Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Did he say freeloaders? Does anyone find it troubling that 47% of the population is receiving some sort of payment from the government??

In terms of winning the White House with an austerity pledge (FWIW), the idea of telling some of that 47% that you're off the payment rolls may seem a bit suicidal.
    Where did you get that 47% of people get a payment from the govenment?

http://factcheck.org/2012/09/depende...47-percenters/

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
      No. It's also not illegal to take a student loan, or use medicare, or need food stamps. The issue isn't that taking help is wrong or bad. It's that it's classified as perfectly acceptable when Mitt Romney does it, but freeloading when other people do it.

If somebody comes to your house and contributes $5 for beer and then drinks $10 worth would you put them in the same category as the guy who contributes $15 and drinks $10 worth? Whatever you want to call each of them, they aren't the same.

Now, as host of the party, you should feel responsible for both of them while in your house and driving home. Wouldn't be real smart to go around saying you don't care if the first guy crashes on the way home. Especially on camera.
      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
        If somebody comes to your house and contributes $5 for beer and then drinks $10 worth would you put them in the same category as the guy who contributes $15 and drinks $10 worth? Whatever you want to call each of them, they aren't the same.
        Holy BS analogies Batman!!!!
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Why is Mittens Romney allowed to take advantage of off shore tax havens to lower what's due to the IRS while the rest of us who couldn't get our phone calls returned from said offshore tax havens have to shell out even more of our hard earned dollars on a % basis? I mean, I go to work every day and earn my salary. Romney hasn't had a full time job since 2006....
          Why shouldn't he if its legal?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Why shouldn't he if its legal?
            I'm conceding that he should. I however take umbrage to him complaining about anyone else taking advantage of the tax law as he does.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Holy BS analogies Batman!!!!
              what part is BS?

Somehow those more intelligent than me had turned the discussion into "if anybody utilizes any tax code benefit that is the same as paying no net income taxes".

I'm not sure how it got twisted that way, but my example is accurate in its depiction of the real question. Whether someone chooses to say the first person is the problem or the second person is the problem, well, I'm not getting into that on a Friday afternoon.
              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

what part is BS?

Somehow those more intelligent than me had turned the discussion into "if anybody utilizes any tax code benefit that is the same as paying no net income taxes".

I'm not sure how it got twisted that way, but my example is accurate in its depiction of the real question. Whether someone chooses to say the first person is the problem or the second person is the problem, well, I'm not getting into that on a Friday afternoon.
                No, it's not. People paying zero net taxes are using the same tax code Mitt Romney is.

Comment

No, it's not. People paying zero net taxes are using the same tax code Mitt Romney is.
                  That wasn't even the question. The question was is a person who pays $3mm in net taxes a freeloader because he took deductions? That isn't the same scenario as someone who pays no net taxes.

Assuming they are all in the same country, it is reasonable to assume they use the same tax code.

Comment

That wasn't even the question. The question was is a person who pays $3mm in net taxes a freeloader because he took deductions? That isn't the same scenario as someone who pays no net taxes.

Assuming they are all in the same country, it is reasonable to assume they use the same tax code.
                    He is if he accuses the 47% who pay net 0 income taxes of the same thing.

Comment

He is if he accuses the 47% who pay net 0 income taxes of the same thing.
                      No, he could be a hypocrite; he could be stupid if he is running for president and says that etc.

But he still paid millions more than he claimed in deductions...he bought a keg and had a few beers (I know you love that analogy).

Wasn't it you that coined the "simple math" saying...I dare say it applies here.

Comment

No, he could be a hypocrite; he could be stupid if he is running for president and says that etc.

But he still paid millions more than he claimed in deductions...he bought a keg and had a few beers (I know you love that analogy).

Wasn't it you that coined the "simple math" saying...I dare say it applies here.
                        I dare say I disagree. He's getting more bang for his dollar from the tax code than ANY of the folks who are making less than 50K a year and netting 0 in income taxes. By a LONG LONG way.

Comment

Politics can be hilarious. Liberals came down on "Mitt" Romney like a ton of bricks today for paying TOO MUCH in taxes.
                          overpaying his taxes clearly does violate a clear commitment he made in an ABC interview among other places
                          Poor guy has got to be wondering by now what he could possibly do to win favor. (hint: with the media, absolutely nothing as long as you're threatening Barry's job)

It reminds me somewhat of when Dole ran. He was completely vilified by the media, savaged as being insane, senile, evil, worse than Hitler, etc. etc., day after day until the election was over. Suddenly when he was no longer a threat he became a kind, generous, even a good humored man in the press.
                          Last edited by geezer; 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I dare say I disagree. He's getting more bang for his dollar from the tax code than ANY of the folks who are making less than 50K a year and netting 0 in income taxes. By a LONG LONG way.

Careful there, the argument is about percentages if you are in your camp. As in, he paid a lower net effective rate. He also paid for 282 children of net zero families to send their kid to public school so the total dollars angle isn't as strong for the "It's UNFAIR!1!!!" claim.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              Politics can be hilarious. Liberals came down on "Mitt" Romney like a ton of bricks today for paying TOO MUCH in taxes.
                              Poor guy has got to be wondering by now what he could possibly do to win favor. (hint: with the media, absolutely nothing as long as you're threatening Barry's job)

It reminds me somewhat of when Dole ran. He was completely vilified by the media, savaged as being insane, senile, evil, worse than Hitler, etc. etc., day after day until the election was over. Suddenly when he was no longer a threat he became a kind, generous, even a good humored man in the press.
                              He did violate his promise. If he gave a clear reflection of his tax bill it might give the electorate the push it needs to actually demand some much needed changes. I doubt it though. We can't tax rich people. They do nothing but work all day and create jobs for the serfs.

Careful there, the argument is about percentages if you are in your camp. As in, he paid a lower net effective rate. He also paid for 282 children of net zero families to send their kid to public school so the total dollars angle isn't as strong for the "It's UNFAIR!1!!!" claim.
                              I don't care how many kids he paid for. His net benefit was larger. By an exponent.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post

And yet, it's still $1,920,000 than the most anyone who makes Barry Davis's favourite number will pay. This nickname is a tribute to Frank Marshall Davis.

Comment

Working...
                                X