Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You realise he isn't referring to that, yes?
    Then please enlighten me, oh troll. Because I would love to hear how the government wastes half of all social security payments.

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Then please enlighten me, oh troll. Because I would love to hear how the government wastes half of all social security payments.
      How about Bill Clinton stealing from Social Security to balance the budget?

Comment

As a Christian on Sunday morning, I say bring on the taxes. If churches can't obey the law and stay within the code, you can't stay within the code. That's really horrible for you and that means that you should be taxed just like any other corporation:

Pastors pledge to defy IRS, preach politics from pulpit ahead of election

More than 1,000 pastors are planning to challenge the IRS next month by deliberately preaching politics ahead of the presidential election despite a federal ban on endorsements from the pulpit.

The defiant move, they hope, will prompt the IRS to enforce a 1954 tax code amendment that prohibits tax-exempt organizations, such as churches, from making political endorsements. Alliance Defending Freedom, which is holding the October summit, said it wants the IRS to press the matter so it can be decided in court. The group believes the law violates the First Amendment by “muzzling” preachers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/23...#ixzz27IsW5EcB
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          As a Christian on Sunday morning, I say bring on the taxes. If churches can't obey the law and stay within the code, you can't stay within the code. That's really horrible for you and that means that you should be taxed just like any other corporation:

Pastors pledge to defy IRS, preach politics from pulpit ahead of election

More than 1,000 pastors are planning to challenge the IRS next month by deliberately preaching politics ahead of the presidential election despite a federal ban on endorsements from the pulpit.

The defiant move, they hope, will prompt the IRS to enforce a 1954 tax code amendment that prohibits tax-exempt organizations, such as churches, from making political endorsements. Alliance Defending Freedom, which is holding the October summit, said it wants the IRS to press the matter so it can be decided in court. The group believes the law violates the First Amendment by “muzzling” preachers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/23...#ixzz27IsW5EcB
          If there was a candidate out there who was for repealing the 13th amendment, would you want the preachers to be silent? If they think a candidate or party's position is contrary to their faith tenents, why should not they speak out against those positions.

Yes, I know Archbishop Chaput (RC - Philadelphia) has come out rather strongly against the Democratic party for their position on abortion. What, may I ask, should he do? Remain silent?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            If there was a candidate out there who was for repealing the 13th amendment, would you want the preachers to be silent? If they think a candidate or party's position is contrary to their faith tenents, why should not they speak out against those positions.

Yes, I know Archbishop Chaput (RC - Philadelphia) has come out rather strongly against the Democratic party for their position on abortion. What, may I ask, should he do? Remain silent?
            Because staying out of politics is a requirement for them to be tax exempt? Which is just fine until they get that law changed, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
              Because staying out of politics is a requirement for them to be tax exempt? Which is just fine until they get that law changed, right?
              Depends - See Dietrich Bonhoeffer. He paid rather dearly for speaking out against the administration.

But you did not answer my question -- if the candidate or his party or a current law is so morally reprehensible to that religious person, what should they do? Imagine if the preachers in the 60's were silent on what was going on in the South because of the tax laws? Would you be calling down the wrath of the IRS upon them?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Depends - See Dietrich Bonhoeffer. He paid rather dearly for speaking out against the administration.

But you did not answer my question -- if the candidate or his party or a current law is so morally reprehensible to that religious person, what should they do? Imagine if the preachers in the 60's were silent on what was going on in the South because of the tax laws? Would you be calling down the wrath of the IRS upon them?
                I love when you're obtuse.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  How about Bill Clinton stealing from Social Security to balance the budget?
                  And here I'd thought you'd at least try to come up with some numbers, rather than a Fox News talking point...

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    And here I'd thought you'd at least try to come up with some numbers, rather than a Fox News talking point...
                    The funny thing is, that "talking point" I actually heard from one of your people.

Guess it's time to drag out the stones; there's a blasphemer.

Comment

But you did not answer my question
                      Expecting a libstain to answer a question is like expecting frogs to fall out of the sky.

Comment

Absolutely remain silent across the board. Separation of church. We either believe in the core beliefs of the United States or we don't.

We also have no idea how many political organizations will form as a 'church'.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Absolutely remain silent across the board. Separation of church. We either believe in the core beliefs of the United States or we don't.

We also have no idea how many political organizations will form as a 'church'.
                          The Democrats practically have already, at this point the only thing left is to call it a "church".

Comment

Wait a second...I thought the Dotcom Bubble balanced the budget, and Newt and the Republican Congress...now it is Clinton stealing from Social Security? What is next, Dont Ask Dont Tell balanced the Budget? Transvaginal Ultrasound balanced the budget? Perhaps Voter Ids? Apparently every GOP talking point for the past 8 years is truly the reason the budget was balanced under Clinton

Ya know why the GOP is not going to win...because even they have no idea what their campaign is anymore. I have seen 14 year old girls hopped up on Alzheimer's Meds that are more coherent than the current GOP platform. That is why they nominated Romney! Who better to represent a group of people with no clue what is going on than a guy who flip flops more than John Kerry on a case of Jolt Cola!

*****http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/3a_062Sweater.jpg******
                            El Guapo/Jefe 2012! They will not only rape the horses and ride off on all the women but they will prune the hedges of all the small villages!!
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm trying to remember. Didn't JJ,Sr run two campaigns for president, significantly from the pulpits of black churches? And were any of those churches investigated? Did any of them lose their exemption?
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Preaching from the pulpit against abortion is completely, 100% appropriate. Preaching that, "Abortion is a sin, and therefore you should all go vote for John Q. UpstandingChurchGoer on Tuesday," is completely, 100% inappropriate for a tax-exempt religious organization.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X