Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Kep there's no "taking the bait" consideration here. Either Romney wins Florida or he has no prayer of getting elected. He doesn't have the luxury of faking a Florida play merely to draw Obama cash there.
    I'm suggesting the opposite. Romney has money to burn, so he starts out by pushing big in FL. If the Dems match him dollar-for-dollar then he can bankrupt them. If the Dems concede FL then the race is on.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/09...d-narrows.html
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

No Wisconsin? That's bizarre. We now have neither campaign spending in a state that's polling within the margin of error. That has probably never happened before.

I wonder if they have internal polling that shows the strong presence of Mormons in NV and CO will push those states.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          ?

Works for me?

Code:
          Gallup Poll. Rolling average. N=approx. 1,500 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling his job as president?"

Approve 	Disapprove 	Margin
          9/4-6/12  	52 	 	43  	 	+9
          9/3-5/12  	49 	 	45  	 	+4
          9/2-4/12  	47 	 	47  	 	even
          9/1-3/12  	45 	 	48  	 	-3
          OK, I get it. Excuse my lack of math.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

That's code for Romney's going to win.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
              OK, I get it. Excuse my lack of math.
              LOL. It happens to us all.
              Cornell University

Comment

But Kepler that strategy (attrition) only works if the Dems believe that Florida will be in play because Romney is pouring cash in down there. Last I checked no one is sniffing glue on Obama's side.

Of course if Romney thinks he can win this like he won the nomination (sit back and let the Derp kill itself) he will get smoked in November.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  But Kepler that strategy (attrition) only works if the Dems believe that Florida will be in play because Romney is pouring cash in down there. Last I checked no one is sniffing glue on Obama's side.
                  Reason #451 why Dems are glad Hillary didn't win. The Obama campaign team is so pragmatic that it seems like... a Republican campaign team.

Actually the whole campaign is so Opposite Day 2004 it's becoming surreal. Vulnerable incumbent lucks into weakest possible challenger who then squanders his veep choice and convention and will STILL be within striking distance. Meanwhile, incumbent runs workmanlike campaign and challenger plays circular firing squad.

If you're under 30 you might even believe liberals are competent at politics. I assure you -- we are not.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Yawn.

BAIER: To hear several speakers in Charlotte … they were essentially saying that you don’t care about the U.S. military because you didn’t mention U.S. troops and the war in Afghanistan in your nomination acceptance speech. … Do you regret opening up this line of attack, now a recurring attack, by leaving out that issue in the speech.

ROMNEY: I only regret you’re repeating it day in and day out. When you give a speech you don’t go through a laundry list, you talk about the things that you think are important and I described in my speech, my commitment to a strong military unlike the president’s decision to cut our military. And I didn’t use the word troops, I used the word military. I think they refer to the same thing.
                    Well done, Mitt.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Of course if Romney thinks he can win this like he won the nomination (sit back and let the Derp kill itself) he will get smoked in November.
                      It shouldn't even be close but 4 dollar gas and 2 more job reports.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        It shouldn't even be close but 4 dollar gas and 2 more job reports.
                        This year is the movable object vs. the resistable force.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I despise Hillary Clinton and yet I have to admit she's done a competent job as Secretary of State. Not "great" or "very good", but competent given the situation. I recall that a few years back, even eternally-scowling, corrupt Cheney admitted that she (paraphrased) "is the smartest person in that administration" (no, I don't have a confirmed source, despite my brief Google efforts). That said, I don't think she would be faring much better than Obama if she had been the nominee & eventually winner.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I despise Hillary Clinton and yet I have to admit she's done a competent job as Secretary of State. Not "great" or "very good", but competent given the situation. I recall that a few years back, even eternally-scowling, corrupt Cheney admitted that she (paraphrased) "is the smartest person in that administration" (no, I don't have a confirmed source, despite my brief Google efforts). That said, I don't think she would be faring much better than Obama if she had been the nominee & eventually winner.
                            I don't despise her. But her world class hypocrisy on her baseball affiliation sticks in my craw. For years, in many places and under many circumstances (including with Harry Carey) she repeatedly declared she was a Cubs fan. Then she decided to parachute in to New York to run for the senate and she suddenly became a Yankee fan.

Remember the scene at the end of the remake of "The Taking of Pelham 123" where Denzel asks the mayor, played by James Gandolfini, if he's a Yankee fan. Without thinking, the mayor replies "no." Then quickly amends the statement by saying "of course."

The making of a 100K profit in just a few days in the arcane world of futures trading, after she'd "read an article in the Wall Street Journal is bad enough. But claiming she was named after Sir Edmund Hillary even before he climbed Mt. Everest (shows great prescience on the part of her parents, no? ) is the capper. Under those circumstances, maybe her parents should have named her "Tenzing."
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 09-07-2012, 05:31 PM.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I have to respectfully disagree. Obama neglected the economy; his "legacy" was more important. He wasted the stimulus (there is a huge difference between concept and execution; even if you think the stimulus in theory was a good idea, the way they implemented it was atrocious); when the economy should have been the number one priority he sucked up all the nation's energy into an enervating divisive debate on healthcare that is still a huge anchor weighing down the recovery (again, whatever you think of the concept, the actual execution sucked bigtime).

Hillary seems more mature than Barack, who comes across more as an overgrown adolescent than a credible mature man (he gets so peevish; it's unbecoming). My guess is that she would have had the discipline to prioritze properly.

If you talk to business owners instead of talking to political poseurs and pollsters, you'd realize that increasing costs are a huge concern, and Obama has either implemented cost increases or has advocated stridently in favor of them. you can tell me he was well-intentioned and I won't argue; however it does seem to me that his priorities were (and still are) off-kilter. Whether he intends it or not, his agenda is anti-business (unless you run a green energy company!) and he doesn't even seem to realize it. Yet he wonders why the economy is so anemic. Hillary definitely would know better.

By the way, so does Bill. He knows that the reason he ran a budget surplus was because the Republican Congress forced him to restrain spending, and also because prior administration tax reform allowed for tremendous capital investment in the economy; the government was awash in tax dollars from the innovation and productivity unleashed by reduced taxes on capital. Yet Clinton did not complain about an obstructionist Congress; instead he accomplished several very significant milestones instead. Watching Bill Clinton, you could see Obama shrink in stature by the moment.
                              Last edited by FreshFish; 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

She would have had Bill to give her advice, that would have at least counted for something.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X