Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    people who have saved money all their lives hoping to live off interest income are not getting any interest!
    Guess they should've diversified their portfolio?

Don't you think raising interest rates now would just make things worse, since it would make businesses and individuals less likely to borrow?

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Guess they should've diversified their portfolio?

Don't you think raising interest rates now would just make things worse, since it would make businesses and individuals less likely to borrow?
      Obviously that's how the supply/demand works, and if you raise it up too high, yes. At this point, obviously businesses and individuals want to borrow, but nobody wants to provide the capital to lend because there's no potential to make any money from that usage. The Laffer parabola can also be applied to bonds, as there's a maximization point. In 2005, we had the FFR around 5%, and people were willing to lend. Bonds were REALLY big in the late 70's and early 80's because you saw double digit rates.

Today, companies are making stock offerings to gain capital, because they are paying healthy returns there (in many cases above the inflation rate), and so people are more willing to invest.

Your first sentence is, without a doubt, correct. A diversified portfolio is a great way to hedge the risk you run in making money, even on dividends and bond payments.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        At this point, obviously businesses and individuals want to borrow, but nobody wants to provide the capital to lend because there's no potential to make any money from that usage.
        You do realize there's nothing preventing them from attempting to lend money at higher rates, right? Presuming your position is correct, we'd merely see non-government loans being offered at a higher spread from U.S. bonds.

Since that hasn't happened, I think you need to rework your model.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          You do realize there's nothing preventing them from attempting to lend money at higher rates, right? Presuming your position is correct, we'd merely see non-government loans being offered at a higher spread from U.S. bonds.

Since that hasn't happened, I think you need to rework your model.
          If I can get money for 1% and lend it out at 4%, I'm doing OK. The flip side, though, is I want my money to be paid back. There is too much uncertainty in the economy right now to make lending a sure thing (Solyndra, 38 Studios, etc.).

The task for the person who takes the oath on 1/20/13 (1/21/13???) will be to restore optimism in the economy.

Good luck!
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            If I can get money for 1% and lend it out at 4%, I'm doing OK. The flip side, though, is I want my money to be paid back. There is too much uncertainty in the economy right now to make lending a sure thing (Solyndra, 38 Studios, etc.).
            That's not what he said, though. He said the absolute rates were too low to encourage lending. There's nothing preventing people from offering money at higher rates (other than the borrowers not wanting to pay the higher interest).

Comment

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...hes-snooki-fan

Nail. Coffin.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Whywouldyousaythat.jpg
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Broken image...?
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No, just too lazy to get one.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      LOL. Snooki is probably his image of what everybody outside his immediate circle is like. This was "outreach."
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The worst part was when asked about what he wears to bed and he responded with, "As little as possible."
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Never let facts interfere with prejudice, eh?

Bobby Jindal, Susannah Martinez, Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Artur Davis, Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell.....
                          That is to say the speakers at the RNC.

But the audience was a whiter shade of pale.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            What's so bad about this? Jersey Shore is an adult entertainment program, Mitt Romney is an adult the last time I checked, and he probably thinks the character is funny. Once again, the literary left cannot put a disconnect between fact and fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              What's so bad about this? Jersey Shore is an adult entertainment program, Mitt Romney is an adult the last time I checked, and he probably thinks the character is funny. Once again, the literary left cannot put a disconnect between fact and fiction.
                              So RMoney likes Jersey Shore and his hick running mate listns to Rage Against the Machine because he's too stupid to understand the band's message. These are prime picks for the leaders of the free world.
                              1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

About the only way Obama loses is if this turns into a Carter turning point. I think its more likely a passing moment...but this isn't over yet.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X