Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I get that. But where is the point of diminishing returns?

At some point, the "anybody" is incompetent and this is a fairly important job we're talking about here.
    Yet, look how people voted in 2008: Anybody but Bush. Sure, Dubya was ineligible to run because had served twice, but they were sick of the GOP, so they elected someone that no one knew about with a past no one knew since the story constantly changed, only because he didn't have that evil "R" next to his name. Don't think it's just one party that does silly stuff like that.

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Yet, look how people voted in 2008: Anybody but Bush. Sure, Dubya was ineligible to run because had served twice, but they were sick of the GOP, so they elected someone that no one knew about with a past no one knew since the story constantly changed, only because he didn't have that evil "R" next to his name. Don't think it's just one party that does silly stuff like that.
      Not quite. Obama was an up and comer that most who were paying attention knew of and had high hopes for several years prior. I think many thought that he'd wait until the next election - if Hilary lost - but we all knew about him.

McCain lost because he was a bad choice and picked a circus clown for a running mate.

And before you go there, Biden > Palin.

Comment

Obama compares murdered American officials in Libya to campaign volunteers

This was very unseemly. Not a word from the MSM on this. Does anyone believe that they wouldn't be all over this if Romney had said it?
        "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
          Obama compares murdered American officials in Libya to campaign volunteers

This was very unseemly. Not a word from the MSM on this. Does anyone believe that they wouldn't be all over this if Romney had said it?
          'The sacrifices that our troops and our diplomats make are obviously very different from the challenges that we face here domestically but, like them, you guys are Americans who sense that we can do better than we’re doing….I’m just really proud of you.'

Nice try...

Comment

Nice try...
            *****http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/198/2/e/derps_gonna_derp_by_boneville64-d3zfwb7.jpg******
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I get that. But where is the point of diminishing returns?

At some point, the "anybody" is incompetent and this is a fairly important job we're talking about here.
              I'm guessing that there are probably a pretty large number of people in every election who vote for their party's candidate even though they personally think the other guy would do a better job. If I'm a life-long Republican who thinks Romney is a putz, why would I bother to vote for Obama at this point, since it's pretty clear he's going to win anyway? Better to send the message to remind Obama that there are still a lot of people out here with conservative values so that he doesn't go around claiming "MANDATE!" My vote carries no danger of getting Romney elected, so the putz won't get a sniff of the Oval Office anyway.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

'The sacrifices that our troops and our diplomats make are obviously very different from the challenges that we face here domestically but, like them, you guys are Americans who sense that we can do better than we’re doing….I’m just really proud of you.'

Nice try...
                I knew the full quote, and it just doesn't sit right with me.
                "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  I'm guessing that there are probably a pretty large number of people in every election who vote for their party's candidate even though they personally think the other guy would do a better job.
                  I would bet the vast majority of people honestly believe the guy they agree with is also more competent... "after all, he agrees with me"!
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
                    I knew the full quote, and it just doesn't sit right with me.
                    I would say that your comprehension is off then. You're reading something into it that isn't there. Maybe you really, REALLY want that something to be there, but it's not.

That said, it not sitting well with you personally is far different than implying that the media not flipping out about it is evidence of bias. Pretty big leap there.

Comment

Not quite. Obama was an up and comer that most who were paying attention knew of and had high hopes for several years prior. I think many thought that he'd wait until the next election - if Hilary lost - but we all knew about him.

McCain lost because he was a bad choice and picked a circus clown for a running mate.

And before you go there, Biden > Palin.
                      An up and comer consistently votes "present" in the State Senate, and then does nothing but caucus with one side in the U.S. Senate, coming up with nothing innovative on his own. You have to do better than that.

I'll give you, though, that McCain was an awful choice. I was pro-Romney in 2008 on account of executive experience.

Comment

I would say that your comprehension is off then. You're reading something into it that isn't there. Maybe you really, REALLY want that something to be there, but it's not.

That said, it not sitting well with you personally is far different than implying that the media not flipping out about it is evidence of bias. Pretty big leap there.
                        MinnFan just emerged from his bunker after three months thinking he'd see Mittens with a 20 point lead by now. Cut him some slack while he re-adjusts to reality.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          I'm guessing that there are probably a pretty large number of people in every election who vote for their party's candidate even though they personally think the other guy would do a better job. If I'm a life-long Republican who thinks Romney is a putz, why would I bother to vote for Obama at this point, since it's pretty clear he's going to win anyway? Better to send the message to remind Obama that there are still a lot of people out here with conservative values so that he doesn't go around claiming "MANDATE!" My vote carries no danger of getting Romney elected, so the putz won't get a sniff of the Oval Office anyway.
                          Shouldn't you also be sending a message to your own party to put up a better candidate? There are useful things that can be accomplished with third party votes even when the third party is only going to get a few percentage points of the popular vote.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Looks like Romney made a substantial tactical error by saying that he wouldn't reappoint Bernanke to the Federal Reserve Board. Now Bernanke is out to save his job by continuing this absusrd monetary policy. Some people are worried about the inflation potential down the road; however the low interest rate policy is doing tremendous damage right now because people who have saved money all their lives hoping to live off interest income are not getting any interest!

Where is Arthur Burns Jr when we need him?
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Correct.

The all-whiteness of the Republican party.
                              Never let facts interfere with prejudice, eh?

Bobby Jindal, Susannah Martinez, Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Artur Davis, Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell.....

Minority candidates actually seem to poll better when they run as Republicans because they run on their merits as a candidate; their race / ethnicity / gender don't matter. For the Democrats, all you see is the race; they win their protected district and rarely go much further than that.

meanwhile, the party of Fluke, Warren, Clinton, Frank, Pelosi, Reid, Kennedy is so racially diverse? Man you have weird tinted lenses on your eyeglasses.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                Never let facts interfere with prejudice, eh?

Bobby Jindal, Susannah Martinez, Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Artur Davis, Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell.....

Minority candidates actually seem to poll better when they run as Republicans because they run on their merits as a candidate; their race / ethnicity / gender don't matter. For the Democrats, all you see is the race; they win their protected district and rarely go much further than that.

meanwhile, the party of Fluke, Warren, Clinton, Frank, Pelosi, Reid, Kennedy is so racially diverse? Man you have weird tinted lenses on your eyeglasses.
                                Not to mention... didn't Breckenridge run as a Democrat?

Comment

Working...
                                X