Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

It's 86 degrees, and I've made chicken soup for dinner. What the hell is wrong with me?

Comment

Absolutely nothing. I've made chili when it's 100 degrees out.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Absolutely nothing. I've made chili when it's 100 degrees out.
        And I've stood over a hot stove, making candy in the dead of summer. Sugar does not like to be worked in a humid environment.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Just made my first ever sponge cake. The recipe calls for store bought but there isn't any to be had around here.

Comment

Attempted eclairs over the weekend. The pate a choux wasn't too bad, but I thought my filling turned out wrong (the picture in the book had it much fluffier - like whipped cream, and I made a few substitutions that didn't turn out in my favor) and my pastry didn't puff out a ton. But after looking at David Lebovitz' eclairs, I think I wasn't too far off. I didn't read the directions closely enough, and made my eclair halves separately, rather than making one and slicing it. Will definitely try again.

Comment

Yesterday I used the smoker so I decided to fill all four racks. Smoked chicken breasts and thighs, a rack of ribs and tried some new (to me) things. Smoked some corn on the cob and some onions. I was using hickory and I think it was too strong for the corn - might have been OK if I had used alder or apple but I didn't care for the corn with all the hickory flavor. The onions were awesome, and they weren't even sweet onions as the recipe called for.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                Company coming. Serving the following menu at Mt les Summit Lodge

Hors Oeuvre's- Crackers served with choice of Tapenade, artichoke 'dip', almonds, cheeses)
                Salad greens, frizzled Prosciutto and red pepper with Maple Balsamic Vinagrette
                Lemon Herb Chicken
                Roasted vegetables (summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, onions, tomatoes roasted separately and served lined up next to each other on the serving dish) with shaved parmesan
                Angel Hair Pasta with olive oil, fresh basil and garlic
                [Subject to availability and ingenuity of the groundhog- Garden Fresh tomatoes, mozorella, basil and garlic-- the ground hog may win this one]
                Cornbread
                Desserts- Olive’s Icebox Cake (sponge cake with lemon/orange cream filling), Cookies and brownies
                Beverages

Family Style Brunch
                Muffins- Blueberry and Apple
                Swedish coffee bread
                Maple scones, orange scones
                Egg dish- Spinach quiche?
                Bacon (of course)
                Fresh Fruit with yogurt
                Orange Juice
                Coffee, tea
                Made brownies and froze them Made a chocolate zucchini cake instead.
                I need a bigger kitchen a bigger fridge and a bigger freezer. That is all.

Comment

Pepper relish and zucchini relish both score second place at the Minnesota State Fair. I'll take it.
                  Last edited by XYZ; 08-26-2013, 11:35 PM.
                  I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                    Pepper relish and zucchini relish both score second place at the Minnesota State Fair. I'll take it.
                    nice!

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      W00t! Congrats. Now when is the USCHO tasting session?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        W00t! Congrats. Now when is the USCHO tasting session?
                        Ha, any time. I've always been into the whole relish thing as when I was young my mom made a killer zucchini relish. Always thought it was awesome on burgers, hot dogs and brats. Can't even really tell it's zucchini.

Since an e-tasting is somewhat impossible, I don't measure anything but best I recall here's what's in each:

Pepper relish: Red bell pepper, cascabella pepper, gypsy pepper, onion, mustard seed, sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar (quite simple really, but adjusting a variety of ratios can have a pretty significant impact on end result)

Zucchini relish: Zucchini (peeled for final aesthetics), onion, red bell pepper, fresno pepper, gypsy pepper, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed, cilantro, wasabi powder (really), sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar.

-Zucchini relish recipes vary very little, and I tried to think about how to make one stand out just a bit in a positive way. Ended up trying to give it just a little bit of zest with the fresno and wasabi powder, and then balancing that with the cilantro. To not kill the freshness factor of the cilantro I actually initially canned it without it, opened them two days later, added the cilantro and tweaked sweetness a bit, processed for about two minutes and immediately canned again.

In both cases I chop the veggies and let soak overnight in saltwater. Common technique in zucchini relish recipes but not so much pepper. I like to use for both as it helps pull all the water out which ultimately leads to more concentrated flavors, imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                          Ha, any time. I've always been into the whole relish thing as when I was young my mom made a killer zucchini relish. Always thought it was awesome on burgers, hot dogs and brats. Can't even really tell it's zucchini.

Since an e-tasting is somewhat impossible, I don't measure anything but best I recall here's what's in each:
                          My wife makes a very good zucchini relish but I think it's way simpler than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            My wife makes a very good zucchini relish but I think it's way simpler than yours.
                            It's probably the standard one like my mom used to make: Zucchini, onion, red pepper, celery seed, mustard seed, turmeric, vinegar, sugar

That's what shows up in about 98% of recipes for the stuff, and it's absolutely excellent in my opinion. Evidently the (questionable) judges at the fair seemed to think otherwise, however....as I learned the hard way. Were it not for that I'd never have found a need to start making it more complex.

Comment

Successful dinner, brunch. Phew. Left overs for a week!

Comment

This weekend's French pastry project will be croissants, possibly chocolate ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X