Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Shortlist of RNC "Mystery Date" speculation:

Zombie Reagan
    Nancy Reagan
    Clint Eastwood
    Tim Tebow
    Saint Joan of Alaska
    Ted Nugent (OK, I'll admit it, I would watch that)
    Colin Powell
    Stanley McCrystal
    Nobody (all just a buzz creation)
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      You know it's bad when even Fox News calls out Ryan's speech for being "deceiving."
      I always knew you were a closet Fox News fan.

And as MinnFan notes, the news outlet isn't always determinative of how sympathetic a commenter is on a given situation, as seems to be the case here.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I second the Ted Nugent choice. Personally I think a move like that would make Mittens unbeatable in Michigan!!! (Nugent is the Motor City Madman, right?)
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          I second the Ted Nugent choice. Personally I think a move like that would make Mittens unbeatable in Michigan!!! (Nugent is the Motor City Madman, right?)
          We'd have to respond with Suzi Quatro, to take both Michigan and Wisconsin (as Leather Tuscadero).
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Shortlist of RNC "Mystery Date" speculation:

Zombie Reagan
            Nancy Reagan
            Clint Eastwood
            Tim Tebow
            Saint Joan of Alaska
            Ted Nugent (OK, I'll admit it, I would watch that)
            Colin Powell
            Stanley McCrystal
            Nobody (all just a buzz creation)
            I'd love it if it were Colin Powell, and it would fit the overall theme so far.

My money is on Clint though, especially as he is rumored to be flying to Florida today (I think joecct posted the first link below earlier). When he was elected as Mayor of Carmel, didn't he run as a Republican then?

http://www.krla870.com/blogs.aspx?bl...8-8818cb141d00

http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/30/fo...stery-speaker/

the fox news article to which the dailycaller site links also mentions Tim Tebow (!) as a potential mystery speaker. I doubt that one.
            Last edited by FreshFish; 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Tebow might want to give some thought to getting into politics.

Lord knows he can't throw a football.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

And... it's Eastwood. He comes on right after Taylor Hicks.

Pretty ironic that Eastwood did the "Imported in Detroit" super bowl ad, and now he endorses the guy who wanted to let Detroit go belly up.
                Cornell University

Comment

And... it's Eastwood. He comes on right after Taylor Hicks.

Pretty ironic that Eastwood did the "Imported in Detroit" super bowl ad, and now he endorses the guy who wanted to let Detroit go belly up.
                  Um, both Romney and Obama wanted GM to go through a bankruptcy process, no?

Romney merely said we should have followed the rule of law; Obama said we should arbitrarily adjust the bankruptcy process so that the UAW was protected while bondholders had to take losses even though under the rule of law they were supposed to have first priority under a reorganized company.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    Um, both Romney and Obama wanted GM to go through a bankruptcy process, no?

Romney merely said we should have followed the rule of law; Obama said we should arbitrarily adjust the bankruptcy process so that the UAW was protected while bondholders had to take losses even though under the rule of law they were supposed to have first priority under a reorganized company.
                    Good Lord. Would you quit with the lies and Hannity talking points. Thanks.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Good Lord. Would you quit with the lies .
                      What's untrue?

GM was reorganized, right?

UAW did get preferential treatment, right?

Bondholders did get moved down the priority list, right?

So, since all three of those things are true, there is no lie, right?

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        What's untrue?
                        If GM had gone into bankruptcy GM would no longer exist. They needed a loan that NO ONE was going to give them or they were not going to survive.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

If GM had gone into bankruptcy GM would no longer exist. They needed a loan that NO ONE was going to give them or they were not going to survive.
                          Do we need to bring DrD back in here in order to explain how the bondholders were royally screwed?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Do we need to bring DrD back in here in order to explain how the bondholders were royally screwed?
                            Oh, well. Every investment carries risk. I got screwed in 2008 as well. No ones crying for me.

Comment

You apparently don't know very much about corporate reorganization under the bankruptcy laws. GM didn't "need" a loan, GM needed debt relief, in particular relief from its pension obligations. The loan bailed out the UAW, not GM.

There are dozens of companies still in business today that have gone through reorganization under the bankruptcy laws.

also, I thought you said you never watch Hannity? I don't, and so I don't know what his "talking points" are. How come you do??
                              Last edited by FreshFish; 08-30-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

So my expectation is that there will be some popping of the blister after this election, because it will have been such a stark choice. Where Republicans refuse to cooperate on things that I know are good for the American people, I will continue to look for ways to do it administratively and work around Congress.
                                That would be the president... good to know that he plans on expanding his tyrannical role. My wish is that Romney would stomp him for this tonight.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X