Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elections 2012: Quebecois could go for another split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elections 2012: Quebecois could go for another split?

http://pressrepublican.com/0205_colu...uebec-election

Quebec's election on September 4th pits a secessionist vs. English-style liberal. I still remember following the secession vote back in 1995, and wow was it close. If the incumbent does not win, we could see more debates along those lines.

Re: Elections 2012: Quebecois could go for another split?

What would you call the Canadiens if Quebec did separate?
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
      What would you call the Canadiens if Quebec did separate?
      What most hockey fans call them, the Habs?

Comment

It would be the fastest way for Quebec City to drop about 40 slots on the "expansion/transfer" list for an NHL team, especially since the common belief is that the island of Montreal would refuse to go with the rest of Quebec, leaving all current franchises in Canada.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          It would be the fastest way for Quebec City to drop about 40 slots on the "expansion/transfer" list for an NHL team, especially since the common belief is that the island of Montreal would refuse to go with the rest of Quebec, leaving all current franchises in Canada.
          You must be naive to think Der Fuhrer Bettman would give a team to a Canadian city.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Western Quebec doesn't like it, either. It's only the east and the north that are vehemently Francophone.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
              You must be naive to think Der Fuhrer Bettman would give a team to a Canadian city.
              You should let the people of Winnipeg know they paid all that money for five years of tickets to watch OHL hockey.

Or try to go ten minutes without saying something stupid. Either or.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

You should let the people of Winnipeg know they paid all that money for five years of tickets to watch OHL hockey.

Or try to go ten minutes without saying something stupid. Either or.
                Jim Balsille says hello.

Chipman and True North had cash. That's what eventually won out. If someone in Atlanta had the kind of coin, they'd still be the Thrashers. Mr. Bettman doesn't like admitting defeat when it comes to his Southern campaign a la Gen. McClellan.

Comment

I really don't follow this stuff, but I do wonder, where does the Quebec secession talk leave the Maritime Provinces?

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    I really don't follow this stuff, but I do wonder, where does the Quebec secession talk leave the Maritime Provinces?
                    East of them
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      East of them
                      Very nice.

Comment

I was living in VT during the 1995 referendum. There were people at the time advocating that they would be states 51, 52, and 53....
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          I was living in VT during the 1995 referendum. There were people at the time advocating that they would be states 51, 52, and 53....
                          Woah now. Let's keep the Newfies in Canada please...
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            Probably now, Vermont would want to go with Quebec. :P I've heard some weird stuff during my time growing up on the west side of the lake.

Comment

It does leave them isolated, but Lesotho's trapped by South Africa, so it won't be like it hasn't happened before. Not to mention, West Berlin inside East Germany. This is one of the downfalls to the 9/11 attacks, because New York and New England could very well be used in transportation (and no, we are NOT becoming part of Canada). Actually, at least this was the case in the 50's, there were a few exclusively Francophone areas of the Maritimes, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them go along. One thing that might become a problem, though, is Ottawa, as it's right on the border.

Comment

Working...
                              X