Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

Oh man, I love sunflower seeds. I'm sure you could find prep instructions online.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I made BBQ beef sandwiches in the Crock Pot yesterday. Made a homemade BBQ sauce to go with it. The sauce was incredible yesterday. Today? Not so much. No idea why, but the vinegar just waaaaay overwhelmed it today where yesterday it was a background flavor. Whisked it before using it today too. Weird.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Ok. Looking for some ideas here. Going to be doing a hog roast on the 13th. We will get a whole hog and butcher it the day before. There will be ribs, kracklins, sausage, tenderloins and pulled pork. The ribs, sausage and kracklins are no problem. We also have a way we do the pulled pork as well. What I am looking for is ideas with the tenderloins. Any thoughts? In the past I have just used simple marinades and grilled them as slow as I could. They come out ok but I would like to do better. Also with the pulled pork normally we just chunck up the quaters, grill them and then put them in some pans on the grill with a vinegar based juice/sauce thing (I went a little heavier on the apple cider vinegar last year and people seemed to like the tang) and then cover them with foil for a few hours. After that it has soaked in the sauce and is falling apart on its on pretty well. If anyone has ideas on any other sauce style ideas I'd love to hear them. I was thinking about one pan doing more of the mustard based South Carolina style sauce and letting it sit in that for a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
          Ok. Looking for some ideas here. Going to be doing a hog roast on the 13th. We will get a whole hog and butcher it the day before. There will be ribs, kracklins, sausage, tenderloins and pulled pork. The ribs, sausage and kracklins are no problem. We also have a way we do the pulled pork as well. What I am looking for is ideas with the tenderloins. Any thoughts? In the past I have just used simple marinades and grilled them as slow as I could. They come out ok but I would like to do better. Also with the pulled pork normally we just chunck up the quaters, grill them and then put them in some pans on the grill with a vinegar based juice/sauce thing (I went a little heavier on the apple cider vinegar last year and people seemed to like the tang) and then cover them with foil for a few hours. After that it has soaked in the sauce and is falling apart on its on pretty well. If anyone has ideas on any other sauce style ideas I'd love to hear them. I was thinking about one pan doing more of the mustard based South Carolina style sauce and letting it sit in that for a few hours.
          I don't know what you should do with the tenderloins, but I would like to be invited to your hog roast.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Any hog roast I've been to the whole hog gets thrown on the cooker.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Any hog roast I've been to the whole hog gets thrown on the cooker.
              Thats how it used to be done but a few years ago they started to do all the different stuff to make things a bit more interesting. People wanted to make sausage and what not. It wasnt until I showed up in 2008 that they even started doing anything with the ribs. If I was more adventurous and had any idea what I was doing I would make blood sausage and do some stuff with organs. Unfortunately we are getting this from the universities farm and they need the organs for labs and what not.

Found out we should be getting a 175-200 lb hog. The amount of food we have at this thing will be ridiculous. Every person that shows up brings a side dish or dessert plus all the pork. Needless to say people end up taking a bunch of food home and eating on it for a few more days. Probably have 75 people at least.
              Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 10-02-2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                Found out we should be getting a 175-200 lb hog. The amount of food we have at this thing will be ridiculous. Every person that shows up brings a side dish or dessert plus all the pork. Needless to say people end up taking a bunch of food home and eating on it for a few more days. Probably have 75 people at least.
                Hanging weight or live weight? If it is hanging weight, that is a pretty big barrow, but if that is live weight, it is actually a pretty small barrow. You're probably better off with a smaller barrow, as it will be leaner and you won't have such a massive amount of meat.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Celebrating the start of hockey season by throwing back a 1 lb. ribeye. Pan seared and finished in the oven - it doesn't get much better.

Comment

I love soup weather.

This week's soup: Spinach, Feta and Toasted Pine Nut

I made my own chicken stock a few weeks ago after roasting a chicken in my slow cooker. Not sure if I did something wrong, but I wasn't that impressed with the stock (the chicken was good, though).

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post

I made my own chicken stock a few weeks ago after roasting a chicken in my slow cooker. Not sure if I did something wrong, but I wasn't that impressed with the stock (the chicken was good, though).
                      I have never made a good chicken stock myself and I have tried many, many times. I can make great turkey stock with the carcass or ham stock with a ham bone, but not good chicken stock from the raw whole bird. I suppose the common denominator is the chicken is not from a roasted carcass, it's the whole raw bird. I'll have to accumulate a few roasted chicken carcasses in the freezer and give it a try from those. Thanks for making me think this through jen.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        Sounds very good, but I don't know if I could make a meal out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Hanging weight or live weight? If it is hanging weight, that is a pretty big barrow, but if that is live weight, it is actually a pretty small barrow. You're probably better off with a smaller barrow, as it will be leaner and you won't have such a massive amount of meat.
                          Thats the live weight. Its still a ton of meat either way. We always send a bunch of it home with people. Getting excited for it though. Today a few people are going out for all the supplies and tomorrow we pick up the hog and do some butchering. Then start Saturday morning at 7 AM with more prep work like getting the quarters cut up and start making sausage and what not. We decided to still do our pulled pork in the same manner we always do but will add a mustard sauce to some of it before serving. I am also making a Carolina style cole slaw to put on them. We are smoking the ribs and loins and will grill the sausage of course. Should be interesting. If I can get a good pic or two I will post it (someone has an awesome panoramic fish eye type view of the grill from last year just loaded with meat but I cant find it).

Comment

We made lamb biryani for dinner tonight:

*****http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/553971_480735291946701_2057495418_n.jpg******

Comment

Ended up with a 230 lb live weight hog. We had sooooo much food. Made a lot of pulled pork and sausage. The ribs went quick and there was not much left of the loins either. It was a lot of fun. This may have been my last one with this group (it was with a department on campus) but I have done it for 4 years and was bascially the grill master the past 3.

Comment

Have made pulled pork in the crock pot the last two Sundays. This week we used Market Pantry honey barbecue sauce, and was it ever good for a store brand.

I've also twice made chicken noodle soup with a whole chicken. My secret to making the broth tastier is adding two Knorr chicken bouillon cubes that I get from the new Mexican grocery up the road.

I like cooking in winter. I am sure there will be more recipe sharing. However, ELCAsoccer has very simple tastes so it might not be overly creative.
                                Originally posted by Jack Layton's last words to Canada
                                My friends, hope is better than anger, love is better than fear, optimism is better than despair. So let us be Hopeful, Loving, and Optimistic, and we'll change the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X