edited by jen; 10-08-2014, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    I think you have to use a pressure canner for apple sauce but maybe I'm wrong. maybe you can do it with a regular water bath?
    Just googled it, I guess you can water bath apple sauce. I remember my mom using a pressure canner on apple sauce but that was many many years ago so...
    I think pressure cooker is the better and more efficient way. I'm way behind our moms, I'm afraid.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

Originally posted by burd View Post
    No. Just water bath. Problem, other than time?
    I think you have to use a pressure canner for apple sauce but maybe I'm wrong. maybe you can do it with a regular water bath?
    Just googled it, I guess you can water bath apple sauce. I remember my mom using a pressure canner on apple sauce but that was many many years ago so...
    Last edited by walrus; 10-05-2014, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X