Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Open Your Mystery Basket.

This is hardly cooking but -- In a half-arsed attempt to get some protein with my breakfast, I put a thin slice of cheddar on a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel this morning. It was actually good! Have to think of a name for it now.
    Bugs Bunny - 96
    Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Last night, I cooked pork chops and rubbed them with Dijon mustard before cooking. Still feels like it was missing something... maybe next time I'll do a maple-mustard rub. Or a lemon-garlic marinade.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Was going to smoke a whole chicken tonight but too windy and too cold, doubt I can get the grill very hot so I'm going to roast it in the oven instead.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Last night it was chicken tikka masala, followed by brunch today with my family for eggs Benedict casserole, homemade sourdough pancakes, and a nod to the day with corned beef. The eggs were good, but real eggs benedict is better; just can't makei individuals for the crowd.

Lots of bloody Mary's and champagne.

Comment

Roasting a chicken. Pot roast tomorrow. It is cold windy and it doesn't feel like Spring.

Comment

Prime strip steak, broccoli, potato-kale-cheese casserole. Already had my corned beef at lunch last week.

Comment

Roasted salmon, home-made soda bread, and peas with lemon and butter. Slainte!
                Bugs Bunny - 96
                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

The chicken I roasted Sunday night turned into soup today, awesome meal on a snowy night

Comment

I'm cooking everything in bacon fat from here on out.
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      I'm cooking everything in bacon fat from here on out.
                      Keep your mind open. I'm sure there are a number of chefs who would tell you that, while bacon fat is great, it's not suited for every application.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Keep your mind open. I'm sure there are a number of chefs who would tell you that, while bacon fat is great, it's not suited for every application.
                        Hey, according to Good Eats, prior to World War II, bacon fat was the fat of choice in America. I'm trying to move away from seed oils and focus more on olive oil, butter, and animal fats. Speaking of, I can't wait to get my hands on some duck fat and lard. A little fat goes a long way...

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                          Hey, according to Good Eats, prior to World War II, bacon fat was the fat of choice in America.
                          I believe Alton said it was America's favorite frying fat. Butter was consumed too.

You're right about the seed oils though - universal use of vegetable, canola, cottonseed, soybean oils, etc. has risen to prominence in the last 30 years. I personally believe, without concrete proof, that these oils are more processed and, in moderation, no healthier than butter, if not less so. But they are so prevalent that they are now difficult to avoid entirely.

Olive oil is the newest field entry, gaining most of its popularity in the past decade. You have to buy a good quality extra virgin though, or else there's little point to spending the money. It's kind of like the difference between blended scotch and single malt. I suspect the 'light' olive oils are heavily blended.

Comment

I like Grape seed oil

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I believe Alton said it was America's favorite frying fat. Butter was consumed too.

You're right about the seed oils though - universal use of vegetable, canola, cottonseed, soybean oils, etc. has risen to prominence in the last 30 years. I personally believe, without concrete proof, that these oils are more processed and, in moderation, no healthier than butter, if not less so. But they are so prevalent that they are now difficult to avoid entirely.

Olive oil is the newest field entry, gaining most of its popularity in the past decade. You have to buy a good quality extra virgin though, or else there's little point to spending the money. It's kind of like the difference between blended scotch and single malt. I suspect the 'light' olive oils are heavily blended.
                              Not only that, anything in a clear plastic or glass bottle has probably started turning rancid before you even purchase it. That's one of the downsides of poly-unsaturated fat; it goes bad very quickly.

Comment

I don't know, I'd be hesitant to cook with added animal fats (much less any fat) that frequently.

Regarding the seed oils, I'm not sure how you define processed, but all fats are processed. ALL of them. That and the fact that you simply can't get a pan hot enough using the animal fats.
                                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-19-2013, 11:18 PM.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X