Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    That's not a "blame Republicans" argument. Clearly shows that you're only hearing the talking points.

The Republican governors were working WITH Obama to come up with a solution that they think (and can prove) is more effective.

Polly want a cracker?
    Scooby said to answer my question of "Then why, when you are on unemployment, are you no longer required to submit proof of submitting two job application forms each week, whether paper or electronic?", and I quote: "Those exceptions were asked for by Republican Governors. You'll have to ask them." Also, Scooby mentioned in the article he quoted that there is a provision that these states must increase their work force. Where is the proof of that? Calling out a specific party for purposes of branding is just plain sickening.

Look, I don't hold water for anyone who claims to be part of a specific party. If they do something stupid, I'll call them out on it. All of these governors, regardless of party, did something stupid by trying to legislate against human nature. Any human is only going to do work out of one of two reasons: necessity (i.e. don't work don't eat), or self pride. The second does not happen with high probability, and even then, it typically is provoked by another desire to make yourself textbook-worthy (e.g. the Buffett rule). If someone doesn't have to work and receives what equates to them as being a free lunch, of course they're going to take it. If you don't have to actually look for work in order to receive unemployment benefits, then why would you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Nostalgia is the yearning for a Golden Age that "always is and never was." Life was simple when we were children and so we view the past with sepia tones and think it was better. It wasn't. It has always been hard to be an adult. If you actually go back and read what people were saying and doing at any given time life has always been hard. The "innocent time" the GOP hankers for was one where people were terrified every day the world was going to end in nuclear apocalypse, racism was virulent, and gays and women were mocked if they ever stepped out of their assigned social roles. Screw that -- I'd rather try to make the real world better than try and crawl back into a fictional womb.
      Pretty funny coming from proponents of the party that's yearning for the good old days of the Peace Dividend and the Dot Com Boom Bubble...
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        Pretty funny coming from proponents of the party that's yearning for the good old days of the Peace Dividend and the Dot Com Boom Bubble...
        "Losers give excuses. Winners go fuck the homecoming queen."

*****http://i.qkme.me/3qsayf.jpg******
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Good speech by the old boy. I too had the same feeling, which is that Clinton should be serving his 5th term right now! Amazing how he can go double his allotted time and nobody cares.

I have noticed a total difference in themes though. The GOP convention was about returning to a past time. Retrying policies that had already been tried before, or bringing social issues back to an earlier era. Maybe that's a winner. We'll find out soon enough. The Dem convention was a lot more about where we're going in the future. Interesting difference.
          I think Bill did himself as many favors last night as Obama. It will continue to enhance what is turning to be Bill's very strong legacy.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

"Losers give excuses. Winners go fuck the homecoming queen."

*****http://i.qkme.me/3qsayf.jpg******
            I prefer it the way Connery said it:

******* width="420" height="315">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvzIw7fyA2k?version=3&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZvzIw7fyA2k?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              I think Bill did himself as many favors last night as Obama. It will continue to enhance what is turning to be Bill's very strong legacy.
              It doesn't hurt Chelsea, either.

(I would advise her to stay out of that snake pit. She seems like a perfectly reasonable and nice person. Don't chase that dragon, kid.)
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It doesn't hurt Chelsea, either.

(I would advise her to stay out of that snake pit. She seems like a perfectly reasonable and nice person. Don't chase that dragon, kid.)
                Hang around long enough to kick Rush into a coma for picking on a 12 year old girl, then get out.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

What? Sandra Fluke had a prime-time speaking slot last night? what more does she have to say about why someone who can afford to go to Georgetown Law School can't afford $9 / month for birth control pills so that she has to pout about forcing her insurance company to pay for them?
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Hang around long enough to kick Rush into a coma for picking on a 12 year old girl, then get out.
                    I'm sure she could not care less about that doddering Has Been.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      What? Sandra Fluke had a prime-time speaking slot last night? what more does she have to say about why someone who can afford to go to Georgetown Law School can't afford $9 / month for birth control pills so that she has to pout about forcing her insurance company to pay for them?
                      Need to keep in mind the goals. It had less to do with her message and more to targeting young women. I have little doubt that 20 something women are at the top of the list for dems.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        Need to keep in mind the goals. It had less to do with her message and more to targeting young women. I have little doubt that 20 something women are at the top of the list for dems.
                        So free birth control is just another pander tactic?
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

bread and circuses??
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                            The most impressive part of Clinton's speech was how he successfully staked a claim for the political center by listing his accomplishments working with Republicans. Didn't hurt he subtly was able to fold Eisenhower, Reagan, and possibly a few other Republicans (there was a football game on and it was a long speech so I was clicking) into the speech.

While Clinton's speech rallied the troops is was most definitely aimed at the undecided. He really can give a hell of a speech.
                            Is it a successful speech if he leaves those in the hall, or watching on tv wishing he was the nominee?
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              bread and circuses??
                              Everything I want is A Vital National Interest.

Everything you want is pandering.
                              Cornell University

Comment

It's not free. Never was free. However, there is a HUGE cost savings to everyone if it is available via insurance.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X