Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

Originally posted by jen View Post
    we discovered 5 huge mason jars of homemade maple syrup (labeled "1989").
    That would be my clue to avoid eating anything in that room.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      That would be my clue to avoid eating anything in that room.
      the only thing we saved was the maple syrup. some of the things were unidentifiable. she also had a freezer full of raspberries - we didn't save those - I think the newest were 2 years old (the thought of her picking and freezing all those raspberries at age 80 makes me smile)

Made high fiber sourdough waffles this morning, with wild blueberries, and my grandmother's syrup - delicious. The syrup thickened up overnight and was perfect.
      Last edited by jen; 07-15-2013, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Just bought a pound of leaf lard. After I render it, what's the best way to store it?
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
          Just bought a pound of leaf lard. After I render it, what's the best way to store it?
          I recommend Googling a lot of culinary questions. The consensus seems to be refrigeration for a few months, freezing in airtight packaging for up to a year. A few say that if you have the time for proper canning (boiling the jars and such), that will extend the life. It's ultimately up to the smell/appearance/taste test.

Comment

If it was sold as leaf lard isn't it already rendered? Throw it in a container with a lid in the fridge same as you would would any other fat you wanted to save for future use. It's no different than bacon drippings save for the part of the hog it came from. What do you plan on using this for?
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
              If it was sold as leaf lard isn't it already rendered? Throw it in a container with a lid in the fridge same as you would would any other fat you wanted to save for future use. It's no different than bacon drippings save for the part of the hog it came from. What do you plan on using this for?
              General cooking purposes. I especially want to try my hand at pie dough.

And no, it does not come rendered. It comes from the farm as a big blob of fat.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I've been trying to find uses for my starter, so I made sourdough pretzels yesterday. They don't have the chewy outside texture a lot of pretzels do, but they were very good anyway. The first pretzels I've made that didn't turn out flat. I also want to try Grant Achatz' German soft pretzel sticks

Hosting a family brunch next week - menu so far:
                Baked French toast
                Lemon Herb Chicken Ring
                Maple roasted bacon
                Mushroom quiche from Thomas Keller
                Baked Strawberry (mini) donuts
                Cheesy Crock Pot Hash Browns
                (mini) blueberry muffins from Bouchon Bakery
                some type of caprese salad
                fruit salad
                pineapple strawberry punch
                popovers (regular and sourdough)
                broccoli with gouda sauce
                some type of coffee cake thing.. maybe with cream cheese.
                and for dessert: chocolate lasagna and lemon-tiramisu trifle

mmm, carbs.

Comment

General cooking purposes. I especially want to try my hand at pie dough.

And no, it does not come rendered. It comes from the farm as a big blob of fat.
                  Don't you have to render it to make pie crust? Simmer it until all the water comes out and the temp hits ? on a candy thermometer
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Anyone else a fan of this show?

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/show...sy-ladies.html

I think they are very funny and that they should plan a road trip to Madison.
                    WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

Comment

can anyone come up with a reason I can't substitute hazelnut flour for almond flour in the streusel in this blueberry muffin recipe? I have a crap ton of hazelnut flour, and it was expensive, and I don't have almond flour. I figure it's streusel, it'd be just a slight difference in taste.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        can anyone come up with a reason I can't substitute hazelnut flour for almond flour in the streusel in this blueberry muffin recipe? I have a crap ton of hazelnut flour, and it was expensive, and I don't have almond flour. I figure it's streusel, it'd be just a slight difference in taste.
                        No, it should work but will have different flavor. How long have you had the flour and how have you stored it? I keep both almond flour and coconut flour in freezer otherwise it spoils in a few weeks at room temps

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          No, it should work but will have different flavor. How long have you had the flour and how have you stored it? I keep both almond flour and coconut flour in freezer otherwise it spoils in a few weeks at room temps
                          hmmm, mine is probably old. I kept it at room temperature. I think I'll get the hazelnut again, though, instead of almond, since my Russanzopf recipe calls for it.

Comment

Mark Bittman presents 12 things to do with watermelon

Have a batch in the freezer to make granitas, probably also going to do one of the soups and one of the salads tonight.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Brought out the smoker for the first time this year. 5.5lb pulled pork and then three varieties of ribs, baby back, st. louis, and country style. First time doing ribs and they seemed to go over well. The pulled pork was on there for 10.5 solid hours and came off in pieces. So delicious. Was finally able to regulate the heat throughout the whole smoking process, and it seemed to make a difference.

Comment

Made Lasagna with zucchini noodles instead of pasta. Used a mandolin set at 1/8in, layered it up like a normal lasagna except no ricotta and used provolone for cheese. Its watery as the zucchini is full of water but its really good. I' might try it again, put the slices of zucchini in dehydrator first to rid it of some liquid

Comment

Working...
                                X