Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

So am I to take the unwillingness of our righty friends to address the fact that wealthy people take tax cuts and invest it overseas as a concession that this indeed happens and therefore top level tax cuts along the lines of Romney-Ryan proposal are useless for stimulating the American economy? They might do wonders for the Chinese economy but that's not the focus of the discussion here.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      You're clueless. 51% means nothing in the Senate.
      True. Nothing is happening there. Maybe a different majority leader would help.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        True. Nothing is happening there. Maybe a different majority leader would help.
        With Mitch on the other side? I don't think so.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          With Mitch on the other side? I don't think so.
          Should the Dems keep Harry?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I don't know what you do with Harry. Based on merit I'd have to say Harry has to go cause he's got nothing done. That being said you could have the greatest Senate leader of all time in there and he couldn't get anything done with Mitch on the other side.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              F U C K NO! They need to pawn him off on Appropriations or something (that's what Byrd did - leave SML post to control fed bucks instead, although Byrd was the last truly effective Dem Senate leader). Put Schumer in charge. Reid doesn't understand he has a partisan in nature job and his duty is the move the Prez' agenda not make nice with people looking to stab him in the back. He may even be more ineffective than Daschle, and I never thought I'd say that about anybody.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                So am I to take the unwillingness of our righty friends to address the "fact" that wealthy people take tax cuts and invest it overseas as a concession that this indeed happens and therefore top level tax cuts along the lines of Romney-Ryan proposal are useless for stimulating the American economy?
                That's not a "fact" that's your opinion.

No one is proposing tax cuts in the first place: the proposal is tax reform.

No one pays high tax rates because Congress (both parties) inserts loopholes and deductions (Chuch Schumer is one of the biggest defenders of carried interest, for example; he knows tax revenues from Wall St. and Manhattan-based hedge funds are the only thing keeping NY state afloat and he doesn't want those people leaving).

An income tax code with high marginal rates yet plenty of special-interest targeted deductions is economically inefficient. A revenue-neutral tax reform replaces that with apparently lower marginal rates and few to no loopholes and deductions. The goal is two-fold: revenue-neutral in the short run while promoting more economic growth in the long run from a better allocation of resources as a result of more accurate signals from the market: peoples' decisions are not based on tax effects, merely on what works.

If you are going to invent "facts" that don't even exist and then argue against them, you'll always win. I guess you get a big thrill out of that.

I thought that the goal of politics was to make peoples' lives better? Parties would actually stand for something other than merely retaining office and paying off their supporters with government money? (again, both parties do this; corporate welfare is alive and thriving on both sides of the aisle).

You somehow confuse making government more efficient and effective with partisanship. While there may be some overlap, they definitely are not the same thing at all.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  The number of people renouncing US citizenship to move abroad has steadily been increasing over the past several years.....
                  We accept your offer.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The number of people renouncing US citizenship to move abroad has steadily been increasing over the past several years.....
                    Oh, the comedy.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      That's not a "fact" that's your opinion.

No one is proposing tax cuts in the first place: the proposal is tax reform.

No one pays high tax rates because Congress (both parties) inserts loopholes and deductions (Chuch Schumer is one of the biggest defenders of carried interest, for example; he knows tax revenues from Wall St. and Manhattan-based hedge funds are the only thing keeping NY state afloat and he doesn't want those people leaving).

An income tax code with high marginal rates yet plenty of special-interest targeted deductions is economically inefficient. A revenue-neutral tax reform replaces that with apparently lower marginal rates and few to no loopholes and deductions. The goal is two-fold: revenue-neutral in the short run while promoting more economic growth in the long run from a better allocation of resources as a result of more accurate signals from the market: peoples' decisions are not based on tax effects, merely on what works.

If you are going to invent "facts" that don't even exist and then argue against them, you'll always win. I guess you get a big thrill out of that.

I thought that the goal of politics was to make peoples' lives better? Parties would actually stand for something other than merely retaining office and paying off their supporters with government money? (again, both parties do this; corporate welfare is alive and thriving on both sides of the aisle).

You somehow confuse making government more efficient and effective with partisanship. While there may be some overlap, they definitely are not the same thing at all.
                      The problem you have Fishy is too often "tax reform" is a code for "stick it to the middle class while cutting taxes for big GOP campaign contributors". Case in point, Sheldon Alderson. People have wondered why he's willing to blow 100M bucks on Romney's campaign. A analysis of Romney's tax plans speculates (as Romney hasn't filled in the details) that Alderson would save a lot more money than that in taxes if Romney's plans are enacted. This is a worthwhile investment then. However, those who rely on the EIC or mortgage or student loan deductions take it in the shorts. Its the same as a flat tax, which is a fancy way of saying "raise taxes on everybody BUT the top tier and disguse it as fairness". So, nobody gives a rat's arse about your proposals Fishy. Your party on the other hand (and spare us the I'm not a GOP shill schtick) only tends to propose tax reform that seems to benefit one group over all others.

Comment

Romney now supports the 100% in America. Unfortunately his policies only support the top 1%.

MIAMI — Facing tough questions about his commitment to all Americans, Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney declared Wednesday that his campaign supports "the 100 percent in America."
                        http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...cid=hero_media

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          We accept your offer.
                          Somehow, I suspect that if everyone else were exactly like you, you'd find the rest of humanity insufferably smug.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            too often "tax reform" is a code for "stick it to the middle class while cutting taxes for big GOP campaign contributors".
                            so now you are having paranoid conspiracy theories, eh? That really explains a lot.

No wonder you only take things said by left wing supporters at face value, everything said by people on the right is a "code" to you!

Some people describe that as "hearing voices," you know....

Comment

(something else slavishly transcribed from Red State)
                              Go, Fish.
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Romney has finally been given his perfect nickname.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 09-20-2012, 11:32 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X