Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Wow...I gotta hear what part of your *** you pulled this one out of.
    By not doing what Israel wants, we are clearly declaring war on them.

Seriously the most dysfunctional relationship between a supposed superpower and a client state. I'm trying to imagine a situation where a nation state of 20k miles and 8 million inhabitants dictated to Moscow, and it's not happening.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Wow...I gotta hear what part of your *** you pulled this one out of.

Beat me to it, but I'd also like to hear this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        But the point is that if you cover birth control under insurance, you save money by having fewer pregnancies.

Wanting to have sex with my wife without having kids makes me promiscuous?

Nice try, but no.
        Didn't say it in that context.
        When one plays the field there's an increased risk of STD's, and out of wedlock pregnancies that increase the cost of health care. Monogamy keeps the costs down and is better for society as a whole.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Monogamy keeps the costs down and is better for society as a whole.
          Awesome. Let's abolish Birth Control and get everybody on board with this monagamy thing. That'll work.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            What you saw was one convention of a party presently in power, and one convention of a party not in power.

A minority party has a couple of choices. You can go along with being a minority party, achieving small victories here and there, trying to force a compromise from the majority by offering "bipartisan" support in exchange for shaving the sharper edges off of the more unpopular legislation. This is how the general public would probably prefer that the party out of power act, and at various times in our history we've actually seen that occur. The problem, from the minority party standpoint is it can lead to a sense that the legislative branch is actually accomplishing something, and lead to perpetual minority status.

A second option for a minority party is to obstruct. You say the sun comes up in the east, I say it comes up in the west. Whatever you want, I don't want. Thwart the agenda of the executive branch at every turn. As a result, not a lot gets done (not necessarily a terrible outcome), or legislation gets rammed through and then the other party just does everything they can to badmouth it, obstruct it, overturn it, or at a minimum, run against it in the next election.

The Republicans have chosen option 2. Anyone who thinks they're the first and only party to have adopted this tactic is being a bit naive.

When a party takes that approach, politics takes on what looks like a particularily vicious tone, and it appears that one party is offering "solutions" and the other party is offering "attacks." But it's just politics, and that's why politics is a bunch of bs.

Actually, if you examine the historical record, you will notice that the House Republicans came to Obama right after the election in a spirit of compromise and offered some suggestions on things they would do to help turn the economy around. Obama replied, "elections have consequences, and we won." [I'll try to track down a link later on to a "neutral" source; it's definitely there in the record though.]

Similarly, in 2011, Boehner offered a tax increase as part of a budget compromise, and Obama refused because it wasn't big enough. So you can call the Republicans a party of obstruction; they have done plenty of that. Just don't try to make it sound only one way. Obama had his chances to make deals with them and he declined.

That doesn't even begin to speak to the Senate's obstructionism! The House passes bills yet Harry Reid prevents a vote on those bills. The Senate doesn't even vote them down; it refuses to bring them forward for a vote either way.

Same thing with the DREAM Act. Marco Rubio was working on legislation similar in content and was ready to propose it and then Obama issued his administrative order.

Finally, I notice that several pieces of important legislation have been passed and have been signed into law. there was an excellent piece of technical adjustment to pension legislation that was a very sensible practical improvement that just became law recently. It's not like nothing whatsoever is being done, it merely isn't newsworthy. Unemployment benefits were extended, there was a temporary reduction in employee share of the payroll tax...Obama asked for these two items and he got them.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Interesting take from flaming ******* Joe Scarborough...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...910.html?hp=r2

Pretty bad when your own fellow cons are saying you got croaked by your opponent's convention.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                Interesting take from flaming ******* Joe Scarborough...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...910.html?hp=r2

Pretty bad when your own fellow cons are saying you got croaked by your opponent's convention.

I'm not surprised by this. Scarborough is typically reasonable and he's just calling it like it happened.

He's never been a Hannity or Rush - meaning he's not part of the propaganda arm of the GOP.

The GOP convention was a downer and a dud.

Comment

Didn't say it in that context.
                  When one plays the field there's an increased risk of STD's, and out of wedlock pregnancies that increase the cost of health care. Monogamy keeps the costs down and is better for society as a whole.
                  So many females in your village, Baboon... why you only pick one?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Awesome. Let's abolish Birth Control and get everybody on board with this monagamy thing. That'll work.
                    Who in the hell is saying ANYTHING about abolishing birth control?!

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      By not doing what Israel wants, we are clearly declaring war on them.

Seriously the most dysfunctional relationship between a supposed superpower and a client state. I'm trying to imagine a situation where a nation state of 20k miles and 8 million inhabitants dictated to Moscow, and it's not happening.
                      It would happen if Cubans owned half of Moscow.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Who in the hell is saying ANYTHING about abolishing birth control?!
                        No one...so can we get back to your assertion that a certain party/candidate wants to go to war with Israel? I am not about to let you dodge that piece of verbal diarrhea
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Given that teenage humans have been screwing recklessly for the last million years and will go on doing so for the next million years no matter what we dried-up old folks think, it might also be good to have a back-up plan, like great birth control and great "prophylactic" measures (the point of which at first was as much to protect against disease as pregnancy).

Spreading ignorance, fear and mystification of sex is no more reasonable an answer to the problems associated with sex than spreading ignorance, fear and mystification of guns is to the problems associated with guns.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No one...so can we get back to your assertion that a certain party/candidate wants to go to war with Israel? I am not about to let you dodge that piece of verbal diarrhea
                            Why wasn't Chuck Schumer invited to the DNC? Why are we consistently bailing out the Arabs? Why was there resistance to include in the Democrats' position noting Jerusalem as the capital of Israel?

Comment

No one...
                              ...except, at the very least, the person I quoted. Not to mention at least half of the women trying to argue about those arguing against that particular mandate.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Why wasn't Chuck Schumer invited to the DNC? Why are we consistently bailing out the Arabs? Why was there resistance to include in the Democrats' position noting Jerusalem as the capital of Israel?
                                That is your evidence that the Dems are going to war with Israel? You do realize Jews make up a rather large portion of the Dem constituency dont you? (including major money benefactors oh and CANDIDATES)

There is a better chance my El Guapo/Jefe ticket wins and attacks Canada then the Dems and Obama would "go to war" with Israel. The Jerusalem Straw Man means dick and I know you are smart enough to know that.

But I am sure you know all about it seeing as you are Jewish and all and have relatives in Israel...right?
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X