Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I'm going to have to do a quick FYP on that one.
    Right. Cause we all know GW Bush didn't get 90% of his agenda passed.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Right. Cause we all know GW Bush didn't get 90% of his agenda passed.
      He had just as much of a mandate as Obama at the time: two years.

Comment

He had just as much of a mandate as Obama at the time: two years.
        Crock.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The only real solution to gridlock is to give one party the keys, and for that you need a wave election plus a strong incumbent of the same party plus systemic forces that are pushing for change rather than the status quo.

I can't see that happening in November for either party under any set of circumstances, so I think what we see is what we get for another few years. The Republicans are the logical party to emerge with a strong majority across the board, but they are locked in their demographic and ideological death spiral right now.

By 2020 I expect the political landscape to be unrecognizable. The GOP has to change or die, and modern major parties do not die. With the GOP changing significantly it will be like conference realignment, with dramatic effects on Democratic constituencies even though they didn't initiate the change.

I would not be surprised if the new order that emerges has much more regional diversity within the parties, like what we see now with Governships and state houses. The "big box store" model of the national parties is becoming obsolete.
          Last edited by Kepler; 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            The only real solution to gridlock is to give one party the keys, and for that you need a wave election plus a strong incumbent of the same party plus systemic forces that are pushing for change rather than the status quo.

I can't see that happening in November for either party under any set of circumstances, so I think what we see is what we get for another few years.
            Right. And I'd rather have what we have now then some nutbar who wants to go to war with Iran and Russia in there.

Comment

Crock.
              The GOP did not control both the house and senate until 2003.

Comment

Right. And I'd rather have what we have now then some nutbar who wants to go to war with Iran and Russia in there.
                So, you want some nutbar who wants to go to war with Israel in there?

Comment

We still had bipartisan cooperation at that time. It's gotten progressively worse over the last decade. Thus, Obama has had it MUCH WORSE than GW ever did.

Comment

Militarism and aggression are hemlines within the parties. For most of the 20th Century the Republicans were far more conservative in involving the US in the world's eternal whack-a-mole game while the Dems wanted to be all over the globe spreading the Gospel of America. Now it has reversed. It will, eventually, reverse again.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Factually incorrect. GOP controlled the Senate coming out of the 2000 elections due to Cheney being the tiebreaker vote in a 50/50 Senate. Only until Jeffords switched in early 2002 I believe did the inept Daschle become majority leader, a position he held until Jan of 2003 when the new Congress took over after the Nov elections which gave the Republicans a clear majority.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Militarism and aggression are hemlines within the parties. For most of the 20th Century the Republicans were far more conservative in involving the US in the world's eternal whack-a-mole game while the Dems wanted to be all over the globe spreading the Gospel of America. Now it has reversed. It will, eventually, reverse again.
                        I disagree. I think the Dems are done with global whack-a-mole.

Comment

I disagree. I think the Dems are done with global whack-a-mole.
                          We can hope they are done for our lifetime, anyway. I can imagine a future Muscular Liberalism launching a crusade to free the world from religious fundamentalism, the way the US had led defense against other forms of dictatorship. Imagine say a Pentacostal South America becomes militarized by Christianists who want to give the Islamists a run for their money and nuke the world for Jesus. Who's gonna stop them? We have our own fundy fifth column to worry about on the right.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 09-07-2012, 09:05 AM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

We can hope they are done for our lifetime, anyway. I can imagine a future Muscular Liberalism launching a crusade to free the world from religious fundamentalism, the way the US had led defense against other forms of dictatorship. Imagine say a Pentacostal South America becomes militarized by Christianists who want to give the Islamists a run for their money and nuke the world for Jesus. Who's gonna stop them? We have our own fundy fifth column to worry about on the right.
                            Hopefully Afghanistan has proved that some things aren't worth fighting. Hell, most of the free elections in the Middle East are electing fundamentalists anyway. What's the point? Even our own elections are electing fundamentalists.

Comment

Hopefully Afghanistan has proved that some things aren't worth fighting. Hell, most of the free elections in the Middle East are electing fundamentalists anyway. What's the point? Even our own elections are electing fundamentalists.
                              If Vietnam didn't prove that, I highly doubt Afghanistan would.

Comment

So, you want some nutbar who wants to go to war with Israel in there?
                                Wow...I gotta hear what part of your *** you pulled this one out of.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X