Things to do in Duluth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in Duluth

Just found out that we will be tagging along with my wife on business and will be in Duluth Friday & Saturday. One of my favorite small cities that I've been to.

We've been to Duluth several times, but want to know what we've missed.

I'm sure we'll hit Canal Park for at least a meal, but we've done that. Done the beach beyond the lift bridge.

I've got two boys age 10 & 13. Not really into zoos, aquariums or museums. Looking for cool things to do outdoors. Waterfalls or rapids that are safe to swim in, cool beaches, etc.

Will probably go up the shore a bit, at least to Two Harbors.

Any suggestions from locals or people who know would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for the outdoor stuff as well as good moderately-priced places to eat (a micro-brewery?), any cool shopping districts (is there anything like Uptown in Minneapolis or State Street here in Madison?) and anything else that is cool.

Heard there was some city park up the hill that was really cool with rapids maybe?

Sorry for the ramble. Thanks!

Re: Things to do in Duluth

Isn't there a cave tour in/near Duluth? Who doesn't like caves!
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Olive Garden.

Ah shoot, that's Grand Forks. Sorry, I got nothin'.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        Olive Garden.

Ah shoot, that's Grand Forks. Sorry, I got nothin'.

We're actually thinking of jogging over there on the ride home so we can hit it. Gotta see what all the hype is about!
        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 08-22-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Sammy's Pizza (103 W. 1st Street) -- you could do worse. Plus it's got that "this is the same as how it looked in '59" thing going on.
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

A microbrewery with food would be The Brewhouse, its in the Fitger's Building on Superior St which also has a bunch of little shops in it. Tycoons is downtown and they are owned by the same people as The Brewhouse, there's a bar in the basement called The Rathskellar that serves craft beers and whiskey from around the world on a rotating menu. The park they may have been referring to is Lester Park on the east end of town.
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Drive up to Tettegouche State Park and hike up to the High Falls and also to the end of Shovel Point. Both are well worth your time.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Gooseberry Falls is fun to fool around in.

On second thought, I would keep your kids out of there.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  I've got two boys age 10 & 13. Not really into zoos, aquariums or museums. Looking for cool things to do outdoors. Waterfalls or rapids that are safe to swim in, cool beaches, etc.

Will probably go up the shore a bit, at least to Two Harbors...
                  Being located further up the shore, Lutsen is likely beyond your range for this trip. But if it's doable, the Alpine Slide at the ski resort would definitely appeal to your boys. I also recall having good meals at the Main Lodge down at the lake front.

Hope that info is still current; it's probably been 15 years since I've been up there...

Comment

Thanks for reminding me. Out at Spirit Mountain, west end of Duluth, they have a unique mini golf course, alpine coaster, and zip line.
                    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Gooseberry Falls is fun to fool around in.

On second thought, I would keep your kids out of there.
                      I believe I've been there. Is that where there's a sign that says something to the effect of "Dangerous falls, lives have been lost here?"

Of course I had to go for a closer look while the wife sighed and said something about natural selection under her breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                        Drive up to Tettegouche State Park and hike up to the High Falls and also to the end of Shovel Point. Both are well worth your time.
                        This is probably a little further than we can do with only two days up there but we're planning a trip for next summer to the top of the trail and I'll write it down for then.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks all. Keep em coming.

Did this in the Tech thread before going to the Keweenaw for the first time a few years ago and it made all the difference in the world and we had a great trip.

Comment

We've spent a lot of vacation time on the North Shore, and I can never get enough of the Temperance River. Beautiful and amazing walking up on the rock, a nice trail along the river once you've cleared the chasm, and a perfect place for skipping rocks at the mouth. Haven't been for a few years now, and I miss it. Sniff.
                            "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

As featured in Triple D, I have not yet been but my Duluth relatives have raved about it.

The drive on old Hwy 61 between Duluth & Two Harbors is tremendous, and here's another great stop in Two Harbors if you're feeling tacky and abrasive. Don't tell my boss(es) I haven't been there yet, hopefully it is required for employment.....lol.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                              X