Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Yeah, there's even a big hockey meanie over on the D1 board who wants to kick me off of USCHO.

Not sure I'd call Dubbie a meanie. More of a simpleton/annoyance.

Hope this isn't like Beetlejuice where mentioning his name 3 times can bring him in coz he hasn't discovered the cafe yet.

Dubbie. Dubbie. Dub...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Not sure I'd call Dubbie a meanie. More of a simpleton/annoyance.

Hope this isn't like Beetlejuice where mentioning his name 3 times can bring him in coz he hasn't discovered the cafe yet.

Dubbie. Dubbie. Dub...
      Oh, yeah. Him discussing politics. That would be lovely.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        Oh, yeah. Him discussing politics. That would be lovely.

i don't know, by precedent, he'd have to like and support (and LOVE) both Michelle Bachman and Al Franken. Could be fun...

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          Tebow might want to give some thought to getting into politics.

Lord knows he can't throw a football.
          He can throw it well enough to be a multi-millionaire in his mid 20s.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            He can throw it well enough to be a multi-millionaire in his mid 20s.
            He's also in the group of quarterbacks who throw with their correct hand (Steve Young and Mark Brunell being a couple others).

Comment

Neither here nor there... but wow, Clint Eastwood looks old...

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                And can't really speak very well...
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  And can't really speak very well...
                  I thought he spoke quite clearly
                  Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Just too much pausing, fumbling for words, and "um-ing" for my taste - didn't really have a lot of stage presence, IMHO. I expected a more rousing, hard-line speech from him.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

What channel are you all watching?

Me: FoxN

And Mitt just a reminder -- having is not the same as wanting. If you get the big chair next January, reality sucks big time. It's not going to be easy.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Best comment of the night:

*****http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e2017c31904c03970b-550wi******
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          He is old.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

RomneyBot is running the GOP VP (Vapid Platitude) program pretty well, but the stainless steel articulated rotary joint that controls its head pivot seems poorly calibrated.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              RomneyBot is running the GOP VP (Vapid Platitude) program pretty well, but the stainless steel articulated rotary joint that controls its head pivot seems poorly calibrated.
                              William Kepler ‏@wkepred
                              Time for change
                              OK, it's not you, but a distant relative (and don't be catty about it)?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Not quite sure what to make of Romney's speech. A few too many vapid platitudes for my taste, though I suppose they are de riguer to "rally the base" these days.

I thought he missed an opportunity to lay out a real clear, concrete specific foundation behind his "five point plan." In fact, those two paragraphs were about the only time that genuine passion for the job really shone through, you could almost hear the bullet points and see the vision of the powerpoint slide show for those few moments.

I'm sure it's clear enough in his mind....I think it would have helped quite a bit if he elucidated a bit further just how powerfully integrated that five point plan really is:
                                > the low interest rates that are essential to keep the deficit from exploding due to the interest on the burgeoning national debt also mean that there is a lot of potential capital sitting idle on the sidelines
                                > the uncertainty of how much more severe the regulatory burden will become is intimidating entrepreneurs from taking even a modest risk
                                > the viciousness of the "punish the rich" proposals means people have to take extra precautionary steps to protect themselves, and that also is stifling innovation
                                > unnecessarily high energy costs impede business profits; anemic business profits impede hiring
                                > we need jobs

"I understand how by addressing all of these problems simultaneously in an integrated, co-ordinated manner we can unleash profoundly powerful synergistic effects: give entrepreneurs a chance to succeed in energy development, you put idle capital to work, entrepreneurs start purchasing things from companies that produce energy extraction equipment, people get hired both to extract the energy and to build the tools needed with which to extract the energy, which means these folks all have paychecks to spend on better food and nicer clothes which puts even more people to work."

that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear, and it wasn't there.

That virtuous circle is second nature to him; but it is a foreign concept to most people. He needed to make that sing, to turn it into concrete simple pictures for ordinary folk, and he didn't.

He demonstrated that he is a decent and earnest man who keeps his word. That's nice enough as far as it goes, Mitt; but in these times we need more than that.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X