Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convention junkies can obsess details here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convention junkies can obsess details here!

I was sort of hoping joecct would start a thread like this one.....anyway......

I don't know why I've always found political conventions so interesting....it's like a pep rally for politicians in which for a few days we get excitement over ideas, and sometimes some great zingers too.

I still remember Ann Richards' address at the 1988 Democratic convention, talking about GHWB: "Poor George, he just can't help himself, he was born with a silver foot in his mouth." Governor Richards could have had a supplemental career in stand-up if she wanted it.

I was a bit young in 1968 to understand what all the shouting and fighting was about; still that left quite an impression on a pre-teen mind.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 08-29-2012, 07:15 AM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Re: Convention junkies can obsess details here!

It was edgy weird fun to watch Artur Davis' speech last night....sort of like Chris Rock does the Hamptons.

Davis was really funny, in a sly subtle way. It's well worth watching his speech on youtube if you can find it (maybe I'll have time to chase down the link later and post it).

You could tell though that the audience wasn't quite aligned with his timing and didn't quite know what to make of him; and I got the sense that he was struggling a little bit to find a rhythm with his audience as well. It was a very effective speech, especially when he said "we were all inspired by Obama's words; and we became disappointed when he failed to live up to them." You could feel the authenticity come through.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Would it have killed one of these Republicans to start their speech off with the line..."YABA DABA DOOOO" ?
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Would it have killed one of these Republicans to start their speech off with the line..."YABA DABA DOOOO" ?
        That would presuppose humor.

Not a lot of humor among this lot. Unless you count jokes about legitimate rape.

P.J. O'Rourke said something like, "you can always tell which party is in ascendance by two things: who tells the best jokes and who has the cutest girls on the convention floor." If he's right, the Republicans are as dead as Mussolini.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I guess I'm in a minority (along with Juan Williams) on Ann Romney's speech.

I do have to give her props for an effective speaking style for someone who rarely gives speeches.

However, Juan said "corporate wife" in his recap, and that seemed spot on to me (though he was the only one to view it that way on the panel).

The whole "I empathize with regular women" part came across to me as a bit stilted and forced.

The second part of her speech, where she talked about her husband, did come across as genuine. However it was a bit vapid. She alluded to some important things in passing, without fleshing any of them out. An opportunity to make Mitt human that didn't happen. Not a single ilustrative anecdote, just three references to that high-school suitor who made her laugh.

C'mon Ann if he made you laugh you could at least have shared with us one of his jokes!

Comment

I thought Ann Romney was fine, but I'm amused by some of the coverage. Hit a home run and all that. Has a spouse of a nominee ever bombed their speech? Usually its a pretty easy one to make. I don't know how long candidate's wives have been giving a prime time address but they're usually pretty standard (guy is a wonderful husband and father, if you knew him like I did, blah blah blah).

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

I thought Ann Romney was fine, but I'm amused by some of the coverage. Hit a home run and all that. Has a spouse of a nominee ever bombed their speech? Usually its a pretty easy one to make. I don't know how long candidate's wives have been giving a prime time address but they're usually pretty standard (guy is a wonderful husband and father, if you knew him like I did, blah blah blah).
              James Buchanan.

Comment

It's a story the networks love because it won't make anybody angry. It's perfect for the third hour of Good Morning America, or that kind of crap. Even better is if you can get a candidate's brat up there about how daddy built a tree house this one time...

Everybody does it. The sad thing is it probably swings more votes than all the position papers in the campaign.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  "I empathize with regular women"
                  What about constipated women or post-menopausal women?

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  C'mon Ann if he made you laugh you could at least have shared with us one of his jokes!
                  She thought it was hilarious when he beat up the nerds. I'm willing to excuse him for it though - every Detroiter knows Cranbrook is full of little snots who deserve a good arsekicking.

Comment

Nikki Haley was doing great in her speech until her moment of cognitive dissonance, which was bizarre. Here's she's giving an inspiring speech about her immigrant parents, and suddenly she's talking about taking the Obama administration to court over South Carolina's immigration statute?

Didn't anyone "proof-read" her remarks first and suggest maybe leaving out that one line?

Comment

Ryan's speech should be interesting. Galbraith had his number 50 years ago:

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        James Buchanan.
                        Shortest speech ever by a spouse!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          The sad thing is it probably swings more votes than all the position papers in the campaign.
                          That's, at least in part, due to the fact that there are more spouse speeches than position papers.
                          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                          Groucho Marx
                          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                          Ron White
                          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                          Milo Bloom

Comment

Shortest speech ever by a spouse!
                            Tied, actually, with Grover Cleveland's first campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                              That's, at least in part, due to the fact that there are more spouse speeches than position papers.
                              Yeah, I love that the GOP talking point if they're not afraid to take the unpopular stances. You know, the ones they'll announce right after the election...
                              Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                              X