Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    If GM had gone into bankruptcy GM would no longer exist. They needed a loan that NO ONE was going to give them or they were not going to survive.
    You do understand that people were voided out of their stake based upon politics and not law, yes?
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      You do understand that people were voided out of their stake based upon politics and not law, yes?
      Aaah, so? I was screwed along with millions of other Americans out of my money by thieves and scoundrels. What's the diff?
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Aaah, so? I was screwed along with millions of other Americans out of my money by thieves and scoundrels. What's the diff?
        The difference is that the company had a legal obligation to pay off the bondholders with whatever they could. They didn't. In turn the government changed the rules on who gets first lien in that particular situation.

Oh well, just another example of the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.

Comment

Glass–Steagall was repealed by politics, too.

If you want to steal, use a gun. If you want to steal A LOT, use a Senator.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Glass–Steagall was repealed by law, too.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Glass–Steagall was repealed by politics, too.

Once again, there's a big difference between shareholders and bondholders.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Once again, there's a big difference between shareholders and bondholders.
                That can be changed as well.

Comment

That can be changed as well.
                  And then, you can have countless numbers of unsuccessful bond auctions, both private and public.

Comment

I see the knuckledragger caucus is out here once again peeing themselves because the auto bailout was successful! I realize you guys wanted that industry exported to China also, but no such luck.

But, just so no lie goes unchallenged, lets take 'em one at a time.

Caveman theory #1: Obama auto restructing illegal. (Fishy's rule of law comment). Bankruptcy was approved by federal court. If it were illegal, they wouldn't have approved it, no?

Caveman theory #2: Bondholders got screwed. (Flag, Patman). Bondholders were going to take it in the shorts regardless. However yes they did get less pennies on the dollar than the pennies on the dollar they would have gotten from melting down the plants and selling off the furniture. A much larger stakeholder benefited though. The American taxpayer.

Cavemen theory #3: GM would have survived a normal bankrupcy (Fishy again). As has been said, no private industry would lend them money for continuing operations, so they would have gone under. Hence, no "normal" bankruptcy would have applied. If there was such money available, why didn't a company like...oh, I don't know....Bain Capital provide it?

But, this is all irrelavent. All you need to do is talk to Rep. Paul Ryan, who clearly didn't think this was all too problematic when he supported it!!!
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      I see the knuckledragger caucus is out here once again peeing themselves because the auto bailout was successful! I realize you guys wanted that industry exported to China also, but no such luck.

But, just so no lie goes unchallenged, lets take 'em one at a time.

Caveman theory #1: Obama auto restructing illegal. (Fishy's rule of law comment). Bankruptcy was approved by federal court. If it were illegal, they wouldn't have approved it, no?

Caveman theory #2: Bondholders got screwed. (Flag, Patman). Bondholders were going to take it in the shorts regardless. However yes they did get less pennies on the dollar than the pennies on the dollar they would have gotten from melting down the plants and selling off the furniture. A much larger stakeholder benefited though. The American taxpayer.

Cavemen theory #3: GM would have survived a normal bankrupcy (Fishy again). As has been said, no private industry would lend them money for continuing operations, so they would have gone under. Hence, no "normal" bankruptcy would have applied. If there was such money available, why didn't a company like...oh, I don't know....Bain Capital provide it?

But, this is all irrelavent. All you need to do is talk to Rep. Paul Ryan, who clearly didn't think this was all too problematic when he supported it!!!
                      You Ryan apologist you!
                      Originally posted by Priceless
                      Good to see you're so reasonable.
                      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                      Very well, said.
                      Originally posted by Rover
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

GM would have survived a normal bankrupcy (Fishy again). As has been said, no private industry would lend them money for continuing operations, so they would have gone under. Hence, no "normal" bankruptcy would have applied.
                        I see the name-caller brigade is out in force today, trying to use slander when reason fails.

GM did not "need" to be lent money to continue operations; they had enough cash on hand to operate as long as they were relieved from pension obligations (which has in fact since happened, using taxpayer money).

and whether the bailout "worked" or not is still to be determined; there are a lot of unsold GM cars sitting in dealer showrooms.

and finally, it is despicable and irresponsible for you to pretend that anyone "wanted" GM to fail. We all wanted it to succeed if it could. The question is at what cost and for whom to benefit.

The only person who seems gleefully to delight in another's suffering around here is you. I haven't seen anyone else be as mean-spirited to others outside of Foxton in a thread about religion. You even brag about how you rip into people at work. If anyone were to behave like that here, they wouldn't be on the payroll much longer.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          You even brag about how you rip into people at work. If anyone were to behave like that here, they wouldn't be on the payroll much longer.
                          I'm sure the standards in the food service industry that you work in are quite high Fishy! People get what they deserve, starting with knuckledraggers. When you guys get some ideas that don't benefit China more than the US get back to me.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I'm sure the standards in the food service industry that you work in are quite high Fishy! People get what they deserve, starting with knuckledraggers. When you guys get some ideas that don't benefit China more than the US get back to me.
                            So it's OK to change the rules so long as it benefits you? I haven't heard that before, only any other libstain out there. The ACLU, the feminist movement, the unions...

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              I haven't seen anyone else be as mean-spirited to others outside of Foxton in a thread about religion.

I suppose that "*******," "libstain," & "dip****" are just cute little nicknames signifying endearment.

There's other big meanies around here besides the two left-leaning ones that you've pointed out.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                I suppose that "*******," "libstain," & "dip****" are just cute little nicknames signifying endearment.

There's other big meanies around here besides the two left-leaning ones that you've pointed out.

Just sayin'.
                                Yeah, there's even a big hockey meanie over on the D1 board who wants to kick me off of USCHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X