Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    There used to be an old woman, Marjorie Johnson, that used to enter the MN state fair for a whole slew of baking and cooking categories. She had won so many categories so often that a local company started selling her preserves, putting her name and face on the labels. She's been on a number of those lady gossip shows as the guest chef, and even Leno's show a time a two. There's some money in winning these competitions.

She even has a site to buy her recipe books: http://www.blueribbonbaking.com/
    Whattya mean "used to be"???? Marjorie is still going strong and I'm sure she'll win more ribbons at the 2014 State Fair.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Whattya mean "used to be"???? Marjorie is still going strong and I'm sure she'll win more ribbons at the 2014 State Fair.
      I figured she'd be too old by now to do what's necessary to get all of those entries in on time. She must be coming up on 90 years old by now.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I figured she'd be too old by now to do what's necessary to get all of those entries in on time. She must be coming up on 90 years old by now.
        When I was turning my items in last year she was getting interviewed by Andrew Zimmern about six feet away from me. They did a big deal on her and followed her in as she turned in her coffee cake, which is her big ticket item. From what I gather she's pretty much indestructible when it comes to coffee cake. Long story short, she's must weigh about 85 pounds, but she's still ticking...
        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          My State Fair experience is done. meh. I didn't place in the first 2 categories, and I don't know the results of the last one yet. I wasn't happy with my cookies, and the winners that beat my pie looked REALLY good. I ended up re-making my pound cake because the first one sank in the middle (second one was fine).

I think I was on the lower end of how seriously I took the contest, so probably would not do State Fair again. I like baking to be fun, and this was not all that fun. I'd rather find something that looks good or fun/challenging to make, and try it - not spend endless hours tweaking the same recipe over and over before a deadline where it feels like a chore.
          Yeah, for some people these competitions are their entire lives. And there is nothing in it for them other than pride -- unless $12 per category and a ribbon count as something. From my experiences the baking entrants seem to be much more hardcore than the preserved food crowd. I have only ever entered canning categories. Everything I enter are things I already made prior to even being aware of these sorts of competitions. With or without the state fair, I know my few specialties are really good and I constantly work to make them better since it's entire possible I may be really anal when it comes to the fact that if I'm going to do something I might as well do it as well as possible. Thus, since I know they're good I might as well enter them. Little trickier now considering I moved, but via some creative shipping and my trips back I'll be sticking things in again. I've scored a handful of seconds in the past and just want to get one first just so I can say I did, then I'll likely stop bothering. I blame this whole thing on my mom making a ridiculously good zucchini relish when I was a kid

Long story short, there are some people who make this their entire life and it's pretty ridiculous. The psychology is the same as that seen in parents who hang on the fence and scream like idiots at youth sports games. They've got nothing else.

Google "Roy Berrum Crystal, MN." Prime example. Dude has no life outside of entering food in the fair. Well, unless you count a horrible youtube cooking show. I'll also point out that I've been smoking Roy annually in my few preferred categories.

My advice for the future is instead of making things specifically for the fair, rather just make whatever you want to in general and if you're convinced it's really good and it fits into a fair category, then enter it. Odds are it's better than you think.

PS Still no luck on the shirt, and I've legitimately tried. Might not help that the Eau Claire torch and pitchfork crowd ain't real pleased with me at the moment.
          Last edited by XYZ; 08-04-2014, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I haven't cooked anything that didn't require a microwave, a packet of mystery ingredients, or a phone in like a week and a half. I think I might be dying...
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
              Long story short, there are some people who make this their entire life and it's pretty ridiculous. The psychology is the same as that seen in parents who hang on the fence and scream like idiots at youth sports games. They've got nothing else.

Google "Roy Berrum Crystal, MN." Prime example. Dude has no life outside of entering food in the fair. Well, unless you count a horrible youtube cooking show. I'll also point out that I've been smoking Roy annually in my few preferred categories.

My advice for the future is instead of making things specifically for the fair, rather just make whatever you want to in general and if you're convinced it's really good and it fits into a fair category, then enter it. Odds are it's better than you think.
              yep, that's the feeling I got from the other competitors. I decided to enter because of my pie recipe, so that one I barely tested and had already. The other two were ideas I got after looking at the categories, so those were too much work. I enjoy leaving the house too much to do it again.

Comment

Beef liver, sauteed in butter, smothered in onions and applewood smoked bacon.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  Beef liver, sauteed in butter, smothered in onions and applewood smoked bacon.
                  All good except for that liver in there.

Comment

• Two thirds, a second and, finally, a first in the Minnesota State Fair. Oddly, the pepper relish that took 2nd last year and I consider to be my best item got skunked. That's going to baffle me for a while but I certainly am not going to complain with the overall results.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      Two thirds, a second and, finally, a first in the Minnesota State Fair. Oddly, the pepper relish that took 2nd last year and I consider to be my best item got skunked. That's going to baffle me for a while but I certainly am not going to complain with the overall results.
                      What took the blue?

ETA: Congrats by the way!

Comment

Zucchini relish. And thanks

Comment

Canning salsa for the winter. Any of you have a salsa recipe you like for canning?

Comment

For tomorrow, since I don't want to cook, I'm putting garlic kielbasa and sauerkraut in the slow cooker. Tried it with a traditional kielbasa earlier and liked it, so this week, we're trying it with garlic.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Family gathering today. Gougeres, pulled pork sandwiches, German potato salad, fruit salad, Indian strudel (for the vegetarians), mac and cheese with asiago, cheddar and parm-reggiano, and for dessert, mixed berry cheesecake galette and salted caramel Ding Dong cake. My mom is bringing green beans and my sister-in-law is bringing gazpacho. I really like this "someone else handle the veggies" thing, as that's the dish I always have trouble with.

Also, I FINALLY defrosted some of the salsa verde I made last year after my tomatillos tried to take over the world, and it was delicious.
                              Last edited by jen; 09-01-2014, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Canning salsa for the winter. Any of you have a salsa recipe you like for canning?
                                4 cups tomats (I don't take skins off, but cube tomats)
                                2 cups bell peppers
                                1 cup onion
                                1/4 cup apple cidar vinegar
                                bunch of garlic (several cloves)
                                jalapeno, cayenne and whatever kind of hot peppers
                                Add salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and fresh cilantro to taste

Cook everything but tomats until peppers and onions are tender. Add tomats and cook until done. Can add can of tomat paste to thicken near end.

Making some today. But there are a million recipes online for various salsas.
                                Last edited by Koho; 09-01-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X