Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things to do near Grand Marais

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    My folks really enjoyed Naniboujou for both the foot and the lodge itself - probably worth it just to stop in and see the place.
    A stop will be made there no matter what. Maybe I'll see if we can go to a Tim Horton's in Thunder Bay. I've never been!
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Re: Things to do in Duluth

After all of these replies, I am very disappointed that the 'Toga wasn't mentioned.

But seriously: Can't believe no one mentioned The Pickwick and Top of the Harbor (Now JJ Astor's.....rotating dining room atop the Radisson).
      Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
        After all of these replies, I am very disappointed that the 'Toga wasn't mentioned.

But seriously: Can't believe no one mentioned The Pickwick and Top of the Harbor (Now JJ Astor's.....rotating dining room atop the Radisson).
        Duluth Family Spa (IIRC, that's the name?).
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Duluth Family Spa (IIRC, that's the name?).
          Duluth Family Sauna. I almost had the Techies convinced that it was a must-see. Almost.....

....then they Googled it.
          Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
            Duluth Family Sauna. I almost had the Techies convinced that it was a must-see. Almost.....

....then they Googled it.

Always a classic.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              Maybe I'll see if we can go to a Tim Horton's in Thunder Bay. I've never been!
              No kidding? We have Tim Horton's locations all over Columbus. Now that goes back to the past partnership between Wendy's & Tim Horton's. Columbus being Wendy's home base, we had Tim Horton's early on. But I was under the impression that they had spread around to the other states, or at least the northern states. Guess I'm mistaken!

Be that as it may, it is worth a stop. The wife swears by the coffee, and buys the large round tins to enjoy it at home. The donuts (and the rest of the menu) are very solid. Can't really say they'd be better than a good one-of-a-kind bakery, but they won't disappoint. And hey, it's a hockey thing, right?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                No kidding? We have Tim Horton's locations all over Columbus. Now that goes back to the past partnership between Wendy's & Tim Horton's. Columbus being Wendy's home base, we had Tim Horton's early on. But I was under the impression that they had spread around to the other states, or at least the northern states. Guess I'm mistaken!

Be that as it may, it is worth a stop. The wife swears by the coffee, and buys the large round tins to enjoy it at home. The donuts (and the rest of the menu) are very solid. Can't really say they'd be better than a good one-of-a-kind bakery, but they won't disappoint. And hey, it's a hockey thing, right?
                There used to be one in Hopkins (Minneapolis suburb) with a Wendy's a while ago, but I think just that Wendy's is left...too bad.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I always thought they were a Canada thing. Never seen one in Wisconsin or Illinois - although that doesn't mean they aren't here somewhere...

Duluth question: What's with the steam/smoke rising from the sewers in the middle of summer?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    There used to be one in Hopkins (Minneapolis suburb) with a Wendy's a while ago, but I think just that Wendy's is left...too bad.
                    Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    I always thought they were a Canada thing. Never seen one in Wisconsin or Illinois - although that doesn't mean they aren't here somewhere...

Duluth question: What's with the steam/smoke rising from the sewers in the middle of summer?
                    The closest one to the Twin Cities within the United States is in western Michigan (about 10 hours away). The closes one to Cities is in Ft. Francis (across the river from International Falls) which is about 5 to 6 hours away.

As for the steam/smoke I never really learned exactly why...figured it was because the pipes and air was way more moist and hotter than the air outside.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

As for the steam/smoke I never really learned exactly why...figured it was because the pipes and air was way more moist and hotter than the air outside.

I get that, just never seen it when it's 85 degrees out. Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Clearly it's a Canada thing, but they do some business on our side of the border. Similarly, Wendy's is a U.S. company that does business in Canada. It's not hard to see why the companies thought a partnership might work; and I remain a little puzzled as to why they went their separate ways. The combination has worked extremely well here in Central Ohio. But maybe when the split occurred, plans for further Tim Horton's in the U.S. were put on hold...

The closest one to the Twin Cities within the United States is in western Michigan (about 10 hours away). The closes one to Cities is in Ft. Francis (across the river from International Falls) which is about 5 to 6 hours away.
                        There's a Tim Horton's about a mile from my house. I won't take that for granted anymore.

Going around the Columbus area, you'd be hard pressed to find a Columbus suburb that didn't have at least one Tim Horton's location. So when you're passing through on your way to Pittsburgh next April...

Comment

Going around the Columbus area, you'd be hard pressed to find a Columbus suburb that didn't have at least one Tim Horton's location. So when you're passing through on your way to Pittsburgh next April...
                          I think I'd rather just take a nonstop to Pittsburgh instead of laying over in Columbus.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Good news for UAH fans.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            I think I'd rather just take a nonstop to Pittsburgh instead of laying over in Columbus.
                            Yeah, there aren't really many reasons to go through Columbus, except if you have a bizarre flight or if you're from Colorado and wish to punish yourself by driving across Kansas, Missouri, southern Illinois, southern Indiana, and Ohio.
                            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Why drive it? They build airplanes for a reason.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Yeah, yeah. Take the easy way out.

Just for the record, I travel enough to know that most MSP-PIT car traffic is going use the turnpike and go through Northern Ohio. And yes, if traveling individually or in pairs over that distance, most will likely fly. We were talking about long distance quests for a donut shop! The quickest way to Pittsburgh is pretty much beside the point.

Comment

Working...
                                X