Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Romney was done a big disservice running against idiots in the primaries. The only decent intellectual thinker on the podium, Gingrich, had more baggage than American Airlines. I don't expect the Mittster to kick butt in the debates, but I've been surprised before. Wooden stiff Kerry had a much better series of debates than I ever expected.
    Also by then Dubya had had four years of bobbing and weaving to perfect his debate style (repeat the same talking point three times and give a toothy aw shucks smile to the camera). Dubya's debate performances against Gore were unbelievably bad. The first debate he looked as stupid as Palin and as inept as Quayle. It's not an easy or natural thing, and Romney has never had to really do it.

Romney also wasn't helped because the debates were 10-way or 6-way, and so there was very little direct punch / counter-punch.

I don't expect either candidate to say or do anything interesting in the debates -- Obama because he doesn't need to and Romney because he does not appear capable. The Veep debate I think could be an absolute classic: both candidates could be overconfident and both are very dangerous rhetorically if underestimated. Since expectations have been shaped so Biden will get a draw as long as he doesn't dry hump the moderator and poop his pants on stage, Ryan may not be able to score the knock out he would like for his considerable personal ambitions.
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-27-2012, 09:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Romney has to be Stephen A. Douglas in the debates, but the RomneyBot 2012 isn't programmed that way. It doesn't help that, incredibly, it does not appear that he realizes he is losing. He may be the stereotypical CEO completely surrounded by yes men, or he may simply be incapable of believing after a life of having everything handed to him that this is going to be any different.
    Romney was done a big disservice running against idiots in the primaries. The only decent intellectual thinker on the podium, Gingrich, had more baggage than American Airlines. I don't expect the Mittster to kick butt in the debates, but I've been surprised before. Wooden stiff Kerry had a much better series of debates than I ever expected.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    The O is looking good but needs to hold to a draw in the debates. Romney is in Kerry's position at this point. Unliked but if he can smoke Obama in the debates people will give him a second look. I will say that it seems this is the absolute last chance for Romney to right the ship. He didn't get a double digit recession and while there's been international turmoil nobody trusts Republicans on foreign affairs anymore post Bush II.
    Romney has to be Stephen A. Douglas in the debates, but the RomneyBot 2012 isn't programmed that way. It doesn't help that, incredibly, it does not appear that he realizes he is losing. He may be the stereotypical CEO completely surrounded by yes men, or he may simply be incapable of believing after a life of having everything handed to him that this is going to be any different.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied
    538 has Obama's likelihood of re-election now above 80%. Just one month ago this race was within the margin of error, with Obama having about a 2-point lead. In the 538 model it's now 4 points, because pretty much every recent poll not spelled "Rasmussen" is now showing Obama with around a 5-point national lead.

We're also beyond the convention bounce timeframe. Romney's monumental collapse began with his Libya crack and then of course the 47% comment (and the monumentally elitist viewpoint from which it springs) became his image. He has defined himself -- the Obama folks didn't have to do anything.

He's not Kerry. He's Dukakis. I suppose he could still be William Jennings Brian in the debates...
    The O is looking good but needs to hold to a draw in the debates. Romney is in Kerry's position at this point. Unliked but if he can smoke Obama in the debates people will give him a second look. I will say that it seems this is the absolute last chance for Romney to right the ship. He didn't get a double digit recession and while there's been international turmoil nobody trusts Republicans on foreign affairs anymore post Bush II.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

538 has Obama's likelihood of re-election now above 80%. Just one month ago this race was within the margin of error, with Obama having about a 2-point lead. In the 538 model it's now 4 points, because pretty much every recent poll not spelled "Rasmussen" is now showing Obama with around a 5-point national lead.

We're also beyond the convention bounce timeframe. Romney's monumental collapse began with his Libya crack and then of course the 47% comment (and the monumentally elitist viewpoint from which it springs) became his image. He has defined himself -- the Obama folks didn't have to do anything.

He's not Kerry. He's Dukakis. I suppose he could still be William Jennings Brian in the debates...
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
    Or he has no coherent ones at all. Probably a matter of perception.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today. 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood .' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self Reliance", 1841

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

When I first saw this, I thought who is this Seamus guy? But the article is actually pretty awesome...and a pretty glaring look at where this campaign has headed.

Seamus McGraw: Mitt Romney's Gaffes Are Needlessly Weakening Him Against Obama

Published September 25, 2012

Fox News Latino

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/pol...against-obama/

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
    Agreement with views is one thing. I'm just happy to see that someone wants to state their own views, rather than what someone tells them to state. In this country, I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will support your freedom to say it.

Leave a comment:

• XYZ
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Which obviously means you have your own views on things, and you ought to be commended for that.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Flag,

My GOP friends call me a liberal and my Dem friends call me a conservative. It all depends on the subject of the discussion.
    Which obviously means you have your own views on things, and you ought to be commended for that.

Leave a comment:

• Old Pio
    replied

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

The Daily Show gets why Romney is an idiot and why Obama is the luckiest guy around. If Obama was running against a real candidate he would be in trouble. Problem is Romney is a moron and the people in charge of his campaign couldnt run a lemonade stand.

edit: Flag,

My GOP friends call me a liberal and my Dem friends call me a conservative. It all depends on the subject of the discussion.
    They probably call you a "conservative" because you want to hit Sandra Fluke with a co-pay.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    They nominated an idiot. Again.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

They just should not let him speak.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Herman Cain, Ron Paul, and recently Gary Johnson.
    Hermain Cain? Seriously? He's essentially Sarah Palin all over again. Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are at least true libertarian wing Republicans.

Hermain Cain is just a walking set of slogans.
    Last edited by unofan; 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied

The Daily Show gets why Romney is an idiot and why Obama is the luckiest guy around. If Obama was running against a real candidate he would be in trouble. Problem is Romney is a moron and the people in charge of his campaign couldnt run a lemonade stand.

edit: Flag,

Last edited by Handyman; 09-26-2012, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X