Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Well, this is embarrassing. Fox News spent the day spreading the meme that the polls are wrong because COMMUNIST LIBRUL BIAS BRAINWASHING SATAN. And then the Fox News poll came out.
    I was told the polls dont matter
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      No WAY! You found a Youtube video of someone saying something radical!?!? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I SAY!!
      I assume we'll have a similar response to the next time someone posts a picture of some ****** saying keep the government out of my medicare or some such stupidity.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Conservatives today would find Eisenhower and Reagan to be RINO's. Obama doesn't even qualify as a liberal half the time. In fact he's more conservative in many waves than GW. So, I rest my case. Oh, I knew Bob would side with Old Pio. Both posters who espouse their supposed middle of the road rhetoric on here every day and go nuts with faux outrage every time someone calls them what they are, radical.
        The analytical prowess of a gerbil.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          That's funny cause when I think of conservatives the last thing I think of is less government power. Seems to me they spend all their time on what women do with their bodies, which two people are getting married, and who is voting in an election.
          Perhaps so....that's the problem with labels, no? they conceal and divide as much as they reveal and explain.

While a significant minority of people may be ideologically consistent; I suspect most people are not. My own inclination is to be an empiricist or a pragmatist. I'm comfortable with being wrong, admitting mistakes, learning new things. I'm okay with using a pencil and eraser.

One thing that I've noticed empirically is that rule number one for people in power is to remain in power. I do not trust the government to watch out for me; I am not upset that people in government would have as their first priority to watch out for themselves...after all, that's human nature. I do find it sad when people become vested in one side or the other "winning"....do you really think either candidate cares about us? In their own way, Romney and Obama each are primarily about stroking their own egos, no?
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
            I think that works both ways.
            It does seem that, when it comes to politics, both the left and the right are moving to the extremes, while at the same time people who actively identify with either the left or the right are dwindling in number. There are almost no "blue dog" Democrats left; there are few "RINO"s left. Yet surveys of party affiliation also find fewer people identify with either party.

For every Koch there's a Soros, for every Corzine there's a McMahon. More ideological litmus tests at either extreme and lots of big money to stir them up and keep them roiling.

Back when we had to walk uphill both going to school and also coming home, barefoot through the snow, politics was an occasional thing. Now it seems we can't escape it.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Where have all the conservative Scarborough's gone? I may disagree on some issues...but there's a guy who values a balanced perspective, very pragmatic by letting the issues and not ideology drive his perspective, and willing to call out his team when they mess up & not just to show others that 'he's somehow moderate'. I wish congress would pay enough to attract more like him...rather than attracting those rabidly addicted to ideology.
              Yeah, I like him. He's someone that I don't agree with all the time, but I enjoy hearing his perspective as it doesn't have the overt agenda behind it that so many others do.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                For every Koch there's a Soros,
                There are actually two Kochs and only one Soros.

Are you saying that there are just as many billionaires supporting democrats as there are billionaires supporting republicans? Seriously?

Comment

Are you saying that there are just as many billionaires supporting democrats as there are billionaires supporting republicans? Seriously?
                  It's not an especially relevant datum, since there are so few of them, but what about the "Oracle of Omaha?"

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    It does seem that, when it comes to politics, both the left and the right are moving to the extremes, while at the same time people who actively identify with either the left or the right are dwindling in number. There are almost no "blue dog" Democrats left; there are few "RINO"s left. Yet surveys of party affiliation also find fewer people identify with either party.

For every Koch there's a Soros, for every Corzine there's a McMahon. More ideological litmus tests at either extreme and lots of big money to stir them up and keep them roiling.

Back when we had to walk uphill both going to school and also coming home, barefoot through the snow, politics was an occasional thing. Now it seems we can't escape it.
                    I disagree to this extent: while it's true the public debate seems to be dominated by the extremes, that doesn't mean we're buying all they're selling. I'm not convinced we're as divided as the commentariate would have us believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      It's not an especially relevant datum, since there are so few of them, but what about the "Oracle of Omaha?"
                      He counts for two Kochs right? Or is that four?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well, list them out....I'll bet you $1 that there are more wealthy people supporting democrats than there are wealthy people supporting republicans, as long as we agree that Bloomberg is neither.

Kennedy, Kerry, Soros, Pelosi, Corzine, Buffett, 3/4 of Hollywood, definitely on the left, no?

Koch, a guy whose name I can't recall, another guy whose name I can't recall, Bush, definitely on the right.

Gates, non-partisan, as far as I can tell. Bloomberg, off in his own place, wherever that is.

Wall St. typically gives more money to Democrats than Republicans, though I can't find the supporting data right now...and that may have changed since the Dodd - Frank monstrosity was enacted (do we need a Constitutional amendment outlawing bills more than 100 pages long?? sheesh.)

I don't care one way or the other, if you can give me the data, I'll accept it. Based on what I've seen and heard, yes, I'd say more wealthy people support Democrats than Republicans. Obama certainly thinks so, he spends plenty of time making life miserable for Manhattan commuters with all his *&%#@! fundraisers during rush hour!
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 09-27-2012, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Well, this is embarrassing. Fox News spent the day spreading the meme that the polls are wrong because COMMUNIST LIBRUL BIAS BRAINWASHING SATAN. And then the Fox News poll came out.
                          The GOP denies that it's trying to suppress the votes by likely Democratic supports with a raft of end runs around voting rights laws---much as they deny evolution, climate change and their war on women's health rights. But they latch onto the idea that a conspiracy among pollsters is aimed at suppressing the GOP vote. Yeah, that's the ticket.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

The GOP denies that it's trying to suppress the votes by likely Democratic supports with a raft of end runs around voting rights laws---much as they deny evolution, climate change and their war on women's health rights. But they latch onto the idea that a conspiracy among pollsters is aimed at suppressing the GOP vote. Yeah, that's the ticket.
                            The Democratic machines have never suppressed the GOP vote. That is true. The Dems usually use any means possible to outvote them including bringing forth the dead, voting often, and making up a total that ensures their person wins.

Controlling the newsmedia and academia helps too.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              The Democratic machines have never suppressed the GOP vote. That is true. The Dems usually use any means possible to outvote them including bringing forth the dead, voting often, and making up a total that ensures their person wins.

Controlling the newsmedia and academia helps too.
                              The Black Panthers gave their regards.

Comment

The idea of Republicans waging a "war on women" seems a bit droll to me. Most of the men I know think of Obama as a twit, a high school student on Shark Tank, over-matched, out of his depth, and so ignorant of what he doesn't know to realize how little he actually does know. The are impatient with him for his incompetence; to them he is below average as a manager and administrator and doesn't understand economics or business.

Most of the women I know are really angry with him, much more so than the men. They spent decades fighting against male condescension and male indifference, and his whole campaign is about reviving that: "you cute little thing, you really need government to watch out for you, you know...here's your free contraception, and don't you worry about your salary negotiations either, we'll step in and take care of that for you too."

Meanwhile they recognize that his tax policies will hit two-income families harder, and they don't like that either.

Comment

Working...
                                X