Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vacante

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Go back to using Disney flicks to give you your political ideals you were more interesting that way
    no no. that's the Bambi-loving environmentalists. The Republicans are the Ayn Rand ones.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Re: 2012 Presidential Election Part II -- Charlotte, a National Treasure or sede vaca

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I think you're fooling yourself into your complaints about "paying for it", because it is not a SHORT TERM way to pay for it. The budget deficits between FY 2002 and FY 2007 were approximately the same in nominal terms. If you would like to consider inflation, then the real deficit in 2007 was less than 2002.

There are two ways to attempt to increase revenue, both short term and long term. The short term is your suggestion in raising taxes regardless of present situation. Sure, the nominal amount for each individual and business goes up, but there's no guarantee that that number will remain high the next year. How is that possible? Well, for individuals, they could re-neg the source of income gain and turn to cash. The easiest way to see this is dividends and capital gains; all they have to do is sell and hang onto the cash.

The long term is adjusting tax rates to the vertex of the Laffer parabola. If you go in the correct direction, you will gain more in aggregate tax money because either more people are willing to get in with a lower rate that they'd have to pay, or you truly are gaining more in revenue by going the other direction. If your present point on the parabola is to the left of the vertex (assuming tax rate increases along the x-axis), then yes, raising taxes would be a smart thing. I don't think we're there, though, which is why you see fiscal conservatives (GOP and Libertarian) calling for decreases in tax rates. If you play around with property tax rates on Sim City, it's the same thing. Sure, it's a video game, but a pretty decent representation of a person's reaction to tax rates.

There is something that does need to be changed if we want to grow the economy, though, but it isn't something that a President can directly control, nor can he indirectly control until 2014.
      You may be right, but lets not pretend Paul Ryan cared about any of that ok...can we avoid that bs? He voted strict party line so he could move up. If Obama put forth the exact same ideas Ryan would have said no before the sentence was out of his mouth but since it was Dubya he couldnt sign on the dotted line fast enough. He is a political shill who cares only about his own future and then waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back of his mind he might give two craps about what is best for everyone else.

BTW there is nothing wrong with that, except that he has been running around for months talking about how he is going to fix the problems (which he then flip flopped on because they contradicted RomBots) and how trustworthy he is. You set yourself up like that you are going to get pimpslapped by it. Just admit you voted with the President because he was in your party...own it no one will care. Pretending it didnt happen then lying about it isnt helping anyone.

And before you say it, the Dems are just as bad. I have never been a Dem and I never will be. Just because their corruption is different doesnt make it better.

My vote doesnt count anyways, so I am writing in El Guapo from Three Amigos

*****http://www.shirtaday.com/pastShirts/EL_GUAPO_INTERESTING.jpg******

I am sure that his runningmate Jefe will blunder, but he cant be worse than Biden
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        no no. that's the Bambi-loving environmentalists. The Republicans are the Ayn Rand ones.
        I know...but Fishy wrote a dissertation a few weeks back about how that stupid Disney movie from like 1934 about an ant was really some deeply veiled economic policy and how it shaped his beliefs. I mocked him quite a bit for it

Otherwise you are right...maybe that is why Fishy says he is a "liberal"
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I know...but Fishy wrote a dissertation a few weeks back about how that stupid Disney movie from like 1934 about an ant was really some deeply veiled economic policy and how it shaped his beliefs. I mocked him quite a bit for it
          We've actually talked about the "Ant and the Grasshopper" long before the RNC Typist showed up. It has an interesting history and was intended as a cautionary tale both about profligates and misers. The idea was that even in the most ridiculous possible case -- the bad grasshopper plays all day while the good ant works hard to store up food -- if the ant with extra food denies it to the grasshopper who is starving, then the ant is the more morally reprehensible.

(And of course that is not what happens. As a general rule, the grasshoppers among us are the trust fund kids.)
          Last edited by Kepler; 09-06-2012, 01:24 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You may be right, but lets not pretend Paul Ryan cared about any of that ok...can we avoid that bs? He voted strict party line so he could move up. If Obama put forth the exact same ideas Ryan would have said no before the sentence was out of his mouth but since it was Dubya he couldnt sign on the dotted line fast enough. He is a political shill who cares only about his own future and then waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back of his mind he might give two craps about what is best for everyone else.

BTW there is nothing wrong with that, except that he has been running around for months talking about how he is going to fix the problems (which he then flip flopped on because they contradicted RomBots) and how trustworthy he is. You set yourself up like that you are going to get pimpslapped by it. Just admit you voted with the President because he was in your party...own it no one will care. Pretending it didnt happen then lying about it isnt helping anyone.

And before you say it, the Dems are just as bad. I have never been a Dem and I never will be. Just because their corruption is different doesnt make it better.

My vote doesnt count anyways, so I am writing in El Guapo from Three Amigos

*****http://www.shirtaday.com/pastShirts/EL_GUAPO_INTERESTING.jpg******

I am sure that his runningmate Jefe will blunder, but he cant be worse than Biden
            I don't see how I am setting myself up for anything, unless you're still under the impression that, because of my views on certain things, I'm a RomBot that's looking to go GOP. I've already stated that my vote goes to a third party because of the GOP's stance on using fascism to push their beliefs. Or were you using "you" to signify Mr. Ryan?

OK, El Guapo, that's a good one.

Comment

I didnt mean you as in you...in that sentence I was talking about Ryan. I know you are going third party
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I didnt mean you as in you...in that sentence I was talking about Ryan. I know you are going third party
                I had to read it again, but then I got it. El Guapo's still quite the choice. However, if you REALLY wanted to do a write-in, and you're at least 35 years of age, I'd think you would write yourself in.

Comment

I am not or I would. Plus I dont want my transcripts scrutinized
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The sharpest contrast between the parties right now is how proud they are of their past.

Comment

Originally posted by sagard View Post
                      The sharpest contrast between the parties right now is how proud they are of their past.
                      Exact reversal of the 84-91 period. The GOP still has a little ways to go before it hits rock bottom, but they're almost there.

*****http://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/images/pop_3a.gif******
                      Last edited by Kepler; 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I am not or I would. Plus I dont want my transcripts scrutinized
                        Not to mention, the whole western world gets a look at your birth certificate.

Comment

Vladimir Putin endorses Obama.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            A commie endorses a commie... let us know when there's actual news available.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              That's like the Yankees endorsing the Red Sox. C'mon, we know who the big dog is!
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                What is wrong with the Laffer curve, in terms of actual money raised and people's willingness to pay it? This question is not rhetorical.
                                As a theoretical model, nothing. But in actual application, everything. Because the only way it works the way you think it works is if we're on the wrong side of the curve. Which if we still had 90% marginal rates on top, might be a legitimate belief. With 35% marginal rates and all sorts of tax breaks to drive that down further, no reasonable person can say we're on the wrong side of the curve. This is especially true of the 15% rate for capital gains.

Comment

Working...
                                X