Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Putting taxes at Clinton era rates means no excuses. If the budget could be balanced under those rates, it can be again. Meaning, the revenue those rates bring in. That's what the gubmint has to spend. Now, you are correct (did I say that?) in that there will need to be spending reductions.
    that's fine. we can agree on that, on both sides.

we remain stuck with the "Lucy paradox." The Dems have promised "if you increase taxes now, we'll cut spending later" several times. The Repubs have gone along with it. The taxes went up, the spending did not go down.

With the resurgence in economic conservatism, the battle cry has been reversed: "if you want to increase taxes, you first have to cut spending as a good faith down payment, after which we can then increase taxes."

For me personally, it seems to me that both of those positions are off target. It seems more important that the tax system be rational, simple, and promote growth as its higher priorities. I don't mind using a wealth tax for redistribution; it seems counter-productive however to use an income tax with redistribution as a primary objective.

I agree with most of the goals of the progressive agenda, it is merely the methods that I find problematic. A big part of the problem is that there are plenty of things people will do voluntarily that they will resist doing if they feel they are being forced. Paradoxical, perhaps, yet that appears to be how human nature works.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Conservatives theme song for Romney-Ryan ticket.

"Don't you get to lost now, in all I say. I bet at the time you know I really felt that waayyy. But that was then and now you know, its today." - Joe Cocker "Feelin' Alright".
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Speaking of Paul Ryan, looks like he and Scott Walker love unions now.
        Neither of them had any problems with private sector unions. FDR was on Walker's side when it came to public sector unions, you know.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Yeah but you think Paul Ryan is the answer to this issue even though he spread his legs faster for Bush than a $2 whore. Fiscal responsibility no longer exists no matter how much you close your eyes, plug your nose and pray your idol means what he says.
          I at least appreciate your honesty that you're in the live for today, forget about tomorrow crowd, which is the dominant thinking in our decisionmaking circles and has been for awhile now.

Ryan questions it, even though I doubt he can get anything substantive changed. Too many vested interests that'll see the ship sink before helping bail out a bucket of water.
          Originally posted by Priceless
          Good to see you're so reasonable.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
          Very well, said.
          Originally posted by Rover
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
            I at least appreciate your honesty that you're in the live for today, forget about tomorrow crowd, which is the dominant thinking in our decisionmaking circles and has been for awhile now.

Ryan questions it, even though I doubt he can get anything substantive changed. Too many vested interests that'll see the ship sink before helping bail out a bucket of water.
            He didn't question it in Congress, he voted for every big ticket item Bush threw his way
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              He didn't question it in Congress, he voted for every big ticket item Bush threw his way
              Shhh...Bob doesnt care. Ryan SAYS he is a fiscal conservative so Bob believes him. Bob won't let the facts get in the way of his own delusions...he never has
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post

Ryan questions what?
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  How did Dubya? Remember you voted for him because he had an MBA how exactly did he and his Cronies pay for their bailouts? Remember it wasnt Obama that nationalized Fannie and Freddie or bailed out the banks it was your boy who learned economics at Yale and got that all important MBA.
                  Someone didn't read, "Either one, it doesn't matter which."

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    With the resurgence in economic conservatism, the battle cry has been reversed: "if you want to increase taxes, you first have to cut spending as a good faith down payment, after which we can then increase taxes."
                    What planet do you live on? The new battle cry is that taxes will NOT BE INCREASED under any circumstances. "We don't care if we piled on two wars, a federal education mandate, and a new prescription entitlement. You will not increase taxes UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES."...The Republican Party.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      What planet do you live on? The new battle cry is that taxes will NOT BE INCREASED under any circumstances. "We don't care if we piled on two wars, a federal education mandate, and a new prescription entitlement. You will not increase taxes UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES."...The Republican Party.
                      Let me ask you an honest question... From a standpoint of your own fiscal being, and I'm only referring to fiscal decisions that are completely under your direct control, what do you do when prices go up, but your allotment of money remains the same?

Comment

MBA's are worthless.
                        If you can't get into grad school go to med school. If you can't get into med school go to law school. If you can't get into law school go to business school.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Let me ask you an honest question... From a standpoint of your own fiscal being, and I'm only referring to fiscal decisions that are completely under your direct control, what do you do when prices go up, but your allotment of money remains the same?
                          I cut or I borrow. It depends on what I'm trying to cover an whether I'm willing to give it up or its not a necessity. Same as anyone else I imagine. I'm lucky in that I haven't gone through a job loss for either myself or my spouse.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          If you can't get into grad school go to med school. If you can't get into med school go to law school. If you can't get into law school go to business school.
                          Exactly.

Comment

I cut or I borrow. It depends on what I'm trying to cover an whether I'm willing to give it up or its not a necessity. Same as anyone else I imagine. I'm lucky in that I haven't gone through a job loss for either myself or my spouse.
                            Or you take on another job to increase your income, but none of the "household finances = government finances" crowd like to talk about that because it might make people think that increasing taxes to pay for things is a good idea.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                              Or you take on another job to increase your income, but none of the "household finances = government finances" crowd like to talk about that because it might make people think that increasing taxes to pay for things is a good idea.
                              Yeah, we've actually done that occasionally to help cover things.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Someone didn't read, "Either one, it doesn't matter which."
                                No I read, I was just curious what your MBA having Messiah did to pay off his bailouts that is all. You dont need to be a Yale grad to understand my point
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X