X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HumRsky
    replied
    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

And the Anchor Bar is overrated. I wasn't expecting a WHOLE lot, but it still was very meh. Frankly, it was just another check-off of the DDD list.
    You must have gone on a bad day ( which happens), but I have had the best burgers of my life there, and I've had a lot of burgers.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied
    Re: Things to do in Duluth

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    True story. I believe the place has become even busier with its Diner's, Dives and Drive In's fame.
    After we told you about it, you go every time tech is there

I recommend: Duluth Grill (A MUST), Uncle Louis Cafe (for huge portions for breakfast), Mexico Lindo, Pizza Luce (not Duluth specific but still good), Sammy's Pizza, Coney Island (my dad always took me there) and the Portland Malt Shop for some ice cream.

If you go to Two Harbors you have to drive the few more miles to Gooseberry Falls State Park (it is a North Shore tradition). Just keep your kids close and don't let them get too close to the edges. You can even hike down to the Lake and look at the Agate Beach.

Enger Tower has a great view of the whole city. Chester Creek Park and Lester River Park have the falls and rapids you are looking for within Duluth. Hawk Ridge is where you an see some nerdy bird watchers and cool birds.

As for shopping there is the spread out downtown area and the Dewitt Sietz Building in Canal Park has some interesting shops that your wife might like.

That's all I can think of for now...
    Is Uncle Louie's that dive-diner-type place? It has booths pretty much just on one side of the place, and the counter on the other? If so, so much YES. The omelettes are awesome.

And the Anchor Bar is overrated. I wasn't expecting a WHOLE lot, but it still was very meh. Frankly, it was just another check-off of the DDD list.

Leave a comment:

• HumRsky
    replied

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    True story. I believe the place has become even busier with its Diner's, Dives and Drive In's fame.

I recommend: Duluth Grill (A MUST), Uncle Louis Cafe (for huge portions for breakfast), Mexico Lindo, Pizza Luce (not Duluth specific but still good), Sammy's Pizza, Coney Island (my dad always took me there) and the Portland Malt Shop for some ice cream.
    Those are all good place and I also highly recommend both Northern Water's Smokehaus and the Brewhouse. Even though the street is seedier, "Deluxe Coney Island" on 1st street is WAY better than "Original Coney Island" on Superior St. If you're into Triple D, Gordy's Hi-Hat in Cloquet and At Sarah's Table/Chester Creek Cafe near UMD were also featured.

Recently went on a trip up the shore and Sugarloaf Cove has a beautiful beach, although also probably a bit farther than you want to go. If you head up to Gooseberry, eat at the Rustic Inn in Castle Danger. Great food and better pies than Betty's/

Leave a comment:

• Biddco
    replied

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    Except the Anchor Bar is over there.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I hear from the UMD fans that the bathhouse place is pretty nice.

If you go to Two Harbors you have to drive the few more miles to Gooseberry Falls State Park (it is a North Shore tradition). Just keep your kids close and don't let them get too close to the edges. You can even hike down to the Lake and look at the Agate Beach.

Enger Tower has a great view of the whole city. Chester Creek Park and Lester River Park have the falls and rapids you are looking for within Duluth. Hawk Ridge is where you an see some nerdy bird watchers and cool birds.

As for shopping there is the spread out downtown area and the Dewitt Sietz Building in Canal Park has some interesting shops that your wife might like.

That's all I can think of for now...

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

I hear from the UMD fans that the bathhouse place is pretty nice.

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
    The cartoon lion who sounds like Bleeding Gums Murphey says one mustn't' go there.

Leave a comment:

• Flashy Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post

Leave a comment:

• Dude Love
    replied

That's the next stop on bbdl's debauchery train: GILFs.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

As opposed to Superior:

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
    Get drunk and go do grandmas. That's all I do when I'm up there.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Love
    replied

Go to Grandma's and get drunk. That's all I do when I'm up there.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

This is true because science.

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

All you need to know about Duluth.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

As featured in Triple D, I have not yet been but my Duluth relatives have raved about it.

The drive on old Hwy 61 between Duluth & Two Harbors is tremendous, and here's another great stop in Two Harbors if you're feeling tacky and abrasive. Don't tell my boss(es) I haven't been there yet, hopefully it is required for employment.....lol.
    The "Honka Tree" (that's the name I learned) on that highway is long gone, though. That tree was a landmark, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

As featured in Triple D, I have not yet been but my Duluth relatives have raved about it.

The drive on old Hwy 61 between Duluth & Two Harbors is tremendous, and here's another great stop in Two Harbors if you're feeling tacky and abrasive. Don't tell my boss(es) I haven't been there yet, hopefully it is required for employment.....lol.

Leave a comment:

• Carter
    replied

We've spent a lot of vacation time on the North Shore, and I can never get enough of the Temperance River. Beautiful and amazing walking up on the rock, a nice trail along the river once you've cleared the chasm, and a perfect place for skipping rocks at the mouth. Haven't been for a few years now, and I miss it. Sniff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X